• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transporting a handgun from WA State

Richard6218

imported post

Maybe someone on the California board can answer this question:

My son who is in the Navy in San Diego left his HK P2000 with me when he was transferred from his previous station in Bangor, WA. Now he has heard that if he buys a 10-round magazine the gun would be legal in CA, so he wants his sister to bring it down to him when she visits next month. She is not a gun person and is a bit uncomfortable about carrying a gun in her car, especially not knowing if it's legal. I have looked up this website, http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/p/gunlaws_ca.htm

This explains about transporting an UNloaded firearm but it doesn't answer any questions about its capacity. She will NOT be carrying any magazines "large capacity" or otherwise, but the concern is about the GUN's capacity.

Also, my son has heard another report that the 16 (?) round magazine may be legal because he bought it in Washington State where it was legal at the time, and therefore he can claim he's "grandfathered" into possessing it. Any advice on this?

I've tried to find something in the California Code on firearms but it's so lengthy my head swims after about ten minutes of reading. Any qualified advice will be much appreciated. :)

brad9point0

imported post

As long as its in a locked case unloaded you will have no problems. Ideally in the trunk, unloaded and in a locked case. The magazines are illegal to import in to the state if they hold more then 10 rounds. The grandfather clause only works if you had them IN California prior to 2000, and which would be impossible as this firearm only recently was made.

Good luck on the trip!

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one
year or in the state prison:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes
for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large capacity magazine.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Yep, you can transport short guns locked in any secure case other than your glove box or console. See PC 12025 & 12026.1

Unloaded is a must also in incorporated areas and any place where discharge is prohibited. See PC 12031.

As for capacity... guns don't have capacity, magazines do.

As for his "large capacity" mags, don't import them, as that is a crime, even if he owned them before the ban. See PC 12020

ETA citations.

Richard6218

imported post

Hey guys, thaks for the great advice. I'm not involved in this myself but I want to help my kids avoid any pitfalls. They're just trying to do it right.

Too bad you have to put up with all this liberal hokum.:( Have faith --- eventually justice will prevail. :)