• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mike Stollenwerk's video testimoney to DC Council re Ensign amendment last night (7 APR 09)

oilfieldtrash11

imported post

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.asp#355

§355. Ammunition Authorized for Taking Big Game and Nongame Birds and Nongame Mammals in Condor Range. In addition to those conditions provided for in sections 353 and 475, only centerfire rifle, centerfire pistol, muzzleloading, shotgun slug, and rimfire ammunition using projectiles certified pursuant to this section as containing no lead (as defined by subsection 353(h)) shall be used for the taking of big game and nongame birds and nongame mammals in condor range (see subsection 353(h)).

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/uplandgamebirdregs.asp#300b1a

§311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game. Only the following may be used to take resident small game:
(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun;
(b) Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or possessed when taking wild turkey. All shot shall be loose in the shell.
(c) Muzzle-loading shotguns;
(d) Falconry;
(e) Bow and arrow (see Section 354 for archery equipment regulations);
(f) Air rifles firing pellets and powered by compressed air or gas (0.20 caliber minimum for taking wild turkey); and firearm rifles and pistols for taking rabbits and squirrels, except in Los Angeles County, in addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d) and (e) above;
(g) In San Diego and Orange counties only, rabbits may be taken at any time during the open season by means of box traps. Such traps shall not exceed 24 inches in any dimension, shall be tended at least once every 24 hours, and shall show the name and address of the trap owner. All rabbits taken under this section shall be immediately killed and become a part of the daily bag limit;
it doesnt say anything against semi-auto shotguns, we have been stopped by DFG game wardens and they said nothing about semi-auto shotguns in our possession. They just checked to make sure that we had plugs in and made sure that it was plugged at 3 shells.

we use semi-shotguns in trap and skeet tournaments out here on the west coast, most commonly the snipe shoot which is 30 clays in one minute. 2 shooters. 3 throwing stations, 30 clays are thrown at random and we have to load and shoot as many clays as a team as we can. that is one of the beneficial uses for a semi auto. we also use semi autos for ducks.

The models are for example, Browning A5, Browning Gold, Remington 1187 which are all field guns.

Remember that this is California where I live and hunt. California is very strict on all of its laws regarding firearms, maybe a point to throw in there.

Another thing that is interesting, this is legal in California.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/01/26/at-14-the-410-ar-15-shotgun/

JediWithASniper

imported post

Is there anyway someone can upload this clip to youtube, and give a link for it. For some reason I can't seem to access this video. I would really appreciate it, plus it will get more coverage on the tube.

KBCraig

imported post

Mike, here are the regulations from my four-state area. None prohibit any otherwise-legal firearm, except for full auto, caliber restrictions, restrictions on shot size or bullet weight, or magazine capacity. A semi-auto shotgun is legal for all game.

Texas: any legal firearm can be used for any game. Exceptions: no rimfire of any caliber for deer, sheep, or antelope; no silencers or machineguns; shotguns only for Spring Eastern Turkey season (no rifles or handguns); shotgun magazines must be plugged to 3 round capacity when hunting migratory game birds and lesser prairie chickens.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/hunt/means/

Arkansas:

All modern guns may be used for deer hunting during modern gun season with the following exceptions. You may not use:
• buckshot in a .410 shotgun.
• shot smaller than No. 4 buckshot in any shotgun.
• rimfire cartridges, military or full metal jacketed ammunition.
• any centerfire rifle, pistol or revolver smaller than .22 caliber.
• handguns with barrels shorter than 4 inches.

http://www.agfc.com/!userfiles/pdfs/guidebooks/08-09Sections/08-09%20Guidebook_pg22-30hunting_regs.pdf

Oklahoma:

Legal Means of Taking
Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal). Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven (7) rounds of ammunition.
Muzzleloaders: Equipment described as legal for deer muzzleloader season and blackpowder firearms loaded from the breech are legal.
Shotguns: 20 gauge or larger, firing a single rifled slug are legal.
Centerfire handguns: Chambered for .24 caliber or larger and 100 grain or heavier soft-
nosed bullet having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer are legal (.357 or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.
Semi-automatic handguns: Chambered for any centerfire ammunition with a 100-grain or
heavier soft-nosed bullet and having a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger (includes 10 mm, .357 Sig., and 40 cal. or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.
Handguns chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition: Chambered for any centerfire
rifle ammunition using at least a 55-grain soft-nosed bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.
Illegal devices: Fully automatic firearms, silencers, laser sights and light enhancement
devices (night scopes) are illegal.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/2008huntregs.pdf

Louisiana:

It is illegal to hunt or shoot deer with firearms smaller than .22 caliber center-fire or a shotgun loaded with anything other than buckshot or rifled slug. Handguns may be used for hunting.

RESTRICTIONS:No person shall take migratory game birds:
• with a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel guns, shotgun larger than 10-gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, fishhook, poison, drug, explosive or stupefying substance.
• with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler which is incapable of removal without dissembling the gun.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/pdfs/hunting/2008-2009_HRDH.pdf

AtackDuck

imported post

Mike.

It might be easier to list the states that do not allow semi-auto shotgun hunting. IMO it will be none except Hawaii.

Might perhaps kick this question up the ladder to the general discussion threads?

AtackDuck

imported post

I tried listening to the 1st 10 minutes of this meeting and I lost it. The members of this council do not know what the US Constitution is, or what theBill Of Rights is/ They have no concept of what the United States ofAmerica is. They do not deserve to be a part of this society. They are a disgrace to everything this country stands for and should be banished.

AtackDuck

imported post

It is rare indeed, to hear any politicians as ignorant of this country and its form of government, as this bunch of fools. Banishment is too good for them, they might turn some poor fool to their way of thinking and get their entire country blown to hell.

KBCraig

imported post

Once I finally got the video to load, I couldn't find anything about guns. I was unwilling to hunt around through the idiotic comments about "our statehood" just to find Mike's comments. I trust that he acquitted himself well, so I don't need to hear it for myself.

My sympathies for those who suffered through the rest.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Once I finally got the video to load, I couldn't find anything about guns. I was unwilling to hunt around through the idiotic comments about "our statehood" just to find Mike's comments.
Start time for my testimony: 3:16:40 - just move the little button till that time and let it play.

KBCraig

imported post

Mike wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
Once I finally got the video to load, I couldn't find anything about guns. I was unwilling to hunt around through the idiotic comments about "our statehood" just to find Mike's comments.
Start time for my testimony: 3:16:40 - just move the little button till that time and let it play.
Yes, I saw that in your OP, but since I use a Mac, I rely on a plugin to let Quicktime play Win media. There is no time stamp when I move the slider.

And like I said, I already trust that you did a good job; I didn't need, nor want, to hear the continuous crap-spew that constituted everything else on the video.

If someone cropped out the relevant portions and posted it to youtube, I'd sure watch it there.

grishnav

imported post

Wow. I'm actually liking some of what they have to say. Yes, guys, you *SHOULD* stop paying your taxes. We all should. You *SHOULD* secede. We all should.

Can you imagine if Washington DC seceded from the Union? Holy crap, that would be a heaping load of awesome. It would open up the possibility to any state that's even considered it in passing, and before you know it, the union would be gone. A great first step. (Washington DC, incidentally, would likely be quickly overrun by criminals and disappear entirely.)

And before long, crazy federal gun laws would be a thing of the past, which would give us a LOT of choice on where to move to ensure the best gun rights.

And the states could easily form a new union, if they so desired.

My only fear would be that Washington would join Canada. Ugh.

But yeah... I'm actually liking this. What I see is a bunch of guys who just wanting their independence. Who are we to deny it of them? Let them become a state with a say in congress. What could the harm be?

wrightme

imported post

You may need to compile it state-by-state. Maybe someone in each state (State Researcher for instance) could provide this for you.

Nevada Hunting Regs

Part of this refers to 503.150 which does not disallow any specific shotgun action type, except for any firearm that is "capable of firing more than one round with one continuous pull of the trigger" or larger than 10ga.

Hunting Handbook Section 3 on page 4 (18)....

Shotgun (only legal for deer and mountain lion): 10, 12, 16, or 20 gauge. Shotgun barrels may be smooth or rifled for either species. For Deer: Only rifled slugs or shotgun rounds with sabots that contain a single expanding projectile may be used for deer.
Page 6 (20) lists no restriction to Pump Actions

Page 12 (26) provides shotgun magazine capacities

8. Unplugged Shotgun (Waterfowl and Dove Hunters) Waterfowl and dove hunters may not use shotguns capable of holding more than three shells. Shotguns must be plugged and rendered incapable of holding more than three shells. Shotguns must also be plugged in all wildlife management areas regardless of species. This is a misdemeanor offense.

On a related note, I had the opportunity to listen to, and speak to Sen Ensign on the 15th. He is a solid 2nd Amendment Senator, and his assessment of the current legislative session is that the ruling party KNOWS that further firearm regulation would be a VERY unpopular choice, and is not supported by numbers at this time.

suntzu

imported post

Ok, so the Communistic Republic of D.C wants a vote in the Congress, wants the rights of the states but at the same time wants to DENY the right of the people who live there to possess and carry arms?

I say keep D.C out, they don't deserve state hood or any vote or representation in Congress as long as they are unwilling to deny the rights of the states to its' citizens who unfortunately live in that horrible place.

jgregel

imported post

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?tabid=20829

Legal in Ohio as long as it only holds a max of 3 shells

White-tailed Deer
Shotgun – 10 gauge or smaller using one ball or one rifled slug per barrel (rifled shotgun barrels are permitted when using shotgun slug ammunition) – the shotgun cannot be capable of holding more than3 shells,unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler which limits the capacity of the gun to 3 shells.The filler must be such that it cannot be removed without disassembling the gun.

Wild Turkey
Shotgun - including muzzleloading shotguns, using shot

Mourning Dove
Shotgun 10 gauge or smaller; cannot hold more than 3 shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler which limits the capacity of the gun to 3 shells.The filler must be such that it cannot be removed without disassembling the gun.May be taken with lead shot.

Waterfowl/Migratory Game Birds
Shotgun 10 gauge or smaller; cannot hold more than 3 shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler which limits the capacity of the gun to 3 shells.The filler must be such that it cannot be removed without disassembling the gun.Only nontoxic shot may be used to take waterfowl, rails, snipe, and gallinules.

John

dmward78

imported post

I just sent this to Councilman Kwame Brown

I hope he understands

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Councilman Brown,

Let me first state that I do not live in DC, but in Virginia. I do work in DC and appreciate everything the District is doing to make the city better. I spend more time in DC than Virginia truth be told. I just can't afford to live here. I also am in full support of DC Statehood. I think that DC residents should enjoy all of the freedoms and abilities that the US Constitution affords me. I think that you would agree with that statement.

I also have to say that I am a strong supporter of a persons ability to defend themsleves and their loved ones against violent attacks.

I just finished watching the Statehood committee meeting from April 7th 2009. The meeting in which you and Mike Stollenwerk from opencarry.org discussed the issue of gun rights in the district.

I am unsettled by a statement that you made.

This is in response to the opinion of Sen. John Ensign from Nevada and the fact that his home county requires a 72 hour waiting period.

"...in the District of Columbia at one of the most stressful times of this nation, where everyday we trun on the television and people are committing all types of crimes and killings, that the residents of the District of Columbia should have no waiting period, they should be able to get a gun right away."

The fact that would made this statement and are opposed to the citizens of the District of Columbia having no waiting period leads to one of two conclusions;

1) You don'tthink that thecitizens of DC have a right to protect themselves or their family's. The most pressingreason to have no waiting period and be able to defend yourself immediately is because... "everyday we turn on the television and people are committing all types of crimes and killings"

or

2) You believe that the citizens of the District of Columbia are the people who you see...."committing all types of crimes and killings"

I truly hope that you believe that the citizens of the District of Columbia should have the basic god given right to defend their own and their loved ones life from a violent attack.

I would urge you to reconsider your stance on gun control and carrying for self defense.

You should look to cities that do not have restricting gun laws and see that they have much lower violent crimes rates than DC. It is truly a poverty that our nations capitol should bear the title of "Murder Capital of the Country"

It is a shame that diplomats from other countries and all of the visitors to this wonderful place should fear for their lives since only the criminals (people who disregard laws) will have guns and the law abiding citizens (those whose hand guns are registered) will have no way to protect themselves.

It is a simple logical fact that a criminal uses a gun because he wants as little resistance from a victim as possible. It is also a basic fact that a criminal will be less likely to attack someone that is armed and willing to defend themselves, as there are easier targets that wont be armed.

Again I known that would would defend you loved ones by any means necessary, please don't deny the Citizens the same rights.