• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Live Veto Session

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
peter nap wrote:
or have a friend buy one for him
So Saslaw is encouraging military members from out of state to engage in straw purchases?
yep, he said "I know It's Illegal but everybody does it"

HB2528 just failed

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
peter nap wrote:
or have a friend buy one for him
So Saslaw is encouraging military members from out of state to engage in straw purchases?
yep, he said "I know It's Illegal but everybody does it"

HB2528 just failed
We need that recording!!!

That should play very well come next election.

Don't lookback, Senator. Just paddle faster.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I could have recorded the stream if I thought it would've been useful. I recorded the session when a bill of interest came up earlier, but forgot to start it up today.

IanB

imported post

I don't want the stream, the video quality was garbage. I want the raw, uncompressed video.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah well, I imagine you're likely planning to use itfor more than reviewing it to see who said what for personal notes. In that case, I agree, the raw video would be much preferred.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

You don't have to get the entire tape. I posted at 8:03 and he spoke shortly before that.

fairfax1

imported post

[font="Arial Narrow,Arial MT Condensed Light,sans-serif"]
[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"] What was shaping up to be a good day for gun owners turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment thanks to the State Senate. Governor Kaine was able to pick up enough votes to sustain vetoes on three of the five bills he vetoed. When the houses of origin had finished their work - only one veto had been sustained - SB 1035 - repeal of the restaurant ban. But when the House Bills moved to the Senate, what was shaping up to be a big win for gun owners turned out to be less than what was expected at the beginning of the day.

Vetoes overridden:

SB877 would allow "retired" law enforcement officers to carry concealed in a restaurant that serves food and alcohol. Unlike SB1035, this bill applies only to retired law enforcement officers and does not prohibit them from consuming alcohol.

SB1528 states that the safety course required for obtaining a concealed handgun permit, conducted by a state-certified or NRA-certified firearms instructor can be done electronically or online.

Vetoes sustained:

HB1851 would exempt active duty military personnel or Virginia National Guardsmen from Virginia's handgun rationing ("one-handgun-a-month") law. The House overrode the veto but the Senate fell short one vote - 26-14. This was probably the biggest surprise of the day as this passed the Senate 31-18.

HB2528 would establish that no locality or entity may participate in a compensated gun confiscation ("buyback") program, where individuals are given anything of value or money in exchange for surrendering a firearm to the locality, unless the governing body first passes an ordinance authorizing the gun "buyback." The House overrode the veto but the Senate fellthree votes short at 24-16.

SB1035 would permit a Right-to-Carry permit holder to carry concealed in a restaurant like Applebees, Olive Garden or any other restaurant that serves food and alcohol, provided he or she does not consume alcohol. The Senate vote fell short 24-16. [/font]

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
[font="Arial Narrow,Arial MT Condensed Light,sans-serif"]
[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"] What was shaping up to be a good day for gun owners turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment thanks to the State Senate. Governor Kaine was able to pick up enough votes to sustain vetoes on three of the five bills he vetoed. When the houses of origin had finished their work - only one veto had been sustained - SB 1035 - repeal of the restaurant ban. But when the House Bills moved to the Senate, what was shaping up to be a big win for gun owners turned out to be less than what was expected at the beginning of the day.

Vetoes overridden:

SB877 would allow "retired" law enforcement officers to carry concealed in a restaurant that serves food and alcohol. Unlike SB1035, this bill applies only to retired law enforcement officers and does not prohibit them from consuming alcohol.

SB1528 states that the safety course required for obtaining a concealed handgun permit, conducted by a state-certified or NRA-certified firearms instructor can be done electronically or online.

Vetoes sustained:

HB1851 would exempt active duty military personnel or Virginia National Guardsmen from Virginia's handgun rationing ("one-handgun-a-month") law. The House overrode the veto but the Senate fell short one vote - 26-14. This was probably the biggest surprise of the day as this passed the Senate 31-18.

HB2528 would establish that no locality or entity may participate in a compensated gun confiscation ("buyback") program, where individuals are given anything of value or money in exchange for surrendering a firearm to the locality, unless the governing body first passes an ordinance authorizing the gun "buyback." The House overrode the veto but the Senate fellthree votes short at 24-16.

SB1035 would permit a Right-to-Carry permit holder to carry concealed in a restaurant like Applebees, Olive Garden or any other restaurant that serves food and alcohol, provided he or she does not consume alcohol. The Senate vote fell short 24-16. [/font]
Thanks Fairfax. HB1851 was where Saslaw talked about getting someone else to buy it for him and Marsh rambled on about it being a loophole for gun runners.

Marsh also went on and on on my favorite subject. Privileges for CHP holders. If they want more than one gun a month, let them get a CHP.

VApatriot

imported post

Maybe I misunderstood the vote, but it was my understanding that the veto ofSB877 was sustained by Senate and will not become law.

+1 Million on Saslaw needing to go. To give another example of how out of touch he is, while debating a non-gun bill, he said something about not being ableto go to a restaurant in NoVa without spending a $100 PER PERSON. I guess he has never heard of Outback or the Olive Garden. To me, spending $20+ for a dinner out is really living it up. But what do I know? I'm just a regular guy who wouldn't able to take care of myself without the government holding my hand. Thank God we have people like Dick Saslaw to tell us all what is in the best interest of our personal safety.

Bulldog1967

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood the vote, but it was my understanding that the veto ofSB877 was sustained by Senate and will not become law.

+1 Million on Saslaw needing to go. To give another example of how out of touch he is, while debating a non-gun bill, he said something about not being ableto go to a restaurant in NoVa without spending a $100 PER PERSON. I guess he has never heard of Outback or the Olive Garden. To me, spending $20+ for a dinner out is really living it up. But what do I know? I'm just a regular guy who wouldn't able to take care of myself without the government holding my hand. Thank God we have people like Dick Saslaw to tell us all what is in the best interest of our personal safety.

I am sorry to say that Dick "Banjo" Saslaw is a NoVa anachronism who unfortunately is very deeply entrenched. I know as I waged a one man crusade to get him out last time as he is (unfortunately) my senator.

I would spend a great deal of money if we could get a viable candidate to take his seat and send him packing.

TexasNative

imported post

If I remember correctly, the veto of SB877 was sustained initially, but a Senator who voted to sustain the veto asked for reconsideration of the vote, and on the second vote the veto was overridden.

~ Boyd

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Well, we did a little better than last year! Last year, three pro-gun bills were passed into law. This year, the governor signed two pro-gun bills and two pro-gun bills that he vetoed passed after his vetoes were over-ridden, for a total of four pro-gun bills passed into law. Of course, there are other ways of looking at this, and not all pro-gun bills are equally important to most of us. Still, it is nice to see a small handful of pro-gun bills pass even after Va Tech and after the Senate became a Democratic majority. And as far as I can tell, there were no anti-gun / anti-second amendment bills passed.

VApatriot

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
If I remember correctly, the veto of SB877 was sustained initially, but a Senator who voted to sustain the veto asked for reconsideration of the vote, and on the second vote the veto was overridden.

~ Boyd
Thank you for the clarification.

TFred

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
TexasNative wrote:

~ Boyd
Thank you for the clarification.
I'm not sure that is correct. I wasn't able to listen the entire time, but I don't remember that happening the times I did watch, and the record that is shown on the LIS site does not say that happened. I'm just not sure how thorough that LIS record is, but I don't recall noticing any votes missing from that site before now. Their record of what happened shows this sequence:

03/30/09 Governor: Vetoed by Governor
04/07/09 Senate: Placed on Calendar
04/08/09 Senate: Passed in enrolled form (30-Y 10-N)
04/08/09 Senate: Motion to reconsider passed in enrolled form agreed to (40-Y 0-N)
04/08/09 Senate: Passed in enrolled form (30-Y 10-N)
04/08/09 House: Passed by temporarily
04/08/09 House: Governor's veto overridden (76-Y 22-N)
04/08/09 House: VOTE: --- OVERRIDE GOVERNOR'S VETO (76-Y 22-N)

TFred