• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Militia and Property Confiscation?

Neplusultra

imported post

Somewhere I read (I thought here) something about the VA legislature recently passing a law allowing the state to take away any lands used for militia training if that training was intended to be used against the government. I've searched and searched and can't find anything.

Anyone know the truth about this? If it is true what the code section number is?

Thanks,

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Summary as introduced:
Paramilitary activity; penalty. Makes it a Class 5 felony to provide land or other resources knowing that it will be used to conduct illegal paramilitary activities. Full text:
01/14/09 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/14/09 091519216 (impact statement)

01/14/09 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/14/09 091519216
01/14/09 Senate: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
01/15/09 Senate: Assigned Courts sub: Criminal
02/09/09 Senate: Stricken at the request of Patron in Courts of Justice (14-Y 0-N)

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Summary as introduced:
Paramilitary activity; penalty. Makes it a Class 5 felony to provide land or other resources knowing that it will be used to conduct illegal paramilitary activities. Full text:
01/14/09 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/14/09 091519216 (impact statement)

02/09/09 Senate: Stricken at the request of Patron in Courts of Justice (14-Y 0-N)
The patron of this bill was Cuccinelli? I thought he was all progun. By "stricken" that means the bill was removed from consideration by Cuccinelli himself and is now dead?

Thanks, Peter. I for some reason remembered there was a confiscation clause in the bill. Do you remember anything like that? I was wondering why they/he/whomever felt the need to add this to the statute at this time. I mean we haven't been having problems with illegal militias in VA have we?

Virginiaplanter

imported post

The Governor was behind it. But it was to of no affect.

By his Excellency the Right Hon. JOHN Earl of DUNMORE, his Majesty's Lieutenant and Governor General of the Colony and Dominion of Virginia, and Vice Admiral of the same:

A Proclamation.

VIRGINIA, to wit,

WHEREAS I have been informed, from undoubted Authority, that a certain Patrick Henry, of the County of Hanover, and a Number of deluded Followers, have taken up Arms, chosen their Officers, and styling themselves an Independent Company, have marched out of their County, encamped, and put themselves in a Posture of War; and have written and dispatched Letters to divers Parts of the Country, exciting the People to join in these outrageous and rebellious Practices, to the great Terrour of all his Majesty's faithful Subjects, and in open Defiance of Law and Government; and have committed other Acts of Violence, particularly in extorting from his Majesty's Receiver General the Sum of £.330, under Pretence of replacing the Powder I thought proper to order from the Magazine; whence it undeniably appears, that there is no longer the least Security for the Life or Property of any Man: WHEREFORE I have thought proper, with the Advice of his Majesty's Council, and in his Majesty's Name, to issue this my Proclamation, strictly charging all Persons, upon their Allegiance, not to aid, abet, or give Countenance to, the said Patrick Henry, or any other Persons concerned in such unwarrantable Combinations; but, on the Contrary, to oppose them and their Designs by every Means; which Designs must, otherwise, inevitably involve the whole Country in the most direful Calamity, as they will call for the Vengeance of offended Majesty and the insulted Laws, to be exerted here, to vindicate the constitutional Authority of Government.

GIVEN under my Hand, and the Seal of the Colony, at Williamsburg, this 6th Day of May, 1775, and in the 15th Year of his Majesty's Reign.

DUNMORE.

GOD SAVE THE KING.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Summary as introduced:

The patron of this bill was Cuccinelli? I thought he was all progun. By "stricken" that means the bill was removed from consideration by Cuccinelli himself and is now dead?

Thanks, Peter. I for some reason remembered there was a confiscation clause in the bill. Do you remember anything like that? I was wondering why they/he/whomever felt the need to add this to the statute at this time. I mean we haven't been having problems with illegal militias in VA have we?

He's good...but needs improvment!:lol:

KBCraig

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Somewhere I read (I thought here) something about the VA legislature recently passing a law allowing the state to take away any lands used for militia training if that training was intended to be used against the government.
Isn't that how the feds got Arlington?

There is some irony there, given Virginia's history in the rebellion against the government of King George III.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
The Governor was behind it. But it was to of no affect.

SNIP By his Excellency the Right Hon. JOHN Earl of DUNMORE, his Majesty's Lieutenant and Governor General of the Colony and Dominion of Virginia, and Vice Admiral of the same:...

Great post!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Somewhere I read (I thought here) something about the VA legislature recently passing a law allowing the state to take away any lands used for militia training if that training was intended to be used against the government.
Isn't that how the feds got Arlington?

There is some irony there, given Virginia's history in the rebellion against the government of King George III.
Of course, a Texan would notice that. :)