• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This makes me proud! American Crew Regains Control of Hijacked Ship

Alexcabbie

imported post

Well what did I tell yall? Right after the idiotic propaganda presentation "If I Only Had A Gun" (see appropriate thread) ABC did a piece where they credited the Captain of the ship for bravely saving the crew BY SURRENDERING TO THE BAD GUYS!!

I scarce know how to characterize all this, but let me try......THIS IS AS IF SOMEBODY DECIDED TO LET TOKYO ROSE PERFORM IN THE USO DURING WORLD WAR TWO. I an just aghast.

What the hell??? WHAT THE FREAKING HELL????

Our OWN PRESIDENT sets the example by BOWING TO A FORIEGN TYRANT.

Ronald Reagan (the President, not his dipstick son) said: "If you want peace, you can have it and have it in the next second. All you have to do is surrender"

Well, how "Reaganesque" of ABC and the Boy Wonder. I am really and truly speechless in the face of such jejune idiocy. God save us.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am totally for the idea to arm and train our sailors. I also love the idea of posting a few marines or reservists on those ships as well. A five-man team of marines, properly equipped would do an excellent job imho. Backed by an armed and trained (even light training can be a real asset) crew would make those ships very well defended.

Armed

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
"It would be inappropriate for them to try to be heros" Reinhart is a typical corporate wimp. "did not expect them to battle pirates." These are American seamen... SAILORS by God! They WILL fight the ship with whatever means.

Yep - that hits the nail on the head. Pardon my french - but quite frankly, we've become an emmasculated nation of pussies. Nice to see a news story that demonstrates somebody still has a backbone and willing to fight back.

After this became a news story - it came out that Marsk has insurance to pay for this stuff. Well, geez... let's go ahead and reward these scumbags for their behavior. No wonder why pirating has become popular again. Because moron's like this are willing to pay.

I'm proud of the crew and and feel for the captain and his family, but Marsk can go to hell for creating their own damn problem. They need guns on board!There is no way a freighter should get taken by a F'n rowboat with an outboard and a handful of men with shoulder fired weapons. Simply unbelievable....

Also - when the captain jumped overboard from the liferaft and attempted to escape.... They were surrounded by the United States Navy. In my world, we would call that OPPORTUNITY! There is no friggin way those pirates should be alive right now!

What is happening to us, as a nation?

Legba

imported post

Are these insurance companies really convinced that it's preferable and cheaper to pay ransoms of millions of dollars on a regular basisthan it is to risk some theoretical liability by arming a few crew members with rifles? As I understand maritime law, you can have guns on ships, but you just have to submit to extra inspections at each port you stop in. Seems a smaller price to pay, but what do I know?

-ljp

Deanimator

imported post

Legba wrote:
Are these insurance companies really convinced that it's preferable and cheaper to pay ransoms of millions of dollars on a regular basisthan it is to risk some theoretical liability by arming a few crew members with rifles? As I understand maritime law, you can have guns on ships, but you just have to submit to extra inspections at each port you stop in. Seems a smaller price to pay, but what do I know?

-ljp
The "solution" to this problem is for some enterprising lawyer to start taking cases by the crews and their families on a contingency basis, suing the shipping companies for failure to provide a safe working environment.

They'll start providing protection for the crews or allowing them to protect themselves when it gets more expensive not to than to pay the ransoms and forget the crewmen who don't come back.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Armed wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
"It would be inappropriate for them to try to be heros" Reinhart is a typical corporate wimp. "did not expect them to battle pirates." These are American seamen... SAILORS by God! They WILL fight the ship with whatever means.

Yep - that hits the nail on the head. Pardon my french - but quite frankly, we've become an emmasculated nation of pussies. Nice to see a news story that demonstrates somebody still has a backbone and willing to fight back.

After this became a news story - it came out that Marsk has insurance to pay for this stuff. Well, geez... let's go ahead and reward these scumbags for their behavior. No wonder why pirating has become popular again. Because moron's like this are willing to pay.

I'm proud of the crew and and feel for the captain and his family, but Marsk can go to hell for creating their own damn problem. They need guns on board!There is no way a freighter should get taken by a F'n rowboat with an outboard and a handful of men with shoulder fired weapons. Simply unbelievable....

Also - when the captain jumped overboard from the liferaft and attempted to escape.... They were surrounded by the United States Navy. In my world, we would call that OPPORTUNITY! There is no friggin way those pirates should be alive right now!

What is happening to us, as a nation?

The inaction of the Navy on-scene has to be because they were ordered to stand down and take no further hostile action. That had to come from on high in the chain of command. You can bet yer socks that this 'inaction' can be traced all the way to the present CinC.... Obooba. He's hidin' under his desk 'closely monitoring' the situation... The white house press wonk said so. There's some really pissed off sailors somewhere aboard Bainbridge about now... 'cause there's no doubt some GMG3 or so mannin' a machine gun with the ships searchlights on that lifeboat got the 'hold fire' order thu his headset. Bainbridge would have been at modified GQ since they showed up. They ain't out there snoozin'.

CNN... actually discussed if the crew of Maresk Alabama had somehow violated the pirates civil rights when they re-took their ship. What... what thought process... what education... what the hell would even prompt such an utterance? What have we become? This is madness. Now... the New York office of the FBI is considering filing US charges agains the pirates. What? That one had me rollin' on the floor. I'll just bet that shivered the timbers of them ol' pirates.... "Ooooohhh... We better be good... The FBI is gonna 'charge us'." Bwahahaha. There was a time... when the Captain of any interested warship (any nation) could sink and sieze pirates on the high seas... and try the survivors under his nations Admiraty Laws aboard ship... Then hang them. What happened to that? Piracy is an act of war. Art 8 USC covers that. The lunatics are runnin' the asylum... they dunno what to do... so they do nothing. This is what we have now for a Commander in Chief... an empty suit takin' a poll on how he can manage this 'n still 'look' good. A shipping Co CEO (Reinhardt) tellin' the world that when boarded the crew is supposed to go hide in the P-coat locker... rather than fight.Whatever happened to 'Don't Give Up The Ship!"?

The problem lies with the metrocentric Gucci clad bean counter and corporate lawyer mentalities who are not sailors... and need to grow a pair. This attitude is sickening.

Tomahawk

imported post

And how, exactly, does a sailor on one pitching vessel fire a machine gun accurately at people on another pitching boat, when the target boat has a roof and a friendly inside, shielding the occupants from view? And when you hear splashing around in the dark and there are two men in the water a hundred yards away, how do you determine if one of them is your friendly?

I want to see the Navy dust these clowns, too, but I'd like to avoid seeing the Navy explain why they had to kill Capt. Phillips because they had a h**don to shoot somebody.

I also intensely dislike our chief executive, but it remains to be seen how badly he will screw this up. My guess is he will start by NOT supporting the arming of merchant sailors.

Alexcabbie

imported post

About an hour ago Chris Matthews was introducing the Sunday show by saying that Obama had "such a powerful political hand" and wondering how he would play it. Yet here he is holding the Ace and King of Spades, the board showing 10 Jack and Queen of spades and the pirates holding 7-duece offsuit.

I mean, you don't have to machine-gun the boat. There is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat and the SEALs have a couple hundred. But the outcome here will reflect on Obama, so he is being careful to the point that the hostage's suffering is prolonged. The pirates seem (from reports) trying to drift to land. When they do I guess Obama will try to find some "moderate pirates" with whom to negotiate.

Meanwhile last night, with a wet scared American hero being held on the high seas by four or five international criminals (and surrounded by the Navy whose people await his instruction) Obama had a pizza party.

Talk about fiddling while Rome burns............:banghead:

PT111

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
And how, exactly, does a sailor on one pitching vessel fire a machine gun accurately at people on another pitching boat, when the target boat has a roof and a friendly inside, shielding the occupants from view? And when you hear splashing around in the dark and there are two men in the water a hundred yards away, how do you determine if one of them is your friendly?
I'll bet there are at least two dozen on this board that claim they can do it with a hand gun or at very least an AR-15. :celebrate

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

I want to see the Navy dust these clowns, too, but I'd like to avoid seeing the Navy explain why they had to kill Capt. Phillips because they had a h**don to shoot somebody.

I also intensely dislike our chief executive, but it remains to be seen how badly he will screw this up. My guess is he will start by NOT supporting the arming of merchant sailors.

You've never been to sea have you? Ya think that lifeboat is just sittin' out there in the dark? Ships searchlightswill beon that boat all the time. The ship is at modifed General Quarters (Battle stations). Point defense stations are manned... with additional rifleman and machine guns (pintle mounted heavy's and light MG's w/bipods) at vantage points with spotters. The shooters will wear sound powered headphones. Ships don't 'pitch' much in calm waters... and right now there's calm waters. No doubt there are boats in the water with swimmers and shooters at all times opposite of the Bainbridge with the lifeboat in the middle. One officer... a cox'n and at least four armed enlisteds. Possibly SEALs are now aboard as well. They will also be under observation by the ships helos... a pair of SH-60R's. That lifeboat will be lit up like the Las Vegas strip. One will be airborne near constantly. Everybody's in communication with the bridgeand each other. Many pairs of eyeballs have been on that boat constantly since the Bainbridge arrived. All they require is the order to do it. Meanwhile, Obama's hidin' under his desk.

Just now on FOX,1040 AMMT... Captain Phillips is now FREE. Three of the fourpirates have been killed.

Game Over!

buster81

imported post

It looks like Nobama made the right call here and let the navy seals do their job. I doubt he will support the arming of merchant marines. The UN needs to do something as well, but we all know how impotent they are!

I anxiously await the pentagon briefing at 4:00.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
The problem lies with the metrocentric Gucci clad bean counter and corporate lawyer mentalities who are not sailors... and need to grow a pair.
I agree with you about everything except the metro part. Where the hell does that even come from? It's like an article of faith with you, that "metrosexuality" (whatever that is) is singlehandedly destroying our country.

Not that I like the sort of person more concerned with liability than with his employees right to self-defense. But this is a common problem and it's caused by plenty of people who are not "metro". I've never even met a "metro" person (suppose I've seen one or two). And I live in San Francisco.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

It wouldn't necessarily take SEAL's. 'Soon as Phillips cleared the boat... no tellin' how many machine guns and rifles from various platformscould open up as soon as the 'Commence Firing' order was given. A couple of .50 cal MG's (MA-2's)'n 7.62 M-60's plus whatever else would turn that lifeboat into splinters within' seconds. This would be at night under searchlights.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
The problem lies with the metrocentric Gucci clad bean counter and corporate lawyer mentalities who are not sailors... and need to grow a pair.
I agree with you about everything except the metro part. Where the hell does that even come from? It's like an article of faith with you, that "metrosexuality" (whatever that is) is singlehandedly destroying our country.

Not that I like the sort of person more concerned with liability than with his employees right to self-defense. But this is a common problem and it's caused by plenty of people who are not "metro". I've never even met a "metro" person (suppose I've seen one or two). And I live in San Francisco.
Metrocentric not metrosexual. 'Cityboys... girlymen... the two fingered handshake types... Wimps.