Thread: What is the LEGAL definition of a "school zone"

Post imported post

I ask because when I drive by schools, I always see the sign posted at the END of the "school zone" but no sign posted at the bigining or percieved legal entrance into it. I think I should call the VSP and ask, not sure.

What the hek is the legal defining requirements of a "school zone", not property, but zone.

Post imported post

The best thingI can find is this, and it seems to nullify the federal law or atleast make it unenforcable.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sKj...um=7#PPA348,M1

Post imported post

Although I have no citation to back me up, I've always considered these "School Zones" posted on the roads around a school to be a vehicle traffic issue and nothing to do with guns.

Not that your question isn't valid, but I think there are two different kinds of school zones, and the type you're asking about doesn't have any signs.

Edited to clarify my point.

Post imported post

If the question is in regard to the so-called federal Gun Free School Zone (GFSZ) law, if you have a concealed handgun permit issued in Virginia, you are completely exempt from the federal law as it applies to Virginia schools. That would be the law that prohibits gun possession within 1000 feet (almost 0.2 miles) of a school. I'm not so sure about a Virginia permit exempting you from the federal GFSZ law as it applies to other states. I seem to recall that this is a gray area that invites a test case (I'm not volunteering).

Virginia STATE law, however, generally prohibits gun possession on school property. There is no exclusionary zone around school property in state law as there is in the federal law. If you have a concealed handgun permit, you may carry a loaded, concealed gun onto school property as long as you remain in your vehicle. This allows parents to drop off and pick up their kids without having to disarm or pick them up off school property (as I did with my kids).

I am not a lawyer and you should look this up yourself or consult an attorney familiar with Virginia gun laws.

Post imported post

Never mind,I found the definition of schoolzone under the federal ruling of 1996, guess I should have looked harder.

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    Never mind,I found the definition of schoolzone under the federal ruling of 1996, guess I should have looked harder.
    Please post the link here. I read not too long ago that even bus stops were considered school property.

Post imported post

Pagan wrote: Thanks. Here it is specifically but it only speaks of school zone rather than school property. Maybe there is no distinction.

18 USC § 921 Definitions
    (a) As used in this chapter—
    (25) The term “school zone” means—
    (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or
    private school; or
    (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of
    a public, parochial or private school.
    (26) The term “school” means a school which provides
    elementary or secondary education, as determined
    under State law.

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    Remember, people. ALWAYS post links when you make a comment like the above.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post