• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC getting in and out of the car.

JOESEEB

imported post

I have OC'ed a few times recently in which I never got in to a car as I'm not clear on the rules. i know that you can not carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle so this means unloading when you getin and reloading when you get out. As I carry with a round in the chamber this means dropping the mag, upholstering and ejecting the round. meaning that you must DRAW the firearm, but wont that make people nervous? cops get called? how do you go about this with out people freaking out? can you sit in the car and unload out of sight or is that considered carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle?

my dad told me once that if you dont have one in the chamber you might as well not carry. as it is a danger to you and those around you. this requires you to jack a round in before you can fire so its pointless for defencive purposes.

my second question is where do you put the firearm while your driving? keep it in the holster (unloaded), in the seat next to you? in the trunk(then you have to open trunk and remove it every time you get in and out of the car)(this also make you have to load and unload in visible sight to anyone around you)?

I want to carry but I dint want the cops to get called cus im Brandishing a weapon. I have lived in wash. for 4 years but only recently got asidearm so im not clear on the rules. in Oregon you must put the weapon in aclosed containerand so it is not readily available, but what about wash.

I have read Washington state law but as far as i can tell it just says no loaded firearms in cars without a CPL. It is my assumption (i know all about assumptions thats why i ask) that as long as it is not loaded ( the mag out and chamber empty) that it can still be on your hip in its holster. is this assumption wrong or just not wise?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Ganghater

imported post

This is exactly why I have a CPL, no worries. Read the RCW carefully - you need to "put the RCW's together" to come to a complete and accurate answer. Study the RCWs and ensure you always know your rights.

PolskiG

imported post

Ganghater wrote:
This is exactly why I have a CPL, no worries. Read the RCW carefully - you need to "put the RCW's together" to come to a complete and accurate answer. Study the RCWs and ensure you always know your rights.
+1

sudden valley gunner

imported post

This is the main reason why I got my cpl too. Although I am against buying a license to partake in a constitutional right But what I have done is wear a serpa type holster where I can eject and remove the magazine discreetly behind my car door, you can also rack the gun too. People don't realize what you are doing.

Don't let not having a cpl stop you in exercising your rights just arm yourself discreetly I have not had a problem the last 4 months that I have carried.

Also if need be carrying one in the chamber with one rack of the slide away is better than not carrying at all. It might not be ideal but it still is better than nothing.

Mainsail

imported post

I would be VERY careful about bullet set-back if you're chambering and unchambering the same round over and over- especially if it's a .40 cal.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I would be VERY careful about bullet set-back if you're chambering and unchambering the same round over and over- especially if it's a .40 cal.
Ok I am probably gonna sound like a newb here but can you explain bullet set back?

Mainsail

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
Ok I am probably gonna sound like a newb here but can you explain bullet set back?

When the slide slams forward while chambering the round it can push the bullet farther into the case. After a while, the bullet can even be noticeable shorter than the rest of them. The danger is that when the bullet is set deeper, the pressure can rise to dangerous levels. Then, when you fire the gun (in either a defensive situation or just at the range) the gun can explode. This is even more critical in a high pressure round like the .40 cal.

just_a_car

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
When a round gets fed from the mag, the bullet strikes the feed ramp on the way into the chamber. Doing this once or twice isn't a big deal, but doing it a bunch of times can push the bullet back into the chamber, reducing the effective volume of the case and dramatically increasing the pressure of the round when it's fired.

I've found one of the easiest ways to get around this is the lock the slide open, secure the pistol in the holster (Serpa is great for this), place the bullet in the chamber, release the slide or pull it back to release it, then insert a loaded magazine. I do this with my Glock when I load or unload for any reason; that way, the trigger is covered while chambering the round.

Mainsail

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
When a round gets fed from the mag, the bullet strikes the feed ramp on the way into the chamber. Doing this once or twice isn't a big deal, but doing it a bunch of times can push the bullet back into the chamber, reducing the effective volume of the case and dramatically increasing the pressure of the round when it's fired.

I've found one of the easiest ways to get around this is the lock the slide open, secure the pistol in the holster (Serpa is great for this), place the bullet in the chamber, release the slide or pull it back to release it, then insert a loaded magazine. I do this with my Glock when I load or unload for any reason; that way, the trigger is covered while chambering the round.
I've heard that's hard on the extractor.

Nosrac

imported post

I was thinking the same thing...it's a bit of a surprise when the extractor breaks off.

To the OP, I usually have a towell, a coat or a sports bag on the passenger seat and I would just use that for cover while loading or unloading.

just_a_car

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Can't be any harder on it than just chambering a round. Plus, I'd rather have an extractor break and replace it than to have a kB! and have my hand break... much harder to find spare parts for that; I don't think I can even get those at Numrich's. :p

Mainsail

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
Can't be any harder on it than just chambering a round. Plus, I'd rather have an extractor break and replace it than to have a kB! and have my hand break... much harder to find spare parts for that; I don't think I can even get those at Numrich's. :p

Well, much harder actually. In an auto-pistol the rim of the case slides up under the extractor when the round is chambered normally. When you drop the slide over the chambered round, it forces the extractor over the rim of the case.

JOESEEB

imported post

Mainsail wrote:

I do use the same round but i never let the slide slam forward on it as i place the round in the chamber then gently let the slide down on it. so i dont think this is a problem. then once the round is in insert the mag. the sound of the slide slamming forward scares my wife so igently close the slide. plusitsalmost completely quiet this way. the maggoing in is louder ten the slide closing.im using a da .45 ruger p90 which is designed to use high pressure rounds.

I do intend to get my CHP in-fact was suppose to apply this week but due to money probs could not afford to. i appreciate all the helpful info that all of you have provided. thank you all very much i think i will try the towel idea for concealing loading and unloading from sight.

any one on go anything on location of firearm while driving or riding as a passenger? other then putting it in the trunk ina box? can it be on my side unloaded or does it have to be off of my person?

JOESEEB

imported post

carhark wrote:
Be careful about concealing a gun with a towel if you do not have a license to do so.
I meant blocking view form one side not really concealing it just making it less obvious. i would be very careful.

Tawnos

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Here's the way the codes work together for vehicle carry without a CPL:
RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.
You have to comply with the above at all times, whether your gun is loaded or unloaded. If you have your unloaded firearm in a holster, on your side, in the vehicle, it probably is not going to be readily visible from the outside and considered concealed. The way to meet this law is to not have the firearm on your person in your vehicle. You may conceal the gun in your vehicle, so long as it is not on your person (IE: readily accessible), or you may have your gun in the vehicle in the open, such as on the seat next to you, in plain sight.
I disagree with this part - It says "concealed on your person" not "unable to be seen while near you." By the interpretation presented, if you're leaning on a wall that makes it so a person can't see your gun, it's now concealed on your person. If a person walks weak side of you, it's concealed on your person. Clearly, neither of those cases actually constitute "concealed on your person."

This is why the law differentiates for vehicles, specifying no loaded pistols are allowed in vehicles without CPL. Without that separate piece of statute, one could OC a loaded all the time without a CPL, as the pistol is not concealed on your person, merely concealed by circumstances of your location.