• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there a magazine capacity limit for CC?

Jason Rogers

imported post

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. (emphasis added)

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The prohibition on mag cap is limited to the places listed in blue bold bold.Note that the firearm cannont be equiped with the mag. One could carry a spare mag with as many rounds as one likes. This law section does not have an exemption for self defence and Mr. fisher got convicted because he had a 10mm pistol and the prosecutor convinced the jurry this represented malace aforethought.-Jay

Marco

imported post

Jason Rogers wrote:
Mr. fisher got convicted because he had a 10mm pistol and the prosecutor convinced the jurry this represented malace aforethought.-Jay
:question:
What does Harold Fish (NOT Fisher)have to do with the OP's question?
The G23 is 40SW.

[line]

Fish was convicted because his attorney was an IDIOT
(IMHO).:(

Monday morning QB,Fish might havemade a few mistakesjust prior toand after the shooting.
Warning shots, talking freely with the police before speaking with his attorney.

Maricopa County, the County Fish was convicted in authorizes LE to carry 10mm, iirc.
Fisher had EVIL Black Talon ammunition, one of the least powerful 10mm loadings.

The Jury fell for the Prosecutors tricks.:banghead:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Jason Rogers wrote:
Mr. fisher got convicted because he had a 10mm pistol and the prosecutor convinced the jurry this represented malace aforethought.-Jay
:question:
What does Harold Fisher have to do with the OP's question?
The G23 is 40SW.

[line]

Fisher was convicted because his attorney was an IDIOT
(IMHO).:(

Monday morning QB,Fisher might havemade a few mistakesjust prior toand after the shooting.
Warning shots, talking freely with the police before speaking with his attorney.

Maricopa County, the County Fisher was convicted in authorizes LE to carry 10mm, iirc.
Fisher had EVIL Black Talon ammunition, one of the least powerful 10mm loadings.

The Jury fell for the Prosecutors tricks.:banghead:

+1
It amazes me how many lawyers really give NO service. It seems to be a common practice with some lawyers, to meet their clients for the first time, at the courthouse lobby before court. I'm sure that for a serious offense such as this there was other contact...however, it doesn't look like any of the BS was challenged.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Hendu024 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Just got a 29 rounder for my Glock 23 and thought about sporting it in my Galco shoulder rig. :D
ok, I'll bite. Why on earth would you carry a 29 round mag in a G23?
Well....just because!:p

Virginiaplanter

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Hendu024 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Just got a 29 rounder for my Glock 23 and thought about sporting it in my Galco shoulder rig. :D

Why do you need handicap parking at Costco? If you are so disabled that you need handicap parking, how are you going to pick up those 50lbs bags of rice?:shock:

ChinChin

imported post

Jason Rogers wrote:

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. (emphasis added)

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Hrm. Wouldn't the section you bolded in blue be in direct violation of: Virginia Code § 15.2-915 ?

And if so; wouldn't the locality be liable for lawyer & court costs in a suit brought against them under the new 15.2-915 subsection C which was just passed this year which reads:

C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court shall award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging an ordinance, resolution, motion, or administrative action as being in conflict with this section.

hrmm

Jason Rogers

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Jason Rogers wrote:

Hrm. Wouldn't the section you bolded in blue be in direct violation of: Virginia Code § 15.2-915 ?

And if so; wouldn't the locality be liable for lawyer & court costs in a suit brought against them under the new 15.2-915 subsection C which was just passed this year which reads:

C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court shall award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging an ordinance, resolution, motion, or administrative action as being in conflict with this section.

hrmm
§ 18.2-287.4. is actualy a Virginia State law not a locality or subdivision of the state.

Neplusultra

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Hendu024 wrote:
Area suppressive fire :^). Or maybe because 29 is a nice number? More is better? It sounds cool? Don't have to carry an extra mag?

My question is how big is a 29 round mag? How far does it stick out of the end of the grip?

Hendu024

imported post

Scherer(sp?) has come out with the hi-cap mags for Glocks, and the one for the 23 is 29 rounds. I dont know why they didn't just put 30. It sticks out about 5-6 inches out of the bottom of the grip. I got it mostly just for fun:D but I figured, if i can carry it, why not, right? It balances amazingly well, too. Fewer reloads at the range... I also got the best magloader I've come across yet, by a company called UpLula, makes reloading a lot easier, and it loads everything from .32 to .45

Hendu024

imported post

I can't do either with anything on the belt of course. I can OC or CC in a shoulder holster. Shoulder holsters work, magazine is vertical along the ribcage. Works great, I'm 6'5" so I have a lot of length to work with. But like I said, it's mostly just for fun... Don't have to worry about carrying extra mags either

Chuckles

imported post

Your minds are so poisoned by the Clinton/Brady/Obama anti-gun crowd that you are all having trouble with the concept of magazine capacity. So let's refresh:
anything 20 rounds or more = STANDARD Capacity;
anything less than 20 rounds = REDUCED Capacity.

So Hendu is merely carrying a standard (or normal) magazine around. Leave him alone!

Neplusultra

imported post

Chuckles wrote:
Your minds are so poisoned by the Clinton/Brady/Obama anti-gun crowd that you are all having trouble with the concept of magazine capacity. So let's refresh:
anything 20 rounds or more = STANDARD Capacity;
anything less than 20 rounds = REDUCED Capacity.

So Hendu is merely carrying a standard (or normal) magazine around. Leave him alone!
I am very glad to know that I am so standard! Makes me feel all right now. Have you ever noticed that a standard 100 round mag is much, much less expensive than a standard 150 round mag? :^)

Of course I agree with you, just pokin' fun.....

ballester

imported post

once and only once..did i carry my g17 with 3 factory 33 rd mags....plus a rnd chambered....i just wanted to know if i could conceal all of that..and yes i could....i got a big frame so it worked ok for me....help me if i had to pull the trigger once for anyting...i couldnt imagine what the DA would plan for me...:shock:but then again....maybe the right answer would work...zombies..nuff said....