• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

first oc story

bedfordnky

imported post

Well I have been open carrying for about a month now. First an amt 45 backup. then my Tauras 40 caliber, and a 9mm highpoint. Well i carry pretty everywhere within reason and have never had anything but the normal "are you a cop", or "why do you have a gun".

Well about half hour ago I walked into Thorton's in Florence KY on industrial road for a can of chew. This gas station is less then 1/4 mile from my town home so I'm in there at least once sometimes 3 times a day. The ladies are always polite and usually joke with me about chewing oraskhow the kids are. I was wearing the usual blue jeans, work boots, Fobus holster, 9mm, scent-lock hoodie, and john deere hat.I'm only including these details so you get the whole scenario. I also was driving the kid mobile 99 grand voyager.

Hears how it went closed captioning brought to you by My Constitutional Rights.

Clerk- Can I help you?

Me- Yes I need a can of Grizzly wintergreen long cut.

I already have money in hand as always.

Clerk- Next time you come in here leave that in the car.

Me- Leave what in the car?

Clerk- You cant carry a gun in here.

Me- I'm sorry I did not see any postings on the doors, I have never had a problem before.

Clerk- You cant just carry a gun into gas stations.

Me- Well if it isn't posted for me to know how would I know?

Clerk- Do you have a permit?

Me- No I do not need one as it is not concealed and it is my right to bear arms, and open carry without a permit.

Clerk- Ill just talk to the sheriff next time they are in here.

Me- Okay have a nice day.

This is the first time I have ever been hassled. Did I handle the situation correctly? If not please let me know what I did or didn't do. I almost feel that I should have said my rights don't need justification. I always try to be polite when asked and let people know how KY laws allow open carry. I honestly am really angry how she reacted. Any input and or suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

bedfordnky wrote:
Well I have been open carrying for about a month now. First an amt 45 backup. then my Tauras 40 caliber, and a 9mm highpoint. Well i carry pretty everywhere within reason and have never had anything but the normal "are you a cop", or "why do you have a gun".

Well about half hour ago I walked into Thorton's in Florence KY on industrial road for a can of chew. This gas station is less then 1/4 mile from my town home so I'm in there at least once sometimes 3 times a day. The ladies are always polite and usually joke with me about chewing oraskhow the kids are. I was wearing the usual blue jeans, work boots, Fobus holster, 9mm, scent-lock hoodie, and john deere hat.I'm only including these details so you get the whole scenario. I also was driving the kid mobile 99 grand voyager.

Hears how it went closed captioning brought to you by My Constitutional Rights.

Clerk- Can I help you?

Me- Yes I need a can of Grizzly wintergreen long cut.

I already have money in hand as always.

Me- I'm sorry I did not see any postings on the doors, I have never had a problem before.

Clerk- You cant just carry a gun into gas stations.

Me- Well if it isn't posted for me to know how would I know?

Clerk- Do you have a permit?

Me- No I do not need one as it is not concealed and it is my right to bear arms, and open carry without a permit.

Clerk- Ill just talk to the sheriff next time they are in here.

Me- Okay have a nice day.

This is the first time I have ever been hassled. Did I handle the situation correctly? If not please let me know what I did or didn't do. I almost feel that I should have said my rights don't need justification. I always try to be polite when asked and let people know how KY laws allow open carry. I honestly am really angry how she reacted. Any input and or suggestions are appreciated.
next time don't bring up posting - this talk just encourages folks to post - try to ignore the employee's weird comments unless ordered to leave, then leave - set your stuff on counter or floor and leave - and if its private property, they can have whatever policy they want on guns, so no use getting mad - I trust you did refuse to buy anything there, right? if not, you just validated that employee's behavior.

MgoBlue

imported post

Since this place is right near your home, and you visit it often . . . why not head in tomorrow to speak to the store manager. Get clarification on their policy . . . and, if as I suspect, there is no anti-gun policy, suggest to the manager to educate his/her clerks. Since it is a Thornton's, give Matt Thornton a call and tell him what happened. He sets the policies for the entire company. He can be reached at: (502) 339-8385.

Reg

bedfordnky

imported post

I'm going to do that in the morning around ten. I emailed corporate office, and am awaiting a response. Im more upset how the lady talked to me the tone she used when sayin "you cant just carry guns into gas stations." Noone has ever taken that tone with me when open carrying. It was almost as if she were trying to prove her authority to me. Maybe my firearm intimidated her, and put her on the defense.

hotrod

imported post

Don't worry about the Sheriffs Dept. They know the law. If you have a problem with the Sheriffs Dept. call 859-334-2175 ask for Sheriff Mike Helmig or Chief Deputy Les Hill. They will take care of any Deputy acting outside the scope of there employment

GWbiker

imported post

next time don't bring up posting - this talk just encourages folks to post - try to ignore the employee's weird comments unless ordered to leave, then leave - set your stuff on counter or floor and leave - and if its private property, they can have whatever policy they want on guns, so no use getting mad - I trust you did refuse to buy anything there, right? if not, you just validated that employee's behavior.

+1.

Brian D.

imported post

It would have been sorely tempting for me to ask the clerk just how closehe/she was to finishing up classes, passing the bar exam, and becoming a full-on lawyer, or something along those sarcastic lines.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

bedfordnky wrote:

Ask him this: "Is this the official corporate policy of Thornton's? Since I'll be calling them tomorrow to verify this, I'll be sure to tell them that you, Name, told me that you don't want my business unless I leave my gun in an unsafe place."

bedfordnky

imported post

Well I decided to write to corporate office, explained exactly what happened just as I did here and recieved this breif response.

We have a company policy that firearms are not allowed in the stores unless it is law enforcement, if you want further details contact David Bridges at 1-800-928-8022 ext 243 for additional details.

I Plan to respond to this person as well as Matt Thorton. I did reply to the email and told them that until I can exercise my rights in their business I will no longer be a customer. I also told them that I have a rather large family in the tristate area and that they would no longer be doing any business with thortons. I explained that I do not believe it was safe leaving my firearm in the vehicle, and that I feel safer carrying and that many local business' feel confortable and safer with me and many others open carrying.

Now my next step should I let Matt thorton know that I am a part of a group of individuals like me who feel the same way about their policy that I do? I just dont want to put any other individuals into this situation. Thanks all for your help and support.

hotrod

imported post

bedfordnky wrote:
Well I decided to write to corporate office, explained exactly what happened just as I did here and recieved this breif response.

We have a company policy that firearms are not allowed in the stores unless it is law enforcement, if you want further details contact David Bridges at 1-800-928-8022 ext 243 for additional details.

I Plan to respond to this person as well as Matt Thorton. I did reply to the email and told them that until I can exercise my rights in their business I will no longer be a customer. I also told them that I have a rather large family in the tristate area and that they would no longer be doing any business with thortons. I explained that I do not believe it was safe leaving my firearm in the vehicle, and that I feel safer carrying and that many local business' feel confortable and safer with me and many others open carrying.

Now my next step should I let Matt thorton know that I am a part of a group of individuals like me who feel the same way about their policy that I do? I just dont want to put any other individuals into this situation. Thanks all for your help and support.
Absolutely, let them know that their is a group that supports you and has your back. They may know about OpenCarry.org. That would be even better

Lew

imported post

I would just ignore it until someone tried to kick you out, then take it to their manager from there. She can make snide remarks all day unless she has and uses authority to tell you to leave.

Walkeraviator

Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
imported post

The only problem with "well i wont utilize your business unless i can carry" is that business owners just flat dont care. They know that you are 1 of a million customers that they make money off of and us not shopping there means no profit losses.

We need to act as a group in complete boycott and make it known or we get nothing done. Maybe this forum can start a Forum Category solely for listing businesses that we as a cohesive group can boycott...??

Another thought is to organize ourselves as a legally recognized religion. Then if they kick us out we could claim discrimination, just as a muslim or african american does when refused business....

kungfu01

imported post

Hey guys,

I just signed up to say I am up for boycotting Thortons. I am tired of sitting back while everybody tramples on my Christian beliefs and my God given right to self defense. It is time we started boycotting and marching etc like all the other groups.

Keep us posted on what you find out.