• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help my choose a gun.

gamestalker

imported post

Actually this load is from the hodgdon data. It is producing about 39,00 cup well below max allowable cup. It is in fact ahigh velocityload and will let you know you've just pulled the trigger. But so far as harming the weapon I've experienced no problems and I've been loading like this for over 25 years. I lap my barrels on all my firearms and I think that helpsextend barrel life. All of the loads I shoot are compressed because I only use slow burning powders as they will give you max performance in every aspect and are entirely safe due to the consistent burn they produce at ignition. A good number of competitive shooters will actually just scoop their cartridges with slow burning powders so to get the consistency of a compressed load in not just the burn aspect but the result of the slow burn rate which will deliver a high velocity projectile with optimum accuracy and a clean burn. The faster burning powders are some what more susceptible to accidental double charge due to the fact that a double charge will easily fit into a case unnoticed. the slow powder charge will usuallyconsume 80% or more of the case making a double charge nearly impossible to miss. And once again even if you filled the case with these powders the resultwould most likely be insignificant. Their funnnn ta shoot too!

Gamestalker

Don Barnett

imported post

Yeah! I guess you DO know that you squeezed off a shot. I bet that at the range, everyone comes down to see what kind of high powered rifle you are shooting. I'm just kidding you... have fun.