Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 84

Thread: Kicked out of Cabela's

  1. #1
    Regular Member Taurus850CIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,071

    Post imported post

    OC'd at Cabela's today with Tygereye. We called ahead to see if they had the Lee Hand Press in stock. They did, a kit for 35 bucks, so we made the trip down. When we arrived, I waited for her to load and holster before we went inside. I didn't take my coat off until we were between the two sets of entrance doors. Once we were in, we were both plainly openly carrying. When I called, the guy I spoke to (Jesse) told me he would put the press behind the counter at the customer service desk, so we went there.
    While we waited for the one person in line in front of us, quite a few people and several employees walked by without incident. When we arrived at the counter, we found out that Jesse had not given him the press, so we asked how to get to the hunting counter. We walked through half the store to another counter, where an older guy (who plainly noticed I was carrying) helped us find Jesse. He had just taken off somewhere, so another fella helped us out.
    I got the press, and started asking questions. He was very friendly, and obviously in a good mood. We all wandered over to the reloading section, where he helped try to locate what I was looking for. He also noticed I was carrying. We finished up, I thanked him for his help, and Tygereye and I went to the gun counter to look at one of my objects of gun lust, a Ruger Vaquero in .45 long colt.
    While we were standing there, one of the guys behind the counter said to Tygereye, "Ma'am, you're gonna have to cover that up". She didn't say much, so I told him "she can't cover it up". He just looked at me, muttered something under his breath like "open", then walked away. Once we got help at the counter, I looked at a really nice little bird's head grip SAA .45 with a 4 inch barrel. I loved it. Then the guy looked at me and asked "do you have a cpl?".
    I said "yes, I do".
    He said "you're making a lot of people around here nervous".
    I asked "has someone complained?".
    He replied "no, I can see eyes".
    I didn't know what to say to that, and as it turns out, I didn't have to reply anyway. Right then, 4 or 5 employees all walked out of the back room, and the guy (1) helping me stood up straight. A couple others came up behind us. We were literally surrounded. Guy 1 said "you know, when you get your cpl, you have to keep it covered."
    I said "Actually, that's not true." They were all suddenly quiet, a sort of shocked quiet." A lot of instructors teach that but..."
    He interrupted me and said somewhat loudly " I'm telling you, you need to cover that up or leave!"
    Guy 2 pipes up at least as loudly "It's corporate policy to not allow open carry in our stores!".
    Me : " I'm under the impression that corporate policy is to follow state law"
    Guy 2: "No, it's not!"
    So, here we are, with merchandise laying on the counter, and browsing revolvers, surrounded by mildly hostile employees. They are clearly not interested in making any sales. Tygereye said "fine, we'll take our business elsewhere". I looked at the guy in front of me, pushed the stuff across the counter to him, turned and asked Tygereye for my coat, and we walked out, heads high. I never once raised my voice, I was calm and non-confrontational. It should be noted that prior to going to the gun counter, everyone was very helpful, and there were no issues. No scene was made until the gun salesmen decided to make one. I'll be composing a letter to corporate shortly, then I'll act on the information I receive. Until then, I won't be back.

    edit for awful spelling
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

    Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

    Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

    The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

    With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE Lower, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    WOW, I OC every time I go there. Never had any problems. I guess they are on the Do Not Shop List till this gets resolved!!

  3. #3
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    That is simply not right. Cabelas is overly OC friendly. They even mention OCing in a holster ad as I remember. In other states, they put a trigger lock on your gun if you're going to be trying out their holsters, but leave you be if it's going to stay in your holster. As far as I've heard, this is the policy nation wide, so long as state law allows it.

    I think we can rest assured that their corporate office will take corrective measures. I am honestly surprised this happened.

    I haven't had the chance to OC in the Michigan Cabelas yet, but I will be next time I go. I would be happy to show up with you for a follow up trip to make sure everything has been settled if you want to make an event of it. Any excuse to go to Cabelas is always nice.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    Hmmm, maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me but I wonder if the fact that they teach CPL classes there has anything to do with it?


    Conceal Carry Permit Class
    The first half of a concealed carry permit class will be held at the store. The class will continue on Saturday from 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. at the Dundee Sportsman's Club. Cost is $125.00. To register please call: 734-529-5410 and ask for Royce Florence. [/b]
    Friday, 5:00-9:00 p.m.; Saturday 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
    Location: Lake Cabela


    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887

    Post imported post

    I think you should have asked for a manager, who hopefully would have been better informed, but that's just me...

  6. #6
    Regular Member tygereye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    Michigander wrote:
    I would be happy to show up with you for a follow up trip to make sure everything has been settled if you want to make an event of it. Any excuse to go to Cabelas is always nice.
    Once we get the appropriate paperwork, and all that, we are DEFINATELY going back!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    576

    Post imported post

    Might i suggest that you call Cabelas store and ask to speak with a store manager, and tell him,her what has happened, and if it wrong for them to ask you to cover or leave, that the employees are told to obey the law or look for a new job....Simply for the fact that it costs the store money everytime a guest walks out !!!!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,416

    Post imported post

    BB62 wrote:
    I think you should have asked for a manager, who hopefully would have been better informed, but that's just me...
    +1

    I worked in retail some time ago. While it's possible that the department manager was aware of how you were treated, it possible that the employees just acted on their own.

    You should mention (in your letter) the aggressive action the employees took in surrounding you. By doing so, they escalated a shopping trip into more than it should have been.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,416

    Post imported post

    Dbl tap.


  10. #10
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/15653.html

    Thank you for the recent email. I am very sorry for the confusion that took place at our retail location.
    Our corporate office has taken action in regards to the below mentioned issue and here is what has been decided.
    We have made the decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.

    If you are still having problems please feel free to let us know

    Thanks again

    Becky
    Lead Associate
    Cabela's Retail Information
    1-800-905-2731
    retail.contactgroup<AT>cabelas.com
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  11. #11
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/15653.html

    Thank you for the recent email. I am very sorry for the confusion that took place at our retail location.
    Our corporate office has taken action in regards to the below mentioned issue and here is what has been decided.
    We have made the decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.

    If you are still having problems please feel free to let us know

    Thanks again

    Becky
    Lead Associate
    Cabela's Retail Information
    1-800-905-2731
    retail.contactgroup<AT>cabelas.com
    WIN!

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    I contacted the manager asking for him to find corporate policy for me. I made no mention of the MiOC organization. He's going to follow up with me after he's contacted corporate about the issue.

  13. #13
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    I would guess this is a case of employee controlitis a very nasty disease that seems to afflict lower level employees who would like to have more power.. They think they can push people around and get real angry when we push back .. even when we do it with a silk pillow and a smile. I am sure this is what happened as I have open carried there several times and had 0 problems.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    autosurgeon wrote:
    I would guess this is a case of employee controlitis a very nasty disease that seems to afflict lower level employees who would like to have more power.. They think they can push people around and get real angry when we push back .. even when we do it with a silk pillow and a smile. I am sure this is what happened as I have open carried there several times and had 0 problems.
    The manager of Cabela's didn't seem to think that Cabela's corporate poicy was to follow what is allowed by state law. He'll soon find out.

  15. #15
    Regular Member tygereye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    autosurgeon wrote:
    I would guess this is a case of employee controlitis a very nasty disease that seems to afflict lower level employees who would like to have more power.. They think they can push people around and get real angry when we push back .. even when we do it with a silk pillow and a smile. I am sure this is what happened as I have open carried there several times and had 0 problems.
    The manager of Cabela's didn't seem to think that Cabela's corporate poicy was to follow what is allowed by state law. He'll soon find out.
    Although we didn't ask, we are both quite certain that he is one of the employees that surrounded us. Quite possibly with this info, he may have been the one that so adamently stated that it wasn't the policy to allow open carry...

    being surrounded definately was not a feeling I appreciated...

  16. #16
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Post imported post

    Added letter to OC policy thread. Check for a few other letters, etc.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    Sounds like it would have been a good time to turn on the old digital recorder. It can be used for more than just LEO encounters.springerdave.

  18. #18
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    Now don't take this wrong... but does anyone find it amusing how people try to push around the guy with the gun?? I just find it kinda funny.... And if it was the manager I think he just took in to much territory.. The really dumb part is pushing around a lady with a gun......
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  19. #19
    Regular Member tygereye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    autosurgeon wrote:
    The really dumb part is pushing around a lady with a gun......
    +1 LOL

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    tygereye wrote:
    autosurgeon wrote:
    The really dumb part is pushing around a lady with a gun......
    +1 LOL
    +eleventybillion!!! LOL especially women in our family!! heheee jk

    I agree though, being surrounded would NOT be a very comfortable situation at all. Especially when you know you're not in the wrong...
    "I'm gonna show him what little girls are made of - gunpowder and lead." Miranda Lambert

  21. #21
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    autosurgeon wrote:
    Now don't take this wrong... but does anyone find it amusing how people try to push around the guy with the gun?? I just find it kinda funny.... And if it was the manager I think he just took in to much territory.. The really dumb part is pushing around a lady with a gun......
    Speaking of people trying to push around people with guns...

    I was out shooting with some friends on some property my family owns (and by 'some friends' I mean there were 9 of us who'd met there in 5 different vehicles). We had 3 or 4 pistols for the IDPA targets we'd set up, 2 shotguns for the clays, and an AR-15 for long range fun with cans of water. The people nearby are very familiar with hearing guns all the time since it's a pro-gun, rural area. We'd shot there many times before with no problem (since we own the property). A little while into shooting a van rolls up from behind. Nobody else was supposed to meet us, so I figured it was time to play damage control. As we stop shooting to see who it is, a REALLY pissed off guy gets out and starts walking aggressively towards us yelling "WHO IN THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!?!" I held up my hand to silence him as I put down the pistol I was loading and walked towards him. I told him who I was and who my dad was, and once he realized that I was family (he's my dad's cousin) he apologized and left. One comment after he'd left was, "Not the best way to approach a bunch of people with guns!" He came back later to apologize I offered to let him shoot some skeet with us, but he just wanted to see the AR-15. He shot it and we chatted for a while as we cleaned up to leave. Nice guy.

    Just thought I'd share.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    EM87 wrote:
    autosurgeon wrote:
    Now don't take this wrong... but does anyone find it amusing how people try to push around the guy with the gun?? I just find it kinda funny.... And if it was the manager I think he just took in to much territory.. The really dumb part is pushing around a lady with a gun......
    Speaking of people trying to push around people with guns...

    I was out shooting with some friends on some property my family owns (and by 'some friends' I mean there were 9 of us who'd met there in 5 different vehicles). We had 3 or 4 pistols for the IDPA targets we'd set up, 2 shotguns for the clays, and an AR-15 for long range fun with cans of water. The people nearby are very familiar with hearing guns all the time since it's a pro-gun, rural area. We'd shot there many times before with no problem (since we own the property). A little while into shooting a van rolls up from behind. Nobody else was supposed to meet us, so I figured it was time to play damage control. As we stop shooting to see who it is, a REALLY pissed off guy gets out and starts walking aggressively towards us yelling "WHO IN THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!?!" I held up my hand to silence him as I put down the pistol I was loading and walked towards him. I told him who I was and who my dad was, and once he realized that I was family (he's my dad's cousin) he apologized and left. One comment after he'd left was, "Not the best way to approach a bunch of people with guns!" He came back later to apologize I offered to let him shoot some skeet with us, but he just wanted to see the AR-15. He shot it and we chatted for a while as we cleaned up to leave. Nice guy.

    Just thought I'd share.
    lol.. You have to wonder what people are thinking.

    If I were truly concerned with someone with a gun, I wouldn't think of CONFRONTING them. I'd be calling 911 and becoming a good witness, hand on the pistol grip.

  23. #23
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887

    Post imported post

    autosurgeon wrote:
    ...The really dumb part is pushing around a lady with a gun......
    A womanOCing?? :shock:

    She must be compensating for something... :quirky

  24. #24
    Regular Member tygereye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    BB62 wrote:
    autosurgeon wrote:
    ...The really dumb part is pushing around a lady with a gun......
    A womanOCing?? :shock:

    She must be compensating for something... :quirky
    perhaps they hadn't ever seen a woman OC, and therefore... :what: They definately noticed mine, long before taurus's. Perhaps the thought of a female, (often referred to as a "weaker" sex, which I find very offensive) carrying was more than they could handle...in which case... any other females out there, that open carry... maybe we should get together and go... really shock them!!!

  25. #25
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    I think most likely they were feeling weak and that their man card was being revoked because a woman was carrying a gun and they were not.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •