• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Cabela's

EM87

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Now don't take this wrong... but does anyone find it amusing how people try to push around the guy with the gun?? :lol: I just find it kinda funny.... And if it was the manager I think he just took in to much territory.. The really dumb part is pushing around a lady with a gun......:lol:

Speaking of people trying to push around people with guns...

I was out shooting with some friends on some property my family owns (and by 'some friends' I mean there were 9 of us who'd met there in 5 different vehicles). We had 3 or 4 pistols for the IDPA targets we'd set up, 2 shotguns for the clays, and an AR-15 for long range fun with cans of water. The people nearby are very familiar with hearing guns all the time since it's a pro-gun, rural area. We'd shot there many times before with no problem (since we own the property). A little while into shooting a van rolls up from behind. Nobody else was supposed to meet us, so I figured it was time to play damage control. As we stop shooting to see who it is, a REALLY pissed off guy gets out and starts walking aggressively towards us yelling "WHO IN THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!?!" I held up my hand to silence him as I put down the pistol I was loading and walked towards him. I told him who I was and who my dad was, and once he realized that I was family (he's my dad's cousin) he apologized and left. One comment after he'd left was, "Not the best way to approach a bunch of people with guns!" He came back later to apologize I offered to let him shoot some skeet with us, but he just wanted to see the AR-15. He shot it and we chatted for a while as we cleaned up to leave. Nice guy.

Just thought I'd share.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

EM87 wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Now don't take this wrong... but does anyone find it amusing how people try to push around the guy with the gun?? :lol: I just find it kinda funny.... And if it was the manager I think he just took in to much territory.. The really dumb part is pushing around a lady with a gun......:lol:

Speaking of people trying to push around people with guns...

I was out shooting with some friends on some property my family owns (and by 'some friends' I mean there were 9 of us who'd met there in 5 different vehicles). We had 3 or 4 pistols for the IDPA targets we'd set up, 2 shotguns for the clays, and an AR-15 for long range fun with cans of water. The people nearby are very familiar with hearing guns all the time since it's a pro-gun, rural area. We'd shot there many times before with no problem (since we own the property). A little while into shooting a van rolls up from behind. Nobody else was supposed to meet us, so I figured it was time to play damage control. As we stop shooting to see who it is, a REALLY pissed off guy gets out and starts walking aggressively towards us yelling "WHO IN THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!?!" I held up my hand to silence him as I put down the pistol I was loading and walked towards him. I told him who I was and who my dad was, and once he realized that I was family (he's my dad's cousin) he apologized and left. One comment after he'd left was, "Not the best way to approach a bunch of people with guns!" He came back later to apologize I offered to let him shoot some skeet with us, but he just wanted to see the AR-15. He shot it and we chatted for a while as we cleaned up to leave. Nice guy.

Just thought I'd share.

lol.. You have to wonder what people are thinking.

If I were truly concerned with someone with a gun, I wouldn't think of CONFRONTING them. I'd be calling 911 and becoming a good witness, hand on the pistol grip.

tygereye

imported post

BB62 wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
...The really dumb part is pushing around a lady with a gun......:lol:
A womanOCing?? :shock:

She must be compensating for something... :quirky
perhaps they hadn't ever seen a woman OC, and therefore... :what: They definately noticed mine, long before taurus's. Perhaps the thought of a female, (often referred to as a "weaker" sex, which I find very offensive) carrying was more than they could handle...in which case... any other females out there, that open carry... maybe we should get together and go... really shock them!!!

Michigander

imported post

It can be funny, the expressions that guys have on their faces when they see young and non uniformed women carrying.

I saw that in AZ a few times. On one occasion, I saw a rather attractive young blond lady walk into a QT gas station wearing a 1911, and a couple guys looked downright intimidated. It was fricken priceless. I want to see similar encounters play out here. :D

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Michigander wrote:
It can be funny, the expressions that guys have on their faces when they see young and non uniformed women carrying.

I saw that in AZ a few times. On one occasion, I saw a rather attractive young blond lady walk into a QT gas station wearing a 1911, and a couple guys looked downright intimidated. It was fricken priceless. I want to see similar encounters play out here. :D
Did you get her number?

DanM

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Becky
Lead Associate
Cabela's Retail Information
1-800-905-2731
retail.contactgroup<AT>cabelas.com

I called that 800 number to confirm the info and express my opinion about the incident (there is power in numbers, if they hear from a number of us). Was directed to speak to David Draper or Joe Arterburn in their Corporate Communications Departmentat 308-254-5504. Mr. Draper was pleasant and said that he did not know off-handtheir policy on carry, but that the subject did come up today, and he or Mr. Arterburn would call back about it.

I told him the subject might be coming up because of the incident at their store in Michigan yesterday. I expressed my opinion that Cabela's should do as most of their competitor's do and allow in their stores whatever is lawful in the state. Further, I told him I would be happy to spend money at Cabela's if such is their policy, but I wouldn't if their policy barred lawful open or concealed carry.

Our conversation was pleasant, and he seems like a sincere and polite guy. I'll let you know what I hear back. I encourage you to voice your opinion to them as well.

peanutpublications

imported post

tygereye wrote:
BB62 wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
...The really dumb part is pushing around a lady with a gun......:lol:
A womanOCing?? :shock:

She must be compensating for something... :quirky
perhaps they hadn't ever seen a woman OC, and therefore... :what: They definately noticed mine, long before taurus's. Perhaps the thought of a female, (often referred to as a "weaker" sex, which I find very offensive) carrying was more than they could handle...in which case... any other females out there, that open carry... maybe we should get together and go... really shock them!!!
I'll definitely oc with you somewhere once I finally get mine!

Taurus850CIA

imported post

It was an interesting situation to say the least. I don't think that maneuver they pulled to surround us would have happened without the knowledge of the manager. This is why I saw no point in sticking around long. I sent an email, and I will post when I get the response. Hopefully it gets resolved in a positive manner.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Tygereye OC'd her holster at Bass Pro today, and was asked to cover it up... She really must intimidate the guys. :D She looked at me and said "two times in two days". This guy was curious as to why she said that, so we all talked for a while. This time, it was a productive conversation. He seemed to be genuinely interested. He asked me quite a few questions concerning the lines on the back of the business cards (thanks Zig). He was really curious, tho he seems set on keeping his covered (which is his choice). I told him I've learned a lot more about CC here than I ever learned in my CPL class, and that he should check it out.
The past two days have been polar opposites, as far as OC experiences go.

tygereye

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
The really dumb part is pushing around a lady with a gun.....
especially when she shoots like this:
I was going to post that!!! LOL... the other target looked very similar by the time I was done with it... first 100 rounds that I have put through my pistol... I must say, I was VERY happy with the results... :celebrate:celebrate

Michigander

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Tygereye OC'd her holster at Bass Pro today, and was asked to cover it up...
I am really disgusted by the way they currently treat people who carry there. It may be an insurance thing, I'm not sure. But I'm thinking I'm going to go in there and ask to speak to the manager next time I'm nearby. I'd like to have them say they are for sure not going to allow OCing, or that it's okay. It would be nice to have them as either a place for us to go to, or a place not to go to.

tygereye

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
Tygereye OC'd her holster at Bass Pro today, and was asked to cover it up...
I am really disgusted by the way they currently treat people who carry there. It may be an insurance thing, I'm not sure. But I'm thinking I'm going to go in there and ask to speak to the manager next time I'm nearby. I'd like to have them say they are for sure not going to allow OCing, or that it's okay. It would be nice to have them as either a place for us to go to, or a place not to go to.
All he said was that you couldn't tell if there was anything in it or not, and that it might make some of the patrons nervous

Michigander

imported post

tygereye wrote:
All he said was that you couldn't tell if there was anything in it or not, and that it might make some of the patrons nervous

We need some new info packets for guys like this. Probably something along these lines.

emo.jpg