• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Republican, Democrat or Other?

Klown

imported post

Great video, I wish all the kool-aid drinking morons would learn the consequences.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Hmmpf, an "awesome video" with such a fundamental error as a 2-dimensional political model? Where does libertarianism fit, or conservatism? Is there no path from conservatism to libertarianism but through the left?
As a "small L" libertarian, I think the model was fairly accurate.

Libertarianism is the point where the government has no power beyond what is needed to protect the rights of the individual. In the video, I think they set this mark way to far up the scale... but they described it correctly.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Libertarianism is originally "leftist". The Classical Liberal Bastiat sat on the left in the Estates-General.

However, rather than using this to align myself with the left, I use this as an example for why I believe self-alignment with duocratic partisanship to be fundamentally misguided, demonstrative of narrow understanding, and generally counter-productive as it is ultimately a tool used to manipulate those who would rather have their thinking done for them.

Why must I fall on some arbitrary "spectrum"? The philosophy behind classical liberalism and modern libertarianism is far more ancient than our present concept of a one-dimensional political spectrum from "left" to "right"..

I disagree equally with neoconservatives and neoliberals, although not with perfect overlap.

The two-dimensional model isn't much better, in my opinion. Although I suppose at least I actually could be classified on it.

poothrowingape

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Hmmpf, an "awesome video" with such a fundamental error as a 2-dimensional political model? Where does libertarianism fit, or conservatism? Is there no path from conservatism to libertarianism but through the left?

actually thats a 1 demensional model in the video. it only goes left or right which is a common way of thinkingin our country if you arent red, your blue; ifyou arent blue your red with splinter in between.

the link http://www.theadvocates.org/quizp/index.html
shown by oilfieldtrash is a 2d model because its on a graph with more choices going up, down, left or right.

not that i agree with either. when will we learn that labeling people never leads to good. politics is a parasite that has infiltrated our government. the political parties are what control our country when it has always supposed to have been the people.

where does it say in the constitution that the poltical parties shall choose the candidates for the people to choose from? sincethey're putting their own people forward it seems to me that this counrty is more of a republic infiltrated by olligarchies. We get the illusion of chosingour leader whenthe political parties put forward who they want to rule us and we dont seem to notice while they win no matter what. We need a leader to do good for his/her people, not for the good of the party.