• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interstate Commerce to our Advantage?

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

users/718.htmlusers/718.htmlIf a gun can be declared under Federal regulation and control by merit of the commerce powers, then can the argument be made that since it is under Federal regulation then, as a Citizen of the United States I am also taking with it the Federal Governments 2nd Amendment right and that over rides any states law?

I am sure the logic is flawed, sometimes I can't think of the right argument to things.

darthmord

imported post

Not quite. The Constitution & BoR governs Federal activities. As such, anything the Federal does MUST be in compliance with the rules & restrictions governing the Federal.

So truth be told, the Federal shouldn't be able to regulate firearms insofar as the regulations relate to the 'Right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'.

They could likely get away with (legally) not allowing certain models / brands / types to be sold in the US so long as they are allowing some models to be sold. The right pertains to private ownership & carry/usage.

The problem lies in the fact the Fed has not been following the rules governing it and we the people have given it a pass on its transgressions.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sure they should be allowed, but they are. So unless we can get them to completely deregulate them I would argue that the Fed can't regulate them without bringing with it the protections against the Fed.

That means that if they can make a law that controls or restricts the firearm as say is involved in interstate commerce as they say, then it comes with it the protection of the BOR, even at the state level.

I am sure it is a flawed one, but hey, I am sure there have been dumber arguments.