Thread: Self Defense Ammo Question

Post imported post

Ok guys, I want to get a few boxes of self defense ammo and have no experience whatsoever.

I know everyone has a different opinion but I'm trying to gather a concensus. I have a H&K 45c.

I have heard good things about the Hydrashock and Corbon but if I'm understanding correctly I shouldn't shoot Corbon without a special barrel???

What do you guys think?

Post imported post

Hydrashock is old technology. I personally carry Ferderal Premium HST. It is hands down one of the best rounds for both penetration and consisten expansion. BUT good luck trying to find ANY right now.

Every single HST that I've seen opens up exactly like this:

Also see this interesting article with more good pics.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D2%26hl%3Den

Post imported post

I have never known anyone to need a "special" barrel to shoot corbon. I have shot lots of it out of factory standard guns with no problems.

That said though I prefer Remington Golden Saber, or Speer Gold Dot for my defensive ammo.

Post imported post

I use HST's in my full sized guns, and Speer Gold Dots in my short barreled guns, because speer makes a special "short barrel" version of the gold dot with different powder and a bullet that is designed to expand at lower velocities.

I also use Power R Ball in one of my guns that doesn't always like hollw points. (Power R Ball have fed correctly every time)

I got turned off from Gold Sabers becaues every review Ive ever seen of them has commented about the jacket not being built right and sepperating from the core in your target. -- Not a SUPER bad thing, and some people swear by them... but with that market being so compeditive, that's enough for me to look to other options.

Just my opinion - I COULD be wrong.

Post imported post

i run corbon 165 grain 1250 fps in my current weapon (10mm). Should penetrate just fine and not exit if what i've found online is true. they are semi stiff recoil wise. I like them.

Post imported post

Fozzy_Bear wrote:
    I got turned off from Gold Sabers becaues every review Ive ever seen of them has commented about the jacket not being built right and sepperating from the core in your target.* -- Not a SUPER bad thing, and some people swear by them... but with that market being so compeditive, that's enough for me to look to other options.

True the jacket can seperate from the core, but the same is true of any HP that is not bonded. That's why I also prefer the Speer Gold Dots as they are all bonded. I try to get the Golden Sabres in bonded when I can, but the biggest reason I choose them is that every 1911 I have owned that does not have a ramped barrel will feed the Golden Sabres the best because of their rounded profile. That and the nasty razor star pattern they have when they open up.

Post imported post

when i had my HK USPc in 45 i used hornady tap ammo....230 +p....i wanted the heaviest bullet going as fast as it can out of the short barrel...i think i was getting over 900 fps with that load...not bad for a 3.8 barrel...as for the gold dot...i personally recovered a 230gn round from a floor support....the person shot it through 3/4in floorboard and then into about 4in of the floor support beam...the bullet opened partially and had over 98% of its weight left....

as for the tap...i fired one at a target outside after it had rained and the ground was muddy...i followed the groove in the ground and managed to dig the bullet up and it opened nicely...i still have that bullet in a small ziplok bag i was impressed with its expansion.

IMHO

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

IMO - you cannot do better than HST - virtually !00% retention and feeds flawlessly in everything I own - they are pure consistency of maximum expansion.

For barrier penetration like heavy clothing and even automotive windshields and door panels, Corbon DPX is the ticket.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

im just planning on using an empty gun and pointing it at the bg and tell him to turn himself in whenever it's convenient for him.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate

Post imported post

I went with DT 200gr's in my USP 45c.
    http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...products_id=94

I find their product to be reliable andaccurate.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Thanks for all the feedback!

I guess I'll start to buy and try!

Post imported post

Corbon PowerBall or Corbon DPX

Post imported post

I prefer the Remington Golden Sabers. I've had FTF problems with some other hollow-points (getting hung up on the feed ramp), and the rounder profile of the Remington seems to work better, at least in my preferred carry guns. I don't know about the aforementioned jacket separation issue, but I doubt that's a problem even if it does happen with any regularity.

-ljp

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I have a HK45 (fullsize) and shoot/carry either Corbon DPX (185Gr.) or Winchester Ranger T (230 Gr.) Both work fine in HK's.

Post imported post

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

As dawg said GOOD LUCK FINDING SOME! This ammo shortage sucks.....I can't shoot. But back to the topic, Federal Premium HST is great for personal defense! And they come in 50 round boxes instead of the cheap 20 or 25 round boxes.

If ya find some in 40 S&W for 25$ or less let me know! LOL

Ben