• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Free disarming/unarmed self defense class

Michigander

imported post

EDIT-SEE POST 5 FOR CURRENT INFORMATION

No strings attached, just a free class offered this saturday that has room for more people. I apologize for not posting this sooner, I should have thought to.

If you can make it, I do believe it will be highly worth going. As you can see in the wild west academy website, Mark Cortis, the guy who will be teaching the class, is quite experienced with this stuff.

I think that this sort of class is hugely beneficial to open carriers, because it is quite applicable to weapon retention and control of a situation that won't quite call for deadly force.

I think it goes without saying that attire to bring will be good clothing to work out in, and stuff that you don't mind busting up a bit. Mark said he will be setting up mats, and I'm not sure, but I suspect that means we might not be wearing shoes.

It probably also goes without saying to leave your real guns in the car or at home, because we sure as hell don't need to practice with real ones. ;)

And here is Mark's contact info if you have any questions:

http://www.wildwestacademy.com/
248-506-3472

Michigander

imported post

Necro bumpity bump bump!

I wanted to let folks here know that Mark is still doing these classes. Sadly, the YWCA he did them at went out of business. The good news is that the classes are still being held, specifically at Detroit Country Day's gym. The bad news is that school policy has required mark to charge a fee. But it's a one time only fee of 25 bucks, with follow up classes being free of charge.

http://www.wildwestacademy.com/SelfDefenseClass.htm

The next class is next saturday at 2. I know that most folks who went to these in the past probably won't this time on account of the fee, but I thought I'd post it anyway, as an update.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

school policy?? which school? I OCed at one of these classes without a problem before at the Y. Mark was also my CPL instructor, Im glad I went through him. He has answered all of my questions, and hes a good guy.

Michigander

imported post

I believe this is a High School. Seeing as you don't have your license, OC is not an option. Furthermore, they'd probably kick you out for it. I have always suggested not carrying at all to these events.

As someone with 6 years of Kung Fu behind me, I can't suggest enough not carrying while practicing martial arts, or for that matter working out at a gym. It would be just about completely impossible to obey the 4 rules while getting flung around or getting in different positions to lift weights, it would make falling less safe, and it is just about completely unnecessary because no one is going to mug a room full of trained fighters or muscle bound body builders who are probably not carrying any valuables.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I completely agree, but I dont carry for need. Mark had no problem with me OCing, but youre right, cant carry in a school, so Ill have to pass. One reason I carried, is to promote Marks CPL class. I think it had a positive effect on the class as well. It may make falling less safe, but more realistic, I was thrown once landing squarely on my blackhawk, sure it hurt a little, but I learned better how to work with it, and now Im not so worried about breaking it. Tough little thing. The main reason I took the class is to learn how to retain my weapon.