• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Military stationed abroad, HOR Oregon. CHL???

jerg_064

imported post

I'm in the USAF and am stationed in GA, currently in Iraq though. Well my HOR(home of record) is still Oregon. Which means I still file(exempt) for taxes and can vote in Oregon. Also would still have a license there if not for needing to get a motorcycle license in Ga since i got a bike. I usually open carry at home, but that ain't always easy during the winter as y'all know. So i asked OFF and I thought those in my same situation might appreciate the info. Here's the email I got back:

Code:
Does the law allow for military members in my situation to obtain  
> an Oregon CHL?
>

James,

First let me thank you for becoming a part of OFF, and thanks for  
protecting our Constitution.

Oregon changed in 2008 as far as who can get a CHL in Oregon, or  
rather how you demonstrate residency.  I'll quote it for you.

> (9) For purposes of subsection (1)(c) of this section, a person is  
> a resident of a county if the person:
>       (a) Has a current Oregon driver license issued to the person  
> showing a residence address in the county;
>       (b) Is registered to vote in the county and has a memorandum  
> card issued to the person under ORS 247.181 showing a residence  
> address in the county;
>       (c) Has documentation showing that the person currently  
> leases or owns real property in the county; or
>       (d) Has documentation showing that the person filed an Oregon  
> tax return for the most recent tax year showing a residence address  
> in the county. [1989 c.839 §8 (166.291 to 166.293 enacted in lieu  
> of 166.290); 1991 c.67 §38; 1993 c.732 §2; 1993 c.735 §4; 1995 c. 
> 729 §6; 1999 c.1052 §6; 2001 c.104 §56; 2003 c.166 §1; 2005 c.22  
> §115; 2007 c.368 §2]
>

So as you can see, you qualify.  As a result of a several year long  
battle, you, as an active duty member of the military, can also renew  
a permit by mail.

Welcome aboard.

A package is in the mail to you.

Kevin Starrett
OFF

DenWin

imported post

Wash Co had no problems issuing me a CHL and I'm stationed in NY (WAY northern, a lot colder than GA). A little different for me since I don't ride, but as long as my HOR was OR, they were fine with it. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get back there :p

jerg_064

imported post

Yea, i try to get home about twice a year. I just need to file my taxes still, since I'm deployed I still have plenty of time to do it. Plus I know the deputy sheriff for Grant County, he used to be one of my church youth group leaders clear back when i was like 11 and 12 years old. So I don't think i'll have any problems.

wheelerXD

imported post

Thank you for posting that info I'm in the USMC in va and don't have my OR dl anymore either so hopefully I can get ahold of the lane county sheriffs to find out I they'll give me my permit so I can carry next time I'm back home.

Semper Fi

DenWin

imported post

Wow, a lot of you guys needing to give up licenses. What's up with that? I'm stationed up here in New York, with my billing address and HOR on my OR dl. Just wondering :p

PavePusher

imported post

Not sure of GA laws, but every state I've been stationed in accepts my Vermont D.L. with my AD ID card and a copy of orders if needed. Is GA different?

ETA: VT requires you to have your current actual residence/mailing address on the licence, hence I have a VT DL with an Arizona address on it. New Hampshire requires that on my non-residence Pistol Permit, I have the Vermont address I was using when I enlisted.... 18 1/2 years ago. My Utah permit has my AZ address. My AZ permit has.... no address. Go figure. I'm gonna go get a drink...

wheelerXD

imported post

The reason I had to give mine up was shortly I moved to Va one of our students(boot LTs) decided to you a green star cluster pop up as a direct fire weapon and well my pack got it the most and my wallet was in there. Is was great takin the melted DL to the dmv to ask if I could transfer to a va dl. This year will be the first time back home since I left hawaii to come here.

Semper Fi

jerg_064

imported post

DenWin wrote:
Wow, a lot of you guys needing to give up licenses. What's up with that? I'm stationed up here in New York, with my billing address and HOR on my OR dl. Just wondering :p

I'm not sure about other states or ppl, But like I said I had to transfer mine in order to get a Motorcylce license. But Had I not done that,and waited till I got back home and had a friend with a bike I could use for the test then I would still have my Or DL. I did not have too, In fact my f150 still has oregon plates..And it will stay that way. So, it wasn't necessary, I was impatient.

I was even told I could register my bike and new mustang in Or if I wanted to. It wasn't exactly from a reliable source(wife), but I may look into it to see if it's possible. And I may see if Or will transfer my DL back to an Or one with a motorcylce endorsement.

I hate the state of Georgia and want nothing to do with it; it's overpopluated, the weather sucks, there are no mountains, the people cannot drive, people areopenly racist,the paper mills stink likeH***, and there are too many hunting accidents.Most importanly,there are no ELK!!!I do not mean to offend any natives, but the only thing that is not a FACT and subject to opinion is the weather part.

This is from an eastern Oregon perspective though, I try not to go east of the Cascades or evenas far east as Bend unless absolutely necessary.

DenWin

imported post

jerg_064 wrote:
DenWin wrote:

I'm not sure about other states or ppl, But like I said I had to transfer mine in order to get a Motorcylce license. But Had I not done that,and waited till I got back home and had a friend with a bike I could use for the test then I would still have my Or DL. I did not have too, In fact my f150 still has oregon plates..And it will stay that way. So, it wasn't necessary, I was impatient.

I was even told I could register my bike and new mustang in Or if I wanted to. It wasn't exactly from a reliable source(wife), but I may look into it to see if it's possible. And I may see if Or will transfer my DL back to an Or one with a motorcylce endorsement.

I hate the state of Georgia and want nothing to do with it; it's overpopluated, the weather sucks, there are no mountains, the people cannot drive, people areopenly racist,the paper mills stink likeH***, and there are too many hunting accidents.Most importanly,there are no ELK!!!I do not mean to offend any natives, but the only thing that is not a FACT and subject to opinion is the weather part.

This is from an eastern Oregon perspective though, I try not to go east of the Cascades or evenas far east as Bend unless absolutely necessary.
You should try upstate New York, every time we go to the field they flip the weather machine on for boat loads of rain in spring/summer or 5 - 8 ft of snow in the fall/winter.

wheelerXD

imported post

Hell in virginia the only nice thing is the gun laws. The weather one day will be 100 then the next day will be 30. Then being close to DC sucks cause of traffic I miss the commuter traffic back home where it's about like the traffic here at midnight. I'm still hoping I can convince my wife to move back to OR when I get done with this enlistment.

Semper Fi

jerg_064

imported post

gotsig wrote:
I'm still hoping I can convince my wife to move back to OR when I get done with this enlistment.

Semper Fi
Lol, I didn't give mine much of a choice. Told her I'm going back with or without her, with some thoughtand after she finally visited Oregon;she agreed:celebrate.But I probably won't getta head back right after my DOS, I need to make some money first to start a ranch with a friend.

jerg_064

imported post

I was thinking further into how I'm actually supposed to prove my residency still. Since I don't own property and I had to change my license, I'm left with either voting or taxes. I'm not registered to vote so that's a no-go, which only leaves proof of filing a tax return in the most recent year.

Problem is the tax parts states "showing a residence address in the county." My tax return; though filed through Oregon, shows my current mailing address.

Also how do you show proof that you filed the return?? It's not like they mail you something back in the mail as a confirmation, at least not until the next tax season when you get a 1099.

I'm going to call the Grant County sheriffs department soon to get some info on this. In the mean time can someone else help out or "clarify" this for me?:banghead:

EDIT: I just started reading on registering to vote and getting an Oregon DL for AD military. It appears I will be able to do both of this with only my LES showing my HOR. So perhaps it'll be easiest to do this first, especially since I need to anyways. I really don't want this Ga DL, makesme feel like a traitor:cuss:,