• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crappy Sights

Tiny85

imported post

Ok so I recently picked up my first SD gun, Taurus M85SSUL. I love the gun the only short comings I have our the sights. I think it wouldn't be so bad if they were a little more visable.

Has anyone painted the front/rear sights on a gun? Is there anything to think about in regards to painting?

Tiny85

imported post

Good to hear. lol I was thinking about orange or red nail polish. but wasn't sure if anyone has done something like this.

markand

imported post

I've found that most things I paint onto sights will come off if I want to remove it.

Also, I think Crimson Trace makes a laser grip for your model of Taurus. I use their sights on several of my SIG's and SA XD-40. Very happy with them.

chris in va

imported post

Believe it or not, the best stuff I've used is fluorescent spraypaint. You can find it in the smaller cans. I use it to mark targets such as bowling pins or steels, and I found if you just spray a small amount into a paper cup, it can be applied using a toothpick. It's brighter than even the Testors model paint.

compmanio365

imported post

Nitesiters are OK, but they don't work as well as the paint that does the same thing. I put the Nitesiters on my Kel Tec and after a while they stopped working at all, even when using a UV light to charge them. The paint works pretty well when charged, and in the daytime, makes the sights much more visible and increases my accuracy. Just my .02.

(Not to say I think Nitesiters aren't worth it, I don't feel screwed out of my money at all, and if you are looking at something like this, it is the easiest method of getting night sights on your gun....just know you'll have to replace them in 4-6 months. Then again, I haven't had the paint on the gun long enough to know how long that will last.)

jeeper1

imported post

I've been using Testors paint for decades on sights, red on the front and white on the rear.

Tiny85

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Nitesiters are OK, but they don't work as well as the paint that does the same thing. I put the Nitesiters on my Kel Tec and after a while they stopped working at all, even when using a UV light to charge them. The paint works pretty well when charged, and in the daytime, makes the sights much more visible and increases my accuracy. Just my .02.

(Not to say I think Nitesiters aren't worth it, I don't feel screwed out of my money at all, and if you are looking at something like this, it is the easiest method of getting night sights on your gun....just know you'll have to replace them in 4-6 months. Then again, I haven't had the paint on the gun long enough to know how long that will last.)
Now this is a perfect response. or atleast information i was looking for.

I wasn't really planning on doing any of the UV reactive paints as my primary carry will be CC. I assumed that IWB in its holster they would never get enough charge to have any effect. My main hope was to hear about products others had used and results they had with them including durability of the paint. As a primary CC normaly very few people will ever see it aside from when its at the range but I still dont want something that wont hold up. (hopefully no one will ever get to see it unless im at the range)