• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Contact Question

ca2az96

imported post

Does anyone know exactly what a LEO can and cannot demand legally while contacting you in AZ? Please cite specific laws and/or court decisions with your answers. See questions below for specifics:

1. While driving and being pulled over, does the LEO have the right to remove my weapon? Take it back to his patrol car? Run a serial# check? Can I prevent a aerial # check by taping over the serial #?

2. If I am not operating a motor vehicle (Passenger, or not in a car at all), do I have to produce ID if asked by a LEO? Is this a stop & ID State? Do I have to hand over my gun for "Safety of the officer" or for a aerial # check in this case?

3. If I am not legally required to produce ID (when not operating a motor vehicle), or if I am not legally required to let the LEO take my gun and run a check on it, and the LEO demands it anyway, will I be breaking any law by refusing to comply with his demands?

I have never been put in this situation, but after reading several posts here, I would like to be very prepared. Thank you in advance for any insight you might be able to provide.

me812

imported post

2. If I am not operating a motor vehicle (Passenger, or not in a car at all), do I have to produce ID if asked by a LEO? Is this a stop & ID State? Do I have to hand over my gun for "Safety of the officer" or for a aerial # check in this case?

Police may only demand I.D. in Arizona if they have reasonable suspicion that you have done something illegal. If a cop asks for I.D., ask him if he has reasonable suspicion that you've done something illegal. If he says "no." Tell him "no."

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have had a lot of leo encounters with my OC'ing. Never once have I had to surrender my sidearm(got lots of "thanks for supporting the 2nd amend). As long as you are upfront with telling them you have one if CC'ed or you turn your hip to them so they see it; They feel in control and appreciate your telling them. I get out of tickets this way.