• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Kern County/Bakersfield

SigMan180

imported post

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum andI think what you guys/gals are doingis great and Iwant in on the action. I recently applied for a CCW and got denied. I was really pissed when the sheriff told me that my reason of protecting my family wasnt a good enough reason but ifI always carried money and wanted to protect it thenI would probably get it. As i'm sure most of you would agree (when it comes to yours)my family is much more important than money.

I really want to carry my gun with me when I go places but Iam a little worried about getting arrested since I dont have the time or the funds to defend myself for being falsley accused of a crime.

My question is, is anyone currently open carrying in Kern County/Bakersfield? If so, what has your experince been like? any run ins with the cops? if so, what happened?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice with this.

demnogis

imported post

Welcome to OCDO SigMan180!

Sadly, California's laws applying to issuance of CCWs is still a "may issue" clause, meaning they can deny you for any reason, even after completing the necessary training courses and paying for all the expenses associated with getting a CCW.

Have you checked out http://www.californiaopencarry.org yet? If you're unsure about the laws that deal with carrying of firearms, that website will help you to understand what laws to abide by, clarification where you cannot carry, legislation and case laws that assist OCers in California.

I cannot say if there are any other members in the Bakersfield/Kern County area. Hopefully there are, and you can have a OC buddy!

4armed Architect

imported post

SigMan180 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, SNIP...

My question is, is anyone currently open carrying in Kern County/Bakersfield? If so, what has your experince been like? any run ins with the cops? if so, what happened?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice with this.
You are in a bit of luck. One of the best sources of info on CA Open Carry is in Kern Co.(Rosamond). Decoligny can be found here:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/8457.html

If you haven't checked out Decoligny's pamphlets, you should(and download/copy/carry them).

mjones

imported post

I'm curious if you know why you were turned down...Kern County almost never denies.

SigMan180

imported post

mjones wrote:
I'm curious if you know why you were turned down...Kern County almost never denies.

The reason given for denial is as follows: Your justification does not meet the criteria showing good cause for issuance of a CCW permit.

The reason i put on the CCW app. was for self protection and the protection of my family. The denial letter also states that i cannot apply again for one year !!!!

mjones

imported post

SigMan180 wrote:
mjones wrote:

The reason given for denial is as follows: Your justification does not meet the criteria showing good cause for issuance of a CCW permit.

The reason i put on the CCW app. was for self protection and the protection of my family. The denial letter also states that i cannot apply again for one year !!!!

Doh, sorry to hear that :(

Kern County is in essence 'shall issue' but they do make you play a bit of a game and fluff up your 'good cause' I feel bad you didn't have that information when you applied.

Be sure to hit calccw.com before you reapply the have several people there that will review and help you with your good cause statement for Kern. I hit that sight once in awhile...there is a tone to the forums there that I'm not crazy about; but the help-factor with regard to forming good cause statements has a great reputation!

cato

imported post

Most of Kern is loaded open carry territory (except for within incorporated cities). Read 12031 PC and then the county ordinance on where discharge is prohibited (last time I checked it was only prohibited in county owned or maintained parks) and then just avoid school zones or lock it up (unloaded) when passing through. Also avoid state and national parks (BLM land is OK for loaded carry). Again do your own research as I haven't looked closely at Kern'sordinancesin several years.

artwork by oleg volk:

Decoligny

imported post

cato wrote:
Most of Kern is loaded open carry territory (except for within incorporated cities). Read 12031 PC and then the county ordinance on where discharge is prohibited (last time I checked it was only prohibited in county owned or maintained parks) and then just avoid school zones or lock it up (unloaded) when passing through. Also avoid state and national parks (BLM land is OK for loaded carry). Again do your own research as I haven't looked closely at Kern'sordinancesin several years.
Still the same for the county ordinances. County Parks are a no-discharge area, so no loaded Open Carry in those parks. The Kern County Sheriff Deputies are aware of 374.c, so keep it unloaded while on the public roads.