• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is your gun loaded?

jp49911

imported post

I saw a post on here where a guy said a woman asked him: is that thing loaded. I loved his response: No, if I ever need to use it, I'll just throw it at them :lol:.

Obviously a gun's of no use if it's unloaded but I was wondering how many people carry with a round in the chamber.

So quick poll: Do you carry with a round in the chamber?

Me: no

partemisio

imported post

Yes. It's pointless to carry without one in the chamber. Do you think you are quick enough to draw the gun then rack the slide then get on target and pull the trigger before they pull the trigger?

To me, if you don't have one in the chamber you don't trust yourself enough, after all only your finger is going to make the gun go off. If you don't trust yourself enough, I'm not so sure you should be carrying.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

No, I don't carry my 9mm compact chambered.

I understand why so many people do, but I choose not to. It's not like having it in the trunk, locked up in a box that is locked up inside of another box. My gun is right there at my hip, and if I ever need to rack the slide and shoot, then I will rack the slide and shoot.

Racking the slide on my 9mm takes a very small fraction of a second (for me anyway). It's something I can do in a swift motion while I am drawing my gun from its holster and pointing it. It isn't like I have to stand there and look at the gun and think about what I am going to do next and scratch my head and make noises for a few seconds before I can locate the fanatical conscious effort to pull the slide one inch back.

It sounds to me though like maybe someone else is very slow at racking the slide on theirs..

jp49911

imported post

Ratt402 wrote:
I always carry with one chambered. I have a Glock and I have all the trust in the world in the safeties that enable me to carry as such.

Semper Fi!
I'm pretty new to carrying. I just got my first gun about a month ago. I have completed the cc course and I go to the range about once a week. I had also been shooting several times before getting my gun.

Point is now that I have more confidence since I am learning more and more about my weapon and am getting better and better at handling it, I may start carrying with one chambered.

Thanks for the feedback.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Loaded.

And before VAOpencarry or Nakedshoplifter chime in with a witty comment, I mean the gun, not me. :)

jp49911

imported post

kdcyyz wrote:
Yes.
Kimber 1911, and it's cocked and locked. Lately, I've been carrying my M&P instead (also with one in the chamber).
I carry an M&P .40.

I have a Blackhawk holster that has a button you have to press to release and unholster.

After reading these comments and considering the safety components of the weapon and holster, I think I'll start carrying with a round chambered. WATCH OUT NOW:celebrate!

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

Those who have carried without a round chambered and are around to tell the tale will tell you that they always had time to rack the slide.

Those that didn't have the time won't say anything; they're a bit too busy............being dead.

It takes two hands to rack a slide.

What if one hand is injured?
What if one hand is holding your young daughter?
What if one hand is busy fending off a strike from a fist, a club, a knife?
What if one hand is busy trying to stop someone from choking you?
What if one hand is busy holding on to something for dear life?
What if one hand is busy fending off an attack by a dog?

I won't fault anyone for their choices but there are just a few too many "what ifs" for me to be comfortable with Needing two hands, and Needing extra time.

Do pilots say "There will always be time to put my 'chute on if there's combat"?
Do boaters say "There will always be time to put on my flotation best if there's a fire"?
Do soldiers say "There will always be time to chamber a round if we are ambushed?"
Do police say "There will always be time to put on my vest if there's shooting"?
I could go on, but most of you have already gotten the point. :banghead:

partemisio

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
It sounds to me though like maybe someone else is very slow at racking the slide on theirs..
Not at all actually. Remember every second counts and when guns are involved the difference between life and death is measured in fractions of a second. Adding any unnecessary time to pull the trigger makes your chance of death higher. You won't always do everything perfectly, especially when under duress. Fallschirmjäger added some good points also.

Redwolf

imported post

I think the question should be why you wouldn’t carry with a round in the chamber.

If you don’t trust your gun, get a new one.

Don’t trust yourself to draw a loaded weapon, get more training.

At home I keep the chamber empty, but I have the PEWDS (Pitbull Early Warning Detection system) which gives me the time to rack the slide and try to save the bad guy (after I wake up, have a smoke, get dressed and call 911).

Kivuli

imported post

H&K USP 45 fullsize. One in the pipe, 12 in the mag, decocked and locked. I like having the extra bit of security the decocked hammer affords me on the trigger pull, and I carried a 1911 for a long time before that so the safety flick is a natural part of my draw motion.

buzzsaw

imported post

The .38 at my knee here at the computer has an empty chamber under the hammer but all the rest are full. I know modern revolvers have safety features that prevent that accidental fireing of the round under that hammer but it makes me feel better that way. Besides if I can't fend off intruders with the rounds available until I can reach the shotgun, other pistols, rifles etc it probably aint going to matter much but it ought to make a nice headline.

chiefjason

imported post

S&W 457 in .45, loaded with the safety off if it's holstered. It's back on safety when I walk in the door of my house. When I started practicing drawing, the safety motion really messed up my draw. The 457 has a safety you have to flip up. Trying to manipulate it while I drew left me with a poor grip. So instead I started practicing with safety off and my finger goes straight to the trigger guard. It's a double action on the first shot, so not much different than the other semi's without a safety at this point.

If you want to read a good article on why to never use your gun as a club here is one.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/HG_cruelblow_200905/index.html