• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Article on LawOfficer.com cites to Opencarry.org

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

vermonter wrote:
Ok let's examine this... I know it is a different topic, but is this guy a racist and did he murder in cold blood, or is he a hero?

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=4272882&page=1

1) Bloods and Crips by the nature of their official affiliation are criminals.

2) Armed criminals (known to be armed by OC) approaching me will be considered a threat.

Let's see: House breakers shot in back, or known violent criminals approaching with arms? Are both justified, one over the other, or NEITHER? Or does it depend on the state you live in, or is it a MORAL issue?

I am Pro OC, but the Anti's are right about one thing. There has to be a way to keep guns from criminals. We carry to protect ourselves from violent criminals. Criminals carry anyway. If they are known criminals by way of gang colors doesn't that make them an armed threat if they were to approach you with guns on their hips?

Yes Burlington VT is now compton! I work at a conv store and if 5 males came in in hoods, gangwear WHATEVER carrying I would take up a ARMED defensive position.

The way I see it is Crips and Bloods OC around LA will cause such an uproar that there are sure to be bans on OC and tighter CC. More fuel for the antis!

There is an unritten moral code in this society.

Dress in a suit and tie and no one will look.

Dress like a cowboy/redneck and people will say thats part of his "attire"

Dress like a gangbanger and you will be thought of as a criminal

I didn't write these rules! It's just the way it is!
Define "criminal" as used in "keep guns from criminals". I think you are giving out the same argument that the antis do. DO you mean to imply that association with an organization within which people have committed "criminal" acts denies any member the right to carry. So if an OCer/ member of this forum in Massachusetts is arrested for violating one of their firearm laws, we are all members of a criminal "gang" and should be denied a right to carry?

I am not arguing that you should not be vigilant if anyone concerns you, for whatever reason. Individually, anyone's vigilance is their call. However, to place a blanket exception to the second Amendment based upon the clothing one wears, the color of one's skin, or the associates with whom one socializes, absent actual criminal activity committed by that person, is an anathema to those who hold the Constitution dear. You seem to be spouting the same "party line" that many of the antis do. Assuming you are a supporter of Ron Paul, perhaps we should just say that your connection with his supporters makes you ineligible to carry a firearm. Although I agree with what he stands for, I think some of the antis may find his and your ideas "dangerous".