Thread: Non-resident OC in Ohio

Post imported post

Hi, I am new to the forums. I will be getting my Minnesota permit to carry in a couple of weeks but my Utah one, which covers Ohio, is going to take too long to get before my visit to the state. I was wondering if it is legal for non-residents of Ohio to OC without a permit? I have been reading several of the threads but I didn't see anything about it so I thought I would ask here.

Vielen Danke,
    Rob

Post imported post

Airforce1 wrote:
    Hi, I am new to the forums. I will be getting my Minnesota permit to carry in a couple of weeks but my Utah one, which covers Ohio, is going to take too long to get before my visit to the state. I was wondering if it is legal for non-residents of Ohio to OC without a permit?...
    OCing by non-residents isperfectly legal.

Besides mentally steeling yourself for a potential LE encounter, you need to geta voice recorder, and understand that LE are not necessarily aware (or liking of) OC - especially in northern Ohio.

Also, understand that you cannot carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle without a recognized license,AND loaded magazines/speed loaders in a vehicle equals LOADED GUN in Ohio.

Post imported post

Just to add on to your request for information......

I had a trip up to Ohio in January and did the "open carry" for just under a week in North East Ohio. Fairview, Cleveland and Elyria with no problems.

Asa CCW holder in Florida I did carry the weapon loaded in all vehicles used.

No problems, at least none that I was aware of.

AD

NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Airforce I don't know how soon you will be in Ohio, but you may try for a Virginia non-resident permit. I don't know what the wait times are for Utah, but Virginia has a 45 day maximum wait time and if you have ever taken a NRA gun safety course, hunters ed course or various other qualifiers you should be able to get approved and the cost is only $50.

Post imported post

Thanks for all your answers, the reason I ask is because I will be transporting what I'm going to say for now is "sensitive material" from Minnesota to the area around Delphos , Ohio sometime late next month. I will be going to getting fingerprinted this week so I can get my Utah permit but it takes 60 days max to get the permit mailed to me so I do not think I will get it in time.

Vielen Danke,
    Rob

Post imported post

Yeah, you're good to go. No matter where you're from, you're subject to the laws of whatever state you happen to be in, and Ohio never prohibited OC since the frontier days when it was more common. Do be careful about the aforementioned distinction between transport and carry. You'll have to do the "magazine shuffle" getting in and out of a car if you don't have a permit recognized here. Also, as previously mentioned, not all police are on board with this. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

-ljp