• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fredericksburg City Council considers new hunting and firearms ordinances

TFred

imported post

I was just looking through the agenda for next Tuesday's Fredericksburg City Council meeting (4/14/09) and there is a "first read" of a proposed new ordinance:

Prohibiting the Discharge of Firearms Except as Specifically Permitted: Regulating Hunting within City Limits: Prohibiting Shooting from a Bow Across Property Lines; Prohibiting the Carrying and Transportation of Loaded Firearms; by Amending City Code Chapter 54, “Miscellaneous Offenses” Section 54-7, “Hunting; Use of Firearms Generally”

The link to the proposed ordinance is here:

http://fredericksburgva.gov/agenda/2009/0414/11e.pdf

Unfortunately, I can't cut the text out of the .pdf, because it's an image, not text, but in summary:

Section 54-7.3 says it shall be unlawful to transport loaded rifles or shotguns on city streets, with exceptions for law enforcement, military, or any person who believes it is necessary for their safety in the course of their employment or business.

Thoughts?

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I looks like it will be in compliance except 54-7.1 paragraph E.
They can control the carry of a loaded shotgun or rifle to a certain extent, but not carrying them on foot. Certainly in a municipal park.

So that's only partially enforceable.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

- Sec 54.7 doesn't allow for shooting ranges inside city limits. As worded, non-LEOs cannot shoot at the Fredericksburg PD's range at their former downtown HQ.

- There's no provisions for practice or target shooting inside city limits. The topography of the Celebrate VA tracts would easily and safely support a 50 to 100yd range. I suspect the Acierno tract would as well.

AtackDuck

imported post

The question is: What problem have they had with people carrying loaded shotguns and rifles in the city? Are they looking for a solution to a problem that does not exist?:question:

TFred

imported post

AtackDuck wrote:
The question is: What problem have they had with people carrying loaded shotguns and rifles in the city? Are they looking for a solution to a problem that does not exist?:question:
This new ordinance was obviously in the works before Wednesday, but...

City Crime Report, Thursday April 9, 2009

SHOOTING:
1300 block Cardwell St, 4/8 7:00 pm.

Police responded to reports of a shooting into a residence. Witnesses reported that they saw a red Honda driven by a female subject slow down as it passed a house, and a passenger in the Honda shot at the residence with a long gun. The bullet shattered a front window, caused damage in a dining room, and apparently exited through a rear storm door. The house had five occupants at the time of the incident, none of whom were injured. One of the witnesses recognized the driver of the Honda and was able to provide information regarding her possible whereabouts. The suspect vehicle and driver were located in the 1600 block of Charles St and the driver gave officers permission to search her residence. A number of individually wrapped bags containing marijuana were found inside the female suspect’s apartment, and a rifle was discovered inside the Honda. Patrol officers and detectives searched extensively in the neighborhoods surrounding Charles St after learning that several male subjects were seen running from the location of the suspect vehicle just prior to police arrival. Three males were stopped and questioned, and one was subsequently identified as the shooter. Stephanas Rennick, 18, of Spotsylvania was arrested and charged with shooting into an occupied dwelling. Teresa Moore, 19, of Fredericksburg was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana with the intent to distribute. Rennick was incarcerated at the Rappahannock Regional Jail under a $1500 bond and Moore was released by the magistrate on a $1000 bond. The investigation is ongoing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

So we have several people that broke any number of laws....and a new ordinance will do what to help anybody? :banghead:

Enforce the existing laws instead of making new ones that will only penalize the honest citizen! :banghead:

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
So we have several people that broke any number of laws....and a new ordinance will do what to help anybody? :banghead:

Enforce the existing laws instead of making new ones that will only penalize the honest citizen! :banghead:

Yata hey

You don't understand Grapeshot. They couldn't shoot up the place because it would have been illegal to have the gun loaded.:shock:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

You don't understand Grapeshot. They couldn't shoot up the place because it would have been illegal to have the gun loaded.:shock:
So if I keep my eyes closed, I'll be safe because I won't see it. Right? :)

We truly have the blind leading the blind.

How, pray tell, will they tell if the gun is loaded until fired. By illegal search and seizure?

Yata hey