• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open car carry

bmeldrum

imported post

Okay so on the open carry site when you click on the maps & you select Utah it has a summary of the states 'policies' about open carrying. On there it says: "Open car carry: Firearms may be openly carried in cars only with permit/license".

So my question is: on other parts of this forum its been stated that you can open carry in your vehicle as long as it's your vehicle or permission from owner &it's not 'loaded' and in plain sight i.e. dashboard, seat etc. But according to this that is not true only with permit/license. So which is correct?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Those maps are for LOADED carry of firearms. Since you need a permit (until May 11th) to carry LOADED in a vehicle here in Utah, the map will stay green.

When the law changes in May, the permit restriction will go away, and our map will be updated! :celebrate

bmeldrum

imported post

Okay that makes sense, I should read more carefully. So I'll continue to open carry my 'unloaded' firearm in my vehicle (until May 11).

I love this new bill because than I don't have to have it on the dashboard or seat any longer & it can be loaded. I like that because I probably won't have my permit until at least end of July (seeing as they are backlogged). So from now till May 11 it's gotta stay visible, oh well I can wait.

So prior to 357 you couldn't have a loaded firearm in your home, place of business, or real property?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

There was wording in the Utah code that stated a loaded firearm at your place of residence was authorized, but apparently it conflicted with Utah's concealed firearm law.

This bill gets rid of any confusion, and decriminalizes vehicle carry at the same time! :celebrate

Outsider

imported post

H.B. 357 = A BEAUTIFUL PEACE OF LEGISLATION! Made my calls during the Session and to the Governor to get them into law. Love them! More so for my wife then me because now she can have a firearm with her (she's young, only 19) in the car.