• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo Shortage

T Vance

imported post

I ordered 1200 rounds of .40 ammo from Cabela's on 3/13/09, which said it was on back order for 4-5 weeks. Alright...cool...I guess I can wait. I went out this weekend and spent $19 (after tax) for 50 rounds just so I could finally shoot the damn gun for the first time (which was awesome!). I went to 3 stores before I could even find a box of any kind of .40 caliber rounds!!! WTF???!!!

Today I get this...

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent order. We are very sorry to inform you that we are
unable to immediately fill your entire order and the merchandise listed below
has been placed on backorder.

40 S&W 180 GR CONICAL NOSE LEAD W/ BOX 40S&W 180G CNL1200B
Backorder-Tentative arrival to Cabelas 05/11/09

If you wish for the item(s) to remain on backorder, you do not need to contact
us. Should you prefer not to wait, please contact our toll-free order desk at
1-800-237-4444 to cancel the backorder. For credit card orders, charges are not
made until the item(s) are shipped.

We will do everything we can to get your order to you as quickly as possible.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

WTF>???!!! I want my ammo!!!

Spriteman65

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Sadly I won't be able to make that tomorrow!

Maintain that backorder and hopefully they will honor that price when it comes in.

Ammo has gone up everywhere in the country.

The manufacturers are waiting to see what is going to happen and are hesitant to manufacture too much, meanwhile; there is a natural ebb and flow to manufacturing and importing ammo in general.

The cost of material has gone up and the price has yet to fully catch up to that increase.

Meanwhile, the value of the American Dollar goes down as out national debt goes up.

The political party that holds the majorities just spent more money than WWII cost, with none of the positive employment side affects that existed in the 1940's.

We are all in for one hell of a bumpy ride.

:(

MAINTAIN THAT BACK-ORDER!

If you find a deal at the gunshow, buy all you can.
$20 and less is the new "cheap" for 40 S&W.

Search www.auctionarms.com or www.gunbroker.com for the current selling prices of ammo.

BigE

imported post

I too have had a hard time finding ammo for .40 S&W, I was fortunate that 2 weeks ago I went to visit my neice and nephew in MS and my wife went to walmart and they had recieved 3 boxes the night before and she bought all 3, my nephew tells me they can't get .22 ammo down there. Wish I had known 'cause I could have taken him all he wanted. It's getting bad, people must have stockpiles of ammo, I know I buy it whenever I can find it, we cleaned out New Albany, MS out of all the .40 ammo we could find. It's cheaper there too, 50 rounds for 12.97 at wallyworld.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I heard an interesting theory that the Militia groups who are really serious about some incoming crisis have been buying it all up in preparation. As in a war of secession in some places like Montana. Massive stockpiling by these groups would make quite the impact on these shortages.

UnSeen UnKnown

imported post

BigE wrote:
I too have had a hard time finding ammo for .40 S&W, I was fortunate that 2 weeks ago I went to visit my neice and nephew in MS and my wife went to walmart and they had recieved 3 boxes the night before and she bought all 3, my nephew tells me they can't get .22 ammo down there. Wish I had known 'cause I could have taken him all he wanted. It's getting bad, people must have stockpiles of ammo, I know I buy it whenever I can find it, we cleaned out New Albany, MS out of all the .40 ammo we could find. It's cheaper there too, 50 rounds for 12.97 at wallyworld.
Hell we have plenty of .40 S&W here in Traverse City, the only shortage I'm really struggling with is the fact not a single store has 9MM Luger. been to 7 stores and same story they were sold out with no current orders placed for restock or they didnt know when they were going to get their stock up. I've heard various rumors but bottom line is the weather is nice and now im ammoless and bored outta my mind.

UnSeen UnKnown

imported post

I've been considering hand loading but have always wondered if it is really worth it time and effort wise. Also for a beginning setup for a reload station whether it would really pay for itself seeing as when I have been able to find 9MM I find it for 12$ a box for 50 count plinking rounds.

BigE

imported post

Front page of the local newspaper the other day was about AK's the local gun shop got in 4 one morning and by noon had only 1 left also .223 is flying off their shelves as fast as they can get it.

LaVere

imported post

A friend and I went to the Advanced Ranges in Burton/Flint today shooting. They had sign up about ammo shortages and would only sell a small amount if you were not going to shoot it there. Other wise you could buy more. The price of their ammo has gone up 50% since the last time we were there about a month ago. I am not bitching them out I'm just telling what I saw. But they did have 9mm. I didn't check on 40 or 45. Ammo. But you could shoot.
[humor on] I hope that a day or hour at the range does not comes down to 1 bullet.;) [/humor off].

UnSeen UnKnown

imported post

Finally I found 9MM Luger rounds at the local wallyworld. They had 187 boxes when I called in and by time to got there (15mins later) they had 75 boxes all priced 8$, needless to say let the hoarding begin...ended up buying 15 boxes, I figure better safe then sorry seeing as no one giving an answer as too how long the shortages last and the fact I put almost 2 boxes through my gun on a good day of shooting outdoors.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I ran across this, which was found here:
http://grantcunningham.com/blog_files1f0a89deff589f5706c99bd0d0984930-512.html

Supply Chain Management 101: on the ammunition shortage.

Monday, April 20, 2009 Filed in: Ammunition, General gun stuff, Shooting industry

Gun stores continue to be a never-ending source of hilarity. Walk into your local shooting emporium and ask why there is an ammo shortage, and you'll hear inane speculation coupled with a conspiracy theory or two. The reality is that the supply chain for ammunition is relatively inelastic, and and is easily overwhelmed by a sudden jump in sales.

As one industry consultant has told me, ammunition demand over the years has been remarkably predictable. Ammunition wholesalers know (within a certain margin of error) how many units of each caliber they'll sell in the coming year, and approve purchase orders for the delivery of that amount of product during that year.

Ammo makers, too, know with fair certainty how much they're going to sell to the wholesalers during that period, and sign contracts for the purchase of sufficient components to produce those products. They don't typically keep large stores of components on hand, as standing inventory is expensive, so components are delivered on a "just in time" basis.

The suppliers of those components do the same thing with raw materials; again, ammunition is a stable business, which allows them to forecast with pretty good accuracy the stuff they need to make the components they sell. This pattern repeats itself on up the chain, all the way to the people who mine the stuff necessary to make a single cartridge.

Along comes a huge, sudden spike in demand. Retailers all over the country are suddenly swamped with ammunition purchases, and quickly call their suppliers to get more. The first few calls are rewarded with replacement stock, but soon the wholesaler's shelves are bare too - their entire year allotment of ammunition is gone in just a few days.

The wholesaler calls the maker, and the same thing happens: all of the suppliers are doubling (or more) orders to get their dealers restocked, and the manufacturer is quickly stripped of on-hand components as he tries to fill those orders.

The dealers are out, the wholesalers are out, and now the manufacturers are out. But it gets worse.

The makers of the priming compound, primer cups, brass, powder, jacket material, and lead are suddenly swamped with desperate pleas for more product, and they in turn contact the suppliers of the raw materials for more. The entire chain of supply is empty, and everyone has to wait while all of the raw materials are gathered. (I shouldn't have to tell you that those folks have other contracts to fill before they can get to the rush orders - they're not just waiting around for next year's order from the ammo companies!)

That all sounds simple, but it just isn't. As an example, smokeless powder may contain a huge variety of raw materials: Nitrocellulose, Nitroglycerin, Nitroguanidine, Dibutyl phthalate, Polyester adipate, Ethyl acetate, Diphenylamine, 2-Nitrodiphenylamine, 4-nitrodiphenylamine, N-nitrosodiphenylamine, N-methyl-p-nitroaniline, tin dioxide, bismuth trioxide, bismuth subcarbonate, bismuth nitrate, bismuth antimonide, Potassium nitrate, Potassium sulfate, Talc, Titanium dioxide, Graphite, and Calcium carbonate. Each of these has to be sourced from a supplier, ordered, received, then finally compounded into smokeless powder. Think that all happens overnight??

Once the raw materials are finally in hand, the work can start. Lead has to be formed into projectiles, copper into jackets, brass into casings; priming compound is made from lead azide and/or potassium perchlorate, then the mixture combined with metal cups to make primers (they have to be made, too); the aforementioned powder has to be made (a huge job in itself.)

Once those components are ready, they can be sent to the manufacturer, who puts together into a finished round, then packages them appropriately. (Oops - we forgot that boxes and trays that have to be made and printed. That takes time and materials!) They're then shipped to the wholesaler, who (finally!) can ship to the retailer.

This whole process takes time - lots of it. If demand is high enough (which it has been), even the emergency orders placed all the way to the producers of the raw products may not be sufficient, and shortages will continue. That's what we're seeing right now.

The supply chain is simply empty, all the way up to the people who mine the raw materials. It's going to take time to replace all the links in that chain, and it's not because of the war in Iraq/Afghanistan, The Joos, FEMA, the CIA, a secret agreement to implement gun control through ammo availability, or any other silly theory you may have heard. This is a textbook example of what happens when an inelastic supply chain, composed with scarce "just in time" inventories, meets insatiable demand. It's not sexy or intriguing, but that's the way it is.

You know what's scarier? Your food comes to you the same way. Imagine what would happen if...

-=[ Grant]=-

Taurus850CIA

imported post

UnSeen UnKnown wrote:
I've been considering hand loading but have always wondered if it is really worth it time and effort wise. Also for a beginning setup for a reload station whether it would really pay for itself seeing as when I have been able to find 9MM I find it for 12$ a box for 50 count plinking rounds.
I found 50 rd Remington green boxes of .45 acp ball ammo yesterday for $39.99. I also found 9mm Blazer Brass ball ammo for $26.99/box of 50. If you can find components, you'll make out like a bandit.