• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bankruptcy To Close All GI Joe's Stores

LanceOregon

imported post

Well, no buyers stepped forward to allow GI Joes to remain in business. So the company's inventories have been sold to a liquidation firm for 50 cents on the dollar what GI Joe's paid for them.

So I guess that no one has to worry about open carry in a GI Joe's store anymore. For they will shortly be history. See this news report:

http://www.theoutlookonline.com/news/story.php?story_id=123931925555652200

You know, I wonder if the liquidators will continue the old rule of no open carry while they sell off the remaining inventory?

Jeffytune

imported post

I think the two things that killed them was, they forgot there core customers. They started out as a military surplus store, GI Joe's.

Then they started to go into sporting good, car parts, and moved farther away from there roots, a discount supply store.

The last management team they took over the store tried to kill off that image and to try and become a trendy store cratering to the kayak and back pack crowd, like an REI outdoor store.(I.E. the tree hugger anti army types)

And there prices matched REI.

When they dropped off the "GI" from there name, it was to try and draw in the liberal, anti military crowd, that never like anything to do with guns or army stuff. they would not shop there, but by removing the "GI" from the name, they insulted there core customers who most support the troops and our armed forces.

Upset your core, and the ones you were going after still think your a army store and won't come in, no surprise to me they went under.
I know I stopped shopping there when they dropped the "GI" from there name.

adamsesq

imported post

I have to agree with much of what Jeff said. I worked my way through college many years ago working for GI Joe's. They were still locally owned and managed and were a wonderful company to work for.

I think they served their market (sporting goods/outdoors and automotive) very well and can't fault them for their target audience. But when they started thinking the yuppy crowd would do it for them they lost it. I don't know whether that decision was made before or after selling to out of state owners.

When I left the Oregon area for a while and moved to the mid west I really missed GI Joe's. There just were no other do it all kinds of stores for the kinds of things I had fun doing. When buying a tent or camping equipment meant doing it online or going to WalMart you know things are not good.

But the biggest downfall of all, as the OP touched on, was the internet. Lots more places to shop and lots more competition for both stuff and prices. They just couldn't keep up with that.

I have not liked what they have been at least the last 10 years but I am sorry to see them go. Whatever sports/outdoors stuff I needed they usually had it.

-adamsesq

DenWin

imported post

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't like where GI Joes was heading. I started shopping at Sportsman's Warehouse a while ago, and more so (when I'm in town) since my friend started working at the fire arms counter there. Hope every one found or finds a good place to go from now on.

Mainsail

imported post

Joes had a corporate anti-gun policy. I was asked to leave for OC, I contacted their corp offices and was told that firearms carry, open or concealed, was not allowed in their stores. I told the guy I'd never step foot in a Joes store until their going-out-of-business sale, and I haven't. Then I sent them eamils telling them how much I spent elsewhere. The didn't seem to care.

jmar254

imported post

Sorry to hear about G.I. Joes, I worked at the Milwaukie store for about3 or 4years, in the late 80s.

I guess they found out the hard way what happens when you mess with the masses.

dartonvpr

imported post

I worked at the north Portland store in the early 80s and agree with the fact that they started to cater to the yuppy crowd, and that was the downfall. The problem I see is that most large chain sportinggoods stores are leaning toward the yuppy populace. I am seeing it in most of the local stores; sportsmens warehouse, fisherman's marine and joe's. Worries me that corperate america is forgetting who put them where they are today.