• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norton: Mass Shootings Could Come to DC

echo6tango

imported post

What? Could come? Does she watch the freaking news for her own city?? What color is the sky on her planet??

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Norton-Mass-Shootings-Could-Come-to-DC.html

Norton: Mass Shootings Could Come to DC
Voting rights bill runs into trouble

By JIM IOVINO
Updated 9:30 AM EDT, Mon, Apr 6, 2009

Two mass shootings last week could be a harbinger of things to come in the District if a proposed gun amendment is allowed by Congress, according to Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton.

Norton said the deaths of three police officers in Pittsburgh and the 13 people shot to death in Binghamton, N.Y., emphasize the importance of removing a gun amendment tacked onto the D.C. House Voting Rights Act.

"In only the 25 days between March 10 and April 5, 53 people have been killed in mass murders by gunmen," Norton said in a release. "Yet, members of the House and Senate have not looked at the gun amendment, but have regarded it as just another routine attachment to a local D.C. bill. The bill would eliminate all local gun laws, making the city, including official Washington, more open to gun violence than any of the jurisdictions where the mass killings have occurred in March and April."

Norton has been fighting both internal and external pressure to go forward with the bill despite the addition of the gun amendment.

Fenty told the Washington Post it would be a "tough call" to accept an amendment, but he hopes the city "won't have to make that choice."

GoldCoaster

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
And how many people have been shot to death in DC despite the total ban on handguns?
This is another one of those "Ignore the man behind the curtain" things. Truth be told if folks could protect themselves there'd probably be a few less killings, or the killings would be of the nefarious types that are already carrying guns in DC regardless of the law - you know the types, the ones that relieve you of your possessions as a service to the community.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Uh... could come? They really do have a skewed view of reality in the District.

rpyne

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
And how many people have been shot to death in DC despite the total ban on handguns?
Here, let me correct that for you: "And how many people have been shot to death in DC because of the total ban on handguns?"

Dreamer

imported post

As of 13 November, 2009, there have been 125 homicides in Washington DC. There have also been 2,000 handguns seized by DC Metro Police.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1239,q,561242,mpdcNav_GID,1523,mpdcNav,|.asp

What's really interesting is that in 2007, there were over 2,300 handguns seized. How could that statistic POSSIBLY be right? Handguns were illegal in DC in 2007. Nobody had handguns in DC in 2007--that's why it's such a safe city... [/sarcasm]

Another interesting statistic, is that this year (since Heller), the homicide rate in DC is down more than 24%--the largest annual drop in homicides since they've had since they've been keeping records...

I hope Eleanor Holme's Norton has plenty of hot sauce for her hat... :shock:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
I kinda doubt she's interested in any sort of truth or accuracy on the subject. I suspect she is one of those politicians who will say pretty much anything if it persuades someone in the direction she wants.

She also seems to forget a mass shooting caused by DC--Waco. And all the rest of the threatened force underlying the fedgov's activities.

jadedone4

imported post

... 9year old child was shot this weekend; later died at hospital. BG's were (reportedly) arguing outside kid's apartment, escalated to firearms being used, stray hit the kid.

I'm a native Washingtonian (born/raised only left for college, USAF), reside in VA, just like I do not like cold-weather - so I wll not live in New England; so to do I like my freedoms (and the Rights that I have earned) that I will NEVER move/live in WashDC with the current laws on deck.

Out of my elementary school class - 20% have fallen to violence (not all guns) since the 70's (and after Barry was shot and went on to change DC handgun laws).

The child above was not the first, and unfortuately will not be the last - to suffer from the insane DC laws. The madness (and the resultant sadness) seems to be ignored or just "spun" in some other manner....