• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarafication / Quick Question

thirdwatch2007

imported post

Hi,

First off let me just say that until a few min. ago I did not know it was legal in Kentucky to open carry, and this website is a great tool.

I am 19 years old and live in N. KY and just wanted some re-assurance i guess to that it is legal for someone who is over 18 years old to openly carry. I just find that a little shocking because I had thought up until a few min. ago that open carry was on the same level as a CCW permit.

If someone could just conform that for me that would be great. Not that I have any intintion of openly carrying anytime soon unless needed for a good reason but just a good thing to know if ever needed until I turn 21. In the eyes of a adult or a teenager seeing a 18-20 year old openly carrying a gun seams a little shocking from most people's view.

I am also wondering a little has anyone seen a person under 21 or someone looks like he/she is under 21 openly carry? Can a Police officer stop you and detain you and / or could you be charged for something under K.R.S. for just openly carying a gun in a legal place/location, and still in the holster.

Thank you all for your time and I just learned some thing that not too many people are aware they legaly can do in Kentucky. Thank you all for this website and I will pass the information and the website along. Thank you.

langzaiguy

imported post

It is absolutely legal for those 18-20 to open carry in KY! It also has to be absolutely open--OWB hip holster is the best bet. ALSO is legal for you to stash a handgun in the passenger seat glove compartment.

They just might detain you to verify your true age. And of course you have the officers that don't quite know the law. Is there a chance of going to jail? Yeah, slight, but that's when you sue for bookoo money.

(Don't open carry in bars and those private businesses who like their customers unarmed and helpless.)

Volomon

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
IANAL and I don't live in or know KY law.

It may be illegal for you a minor to be in possession of a firearm while not under adult supervision.
I'm pretty sure being 19 doesn't constitute being a minor. As to the op, this is a good tool. http://www.handgunlaw.us/

chris in va

imported post

They can certainly stop and detain you until things get sorted out, especially if a 'man with a gun' call comes in. Feel free to read the various accounts on here.

But if you're not waiving the thing around or acting stupid while wearing all black, etc...there's really nothing the police can do if you're abiding by the law. They'll certainly lecture you on what they feel is 'true and right', despite what the KY constitution says.

Word of caution, watch for 'no guns' signs on business doors. I found one in veeeeery small print on a theater door here in Louisville. They even cited a KY code that doesn't have anything to do with lawfully carrying a firearm.

Don't be offended, I ask this of all younger people. Do you have firearm safety training yet?

thirdwatch2007

imported post

Yes a little, My dad and I have been going to the range for a few years and I learned a few things from my grampa before ge died, and a about ten hours with a instructor over a year or so.

Dose anyone know any advanced training anywhere around the state? I am willing to drive to anywhere for good training. I have checked with a few local range's around and a few police officers and they said they did'nt rellly know anything advanced more than the average class.

Thank you all for your time and information. Sounds like the people are relly good people and know what they are talking about. Thank you all.

hotrod

imported post

chris in va wrote:
They can certainly stop and detain you until things get sorted out, especially if a 'man with a gun' call comes in. Feel free to read the various accounts on here.

But if you're not waiving the thing around or acting stupid while wearing all black, etc...there's really nothing the police can do if you're abiding by the law. They'll certainly lecture you on what they feel is 'true and right', despite what the KY constitution says.

Word of caution, watch for 'no guns' signs on business doors. I found one in veeeeery small print on a theater door here in Louisville. They even cited a KY code that doesn't have anything to do with lawfully carrying a firearm.

Don't be offended, I ask this of all younger people. Do you have firearm safety training yet?
They should not stop and detain you for any reason unless you have broken the law or the officer believes he can articulate a reasonable suspicion you are about to break the law.Open carrying a firearm is not a reason to stop anyone.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Someone under 21 may NOT purchase a handgun from a FFL DEALER.

From 18 to 21 years old you may OWN and open carry a firearm. Below is info I have posted many times before. Be responsible and have a safe time.

[align=left]Traveler's checklist:[/align]
[align=left] *Firearms Ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]
[align=left]
*Assault weapon ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]
[align=left] *Machine Gun Ownership:
no state restrictions, compliance with federal law only[/align]
[align=left] *Firearm law uniformity:
preemption law, firearm laws uniform throughout state[/align]
[align=left] *Right of Self-Defense: castle doctrine, right protected by statute[/align]
[align=left]*****Open carry: unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted[/align]
[align=left] *Concealed carry:
licenses granted to residents on a "shall issue" basis; automatic
reciprocity for nonresidents with licenses from other states[/align]

[align=left] *Vehicle carry and transportation:
firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) maybe carried loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns maybe
carried in the glove compartment (center console box carry is not allowed) [/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]
[/align]
[align=left][/align]