• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive encounter with Dona Ana Cnty Deputy

desert-prospector

(City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
imported post

Thought with all the negative about LEOs I'd throw in an encounter I recently had.

I live on a road south of LC, we have a lot of idiots who like to race up and down the road, so I had my wife call the Sheriffs office (told her to say that we have young children and they might get hurt). It was the fastest response I have ever seen, 15 minutes, 4 patrol cars and 6 Deputies.
The Deputy that came to the door was very respectful (looked and carried himself like a young man just back from Iraq) talked with him for a moment about the idiots, the whole time he keeps glancing at my right side.
As we are talking another one approaches and I can see him un-snap as he walks up.
The first one is still at ease and proceeds to ask "Mind if I ask what you do for a living?"
I respond "Why do you ask?"
Deputy; "I noticed you're wearing a weapon and was curious if you might be private security or something."
Myself; "Nope just a stay at home Dad."
Deputy; "May I ask why you're wearing a gun?"
Myself; "It's personal."
Deputy; "Oh, ok."

They departed, one cruiser parked across the road, lights out and 10 minutes later a car goes by him, he pursues and 5 cruisers stop the car 2 blocks down.
They end up arresting 4 punks, search the car with dogs and tow the car.

Haven't seen that car out here since and we now have Deputies patrolling at least once a day.

Desert Dweller

imported post

Law enforcement education is a top priority with me, I would like to think that those entrusted with enforcing our laws are on our side, unfortunately many of the stories, and my one encounter here lead me to believe that is often not the case. Two years ago here in Alamogordo, I was getting gas at Lowes, and I was briefly questioned by DPS, seemed like it was going to end badly, but after making a radio call, he came back and informed me that I was right and he was wrong. The event ended on a good note, even if he did seem to not like the fact that I was allowed to openly carry a firearm just as he was, but it aggravates me that they are ignorant of the law, and many seem to have a superiority complex (not real prevalent in Alamogordo).

Desert Dweller

imported post

MousePrifeII wrote:
wow great job, you got a bunch of kids arrested for a bunch of victimless crimes and probably ruined their life! I'm sure you wouldn't mind if someone returned the favor if you ever broke a firearms law accidentally or otherwise.

good job!

sorry i had to register to comment on this :banghead:
The law is the law, walking into a store that sells alcohol with an openly carried firearm is "a victimless" crime as well, but it will net you a fourth degree felony. Also, how long until these idiots did hurt someone, you don't always have to wait until someone is hurt or killed to enforce "THE LAW". This rates as just about the most asinine reply I have ever seen.

Desert Dweller

imported post

Big difference there Hoss, when carrying my pistol, I am not breaking the law, however racing up and down someones street is against the law. I suppose you figure you shouldn't be arrested for drunk driving either, unless you hurt someone and create a victim? You are free to go and spam elsewhere now, I'll say no more, you aren't worthy of my time.

Desert Dweller

imported post

OK, I'll go back on my word here. Racing a car/truck/motorcycle/quad, is not a right protected by the constitution, carrying my pistol for my personal protection is. There are places set aside for racing, in a controlled environment, much like I shoot in areas away from people's houses, most of the time I shoot at an established range, bottom line, they are infringing on my rights, they put myself and my family in danger with their actions, much the same if I were to stand in the middle of my road and start shooting. The government grants people the right to drive, and there are established guidelines, if you do not like them, contact your local representative and start the process to change them. Keeping and bearing arms is pre-existing right that was merely guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment to the Bill of Rights, what that means is that the government recognizes that I already have this right as a free man, and that they cannot take it from me, I don't think you will find driving/racing in there. Try actually reading the entire Constitution and Bill of Rights, then delve into the writings of the men who actually drafted the documents, read the Federalist Papers, you might get educated, shoot, you might even come to the realization just how unconstitutional our government has become, much of it in the last 6 months.

Jizzzle

imported post

i just wanna chime in here if i may.

"racing" up and down a residentialstreet is irresponsible.

if the street was not residential and was off in the middle of nowhere the only person the racer would be hurting is himself.

And then it would be a victimless crime.

this has nothing to do with the constitution or otherwise.

this has to do with being responsible.

if you wanna break the speed limit find a place for it.

they are everywhere.

desert-prospector

(City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
imported post

MousePrifeII wrote:
wow great job, you got a bunch of kids arrested for a bunch of victimless crimes and probably ruined their life! I'm sure you wouldn't mind if someone returned the favor if you ever broke a firearms law accidentally or otherwise.

good job!

sorry i had to register to comment on this :banghead:

These "kids" are between ages of 16 and 24, they were arrested for drug possession, they were stopped for speeding and reckless driving!

It is better that they were stopped by the Deputies, 'cause if any one of them would have harmed my sons, well I would have had a large hole to dig and I don't like to dig, the grounds rather hard here!

HungSquirrel

imported post

The only real crimes are acts which cause harm to others or place others in immediate danger of harm. Racing down a public highway far beyond the speed limit puts other motorists/pedestrians in immediate danger of harm.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MousePrifeII wrote:
yea drug possession. what a horrible "crime"

Yes, I agree with that.

But you're just trolling more.

Dangerous driving has a time and a place. That place is not in a residential neighborhood. Try a long, country road with nothing but fields on either side.

Or maybe a dragway.

If I want to go shooting, I don't just go to the backyard where I have 1/4 acre and other houses around. I go to my parents, where they have 1500 open acres in their backyard.

Or to the gun range.

Yeah, reckless driving is a crime, and if the only person you're endangering is yourself, have at it. But you're endangering others when you do it in a residential neighborhood.

Desert Dweller

imported post

In over 35 years of shooting, I have never witnessed a gun "just go off", it takes some action on the part of the operator. Nice try troll.

GJD

imported post

Troll.jpg