• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brave LEO in Modesto

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

This story is from 03/31/09. I don't read/watch the news often, and I didn't hear about this until today, when I read about it in John Pierce's blog, found at: http://digg.com/political_opinion/Where_officers_fear_to_tread

Story from the Modesto Bee found here: http://www.modbee.com/local/story/648161.html

This officer risked his life to try to help some unknown person from being killed. He survived an angry mob with only his sidearm, a broken radio, and canine partner. (As John points out in his blog, the victim was never found or identified.)

This illustrates just how unsafe the streets are. Our officers brave these streets well armed, and it often is the only thing that keeps them alive. This story also illustrates that our peace officers cannot always protect us, even when they happen along during an attack. In fact, in the vast majority of cases they will not be able to make it to the scene in time to stop the attack.

Yet our legislature and some among the LE community think we should be disarmed. Perhaps this officer wouldn't have been put in such danger if the victim had been armed in order to defend himself.

I'm glad this officer wasn't seriously hurt. I just wish we could say the same for the victim. In any case, it sounds like the officer may have saved the guy's life, just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

This is one of the reasons that the men and women of law enforcement needour support. When the radio doesnt work and they are outnumbered, someone has to come to the rescue of those who put their lives on the line every day. The least we owe them, is to make sure they go home safely.

oilfieldtrash11

imported post

it is great that the officer(and K9 partner) left the scene alive for one, and with only minor injuries. These are the times where if one of us had been there, we could have helped the officer defend himself, times are bad, and punkass teenagers trying to be tough are going to learn a lesson real fast, but if the officer would have used deadly force, he would have been sued. It is just great that the officer is ok and went home, that is all that matters.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The idea of a civilian helping an officer in a time of need seems to scare some LEO's.

Apparently POST gives them some super human immunity to danger and reason. It was not long ago where it was only a small group of LE and when needed they were forced to call up citizens to help round up the bad guys. If only they would trust the citizenry more we might be able to actually solve this crime problem instead of fighting and solving nothing.

oilfieldtrash11 wrote:
it is great that the officer(and K9 partner) left the scene alive for one, and with only minor injuries. These are the times where if one of us had been there, we could have helped the officer defend himself, times are bad, and punkass teenagers trying to be tough are going to learn a lesson real fast, but if the officer would have used deadly force, he would have been sued. It is just great that the officer is ok and went home, that is all that matters.

KS_to_CA

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
This is one of the reasons that the men and women of law enforcement needour support. When the radio doesnt work and they are outnumbered, someone has to come to the rescue of those who put their lives on the line every day. The least we owe them, is to make sure they go home safely.
AGREE!

poothrowingape

imported post

"Officers reportedly found a loaded assault rifle magazine near the scene of the assault.

During a follow-up investigation later Sunday morning, police said, officers found a loaded, banned assault rifle that police believe was used at the scene of the party. Gabriel Avila, 21, of Modesto was arrested on suspicion of possessing an assault rifle."

This is one reason i think the CA assault rifle ban is moot. the only people the ban affects are the citizens abiding by this law. This law doesnt stop gangsters and thugs from owning assault weapons, they could care less about laws when they break them daily. A mob of that size obviously had a packing instict going and easily could have turned on any of the houses on the street if that brave officer hadnt came.

a mob of that size would have taken at least 5 reloads from a CA legal weapon and thats if you dont miss, and hit a different person on every shot. this is an exact case on why assault rifles make excelent defense weapons too, especially for the home.

poothrowingape

imported post

Theseus wrote:
It was not long ago where it was only a small group of LE and when needed they were forced to call up citizens to help round up the bad guys.

It was called Posse comitatus. It was essentially the state's(or an officer's)power to summon help from the public to catch a criminal. While in a "posse" a citizen had the powers of an actual peace officer. And to refuse to help an officer calling you to join a posse would be comiting a misdemeanor P.C. 150. punnishment is 50-1000 dollars.

We wont bemaking any Posse comitatus any time soon unlless theres some kind of super natural dissaster and our local LE is stressed and streached thin. then maybe they'll ask for help. most likely from other LE depts. I guess ill never get my dream of being in a wild west posse lol.