• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ballsy floor amendment seeks to secure open carry rights in Missouri

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Kinda makes ya wonder if amendments would have been the way for TEXAS to go-Amendments to the existing Concealed Carry-don't know, tell me what you think, Please!

KBCraig

imported post

No pro-gun legislation makes it to the floor without going through TSRA first, and they've all but declared that they oppose OC ("we haven't studied it", my eye!)

I sincerely hope this passes the MO senate. This will serve to counter TSRA's argument that "no state has ever legalized OC when it was generally prohibited before". OC is legal in Missouri, but the patchwork of local laws makes it legally unsafe, and it must be considered as generally prohibited.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
No pro-gun legislation makes it to the floor without going through TSRA first, and they've all but declared that they oppose OC ("we haven't studied it", my eye!)

I sincerely hope this passes the MO senate. This will serve to counter TSRA's argument that "no state has ever legalized OC when it was generally prohibited before". OC is legal in Missouri, but the patchwork of local laws makes it legally unsafe, and it must be considered as generally prohibited.
Right - the counter to the TSRA position that no state has ever repealed open carry bans in recent history is that many states have de facto legalized it thru preemption in the last 5 years - VA, OH, and now maybe MO.

KS_to_CA

imported post

"On Thursday, April 9, two notable amendments were added to HB 668. The first, offered by State Representative Brian Munzlinger (R-1), would expand Missouri's concealed carry provisions to include public colleges and university campuses. After much debate, the amendment passed by a vote of 106 to 41. The second notable amendment, offered by State Representative Scott Largent (R-120), would allow for the open carry of firearms and also passed by an overwhelming vote of116 to 33."

This is what legislators here in California should follow. They should realize that (1) infringement of a right is, at the very least, moronic. Second, to say (and I heard this argument from legislators, LEOs, and shepples) that "California is different" when it comes to gun ownership and is a reason for "regulations of firearms" is to say that the Citizens of California are stupid, retarded and has criminal tendency once given the chance.

Vote these self-serving, self-righteous fascists who have personal armed bodyguards courtesy of tax dollars out of the California legislative system!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There have been lots of emails sent and phone calls made from numerous people to get this far. I certainly haven't been on the front lines of this but have tried to do my part. We do already have OC in MO, but we do not have preemption for OC and it can be very difficult to find out where we can and cannot OC legally. So, the second referenced amendment is a preemption bill rather than an outright OC bill unless I have really missed something. Hit up the preemption bill thread in the MO sub-forum for more info on how this has progressed.

Steelviper

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
So, the second referenced amendment is a preemption bill rather than an outright OC bill unless I have really missed something.`

True, while the text of the bill is solely about preemption, its EFFECT will be uniform statewide open carry, which is what we wanted out of HB875.

I normally dislike it when bills get slipped in like this, the other clauses are so distracting and the overall bill seems popular enough that this actually might happen.

lancers

imported post

Steelviper wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
So, the second referenced amendment is a preemption bill rather than an outright OC bill unless I have really missed something.`

True, while the text of the bill is solely about preemption, its EFFECT will be uniform statewide open carry, which is what we wanted out of HB875.

I normally dislike it when bills get slipped in like this, the other clauses are so distracting and the overall bill seems popular enough that this actually might happen.

And it's pretty clear the representatives’ intention. They clearly take away the cities/counties/municipality ability to regulate open carry. The fact that they had that ability and it will be gone is probably better than if she just made a preemption that never mentioned open carry. This makes it impossible for them say that they can still somehow regulate it.

I also love how many terms they use...

" in any way the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permit, registration, taxation other than sales"

Tex

imported post

Good luck Missouri, I pray it all works out for you, then I can come and visit!!!

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

Mike wrote:
Right - the counter to the TSRA position that no state has ever repealed open carry bans in recent history is that many states have de facto legalized it thru preemption in the last 5 years - VA, OH, and now maybe MO.
Fighting with TSRA isn't the answer. Tactics that work on some battlefields aren't as successful on others. Like it or not, TSRA has great influence in Austin. Some of it is well-deserved. Without them, we might not have ever gotten CHL legislation passed and would be at the bottom of the heap with IL (except that, technically, they have rural open carry). Nearly every legislative session since, CC has gotten better in Texas for them. Those achievements deserve recognition, respect, and thanks.

That doesn't mean I'm happy that open carry isn't a bigger priority for them. I'm not and I've made my voice heard. :cuss: I'm also working with them to try to remedy that for next session. They have their hands full with campus carry and parking lot carry as well as fighting off the usual bad bills that get introduced. I wish they would have added open carry to that mix but they didn't and we need to accept it. After these two high-priority initiatives are passed, CC will be better, yet again. Like many Texans, I have to choose between being disarmed or potentially fired every day that I drive to my employer’s property. :banghead: That TSRA will help to make that illegal is a great improvement.

I hope those who support open carry will keep the faith and adopt an approach more likely to be successful in Texas in the short run and that means making TSRA a partner, not a foe. As you all know, the hysteria over open carry makes our task tough on any day. Unnecessarily making an enemy out of another pro-2A group makes the task extremely difficult.

I am a member and supporter of both OpenCarry.org and the TSRA. I am because I want Texans to have the full 2A liberty that they deserve. Incrimentalism has been proven to be effective in restoring carry rights in Texas, though admittedly slower than I would like. I think we would be wise to follow that course. 50,000 signatures & the governor's support obviously isn't enough as we couldn't get a single member of Legislature (150 House members and 31 senators) to introduce open carry legislation at a time when parking lot carry passed the Senate without a single dissenting vote! Let's learn the right lesson from this. :lol:

In my opinion, the best way to achieve eventual open carry is through partnership with all who are our friends. They are naturally inclined to embrace freedom and simply have to be persuaded that this isn't some radical notion with a tiny base of support. Politicians are naturally cautious and risk-averse. We, the supporters of open carry,can easily meet this responsibility but we can't take the attitude that those who need to be convinced are idiots or enemies. They are the means to get from here to there and as such as extremely important and valuable.

The cold truth is that the number of hard-core open carry supporters IS tiny and even many (most?) CHL holders are ambivalent at best. We need to be able to convince legislators that the risk to them in restoring this freedom to all Texans is minimal. Bringing TSRA into the fold not only increases our "open carry base", but also let's law makers take comfort in working with their trusted partner on gun issues.

Let's make the 2011 session a more productive one for open carry than the 2009 session will probably prove to be. If we don't, we only have ourselves to blame. :X

SA-TX

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

aircooledbusnut wrote:
HB 668 passed the Missouri House on the 16th. 105 to 50. Have not found any reference in the State Senate yet. Let's hope and Pray.

Clint
Yeah, would be nice to open carry at the next Gun Rights Policy Conference in Kansas City.

rpyne

imported post

KS_to_CA wrote:
"California is different" when it comes to gun ownership and is a reason for "regulations of firearms" is to say that the Citizens of California are stupid, retarded and has criminal tendency once given the chance.
Watching the Hollywierd crowd and the state legislature definitely gives that impression.