• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave Best Buy in Jackson

maahes

imported post

I decided I needed a new digital camera since mine only stays charged for about 5 min. So I headed to Best Buy to see what deals they had.
I walked around the camera department for about 20 min with no one coming to help me. As I am comparing prices on memory cards two Jackson City police officers approached me and ask if I have a CPL. I state that I do and they ask to see it. Not wanting to push buttons I nicely asked if I was being detained and was my identification necessary, they stated I wasn't being detained and it wasn't necessary but it would make things easier since I may be asked to leave. Since I was there with cash in hand and needing a camera, I complied. We had a nice conversation about how having the CPL made it alot easier to carry since I didn't have to unload and case it every time I got in the car. They asked if I had considered concealing it and I said "Michigan law doesn't require me to conceal so I don't feel the need to" one officer laughed and said that's true. They informed me of the malls policy of no firearms and I stated how before Christmas I called the mall regarding the attached stores with their own entrance and was told they were not held by mall policy or hours since they have their own entrance, that is why mall policy is posted at entrances to the mall and not at the entrances to the attached stores.

They informed me that the Best Buy manager had stated that best buy has a no firearms policy, I informed them that Best Buys corporate policy was to follow local laws. So we traveled to the front of the store and had the manager paged. While waiting on the manager we had a talk about retention holsters and how my Serpa was still retention but provided quicker draw than the ones they are issued. :p
The manager took so long that one of the officers said "well theres nothing going on here I'm taking off" :lol:

Finally the manager arrived and tried to tell me what he thought the policy was, I suggested he contact his corporate office as I already had and thus knew he was misinformed. He insisted he was correct. I informed him "If that is the policy you would like to enforce then I will take this money for a digital camera and all needed accessories down the road where they don't discriminate against their customers." He said "well we want all our customers to be safe and we cant have guns here" I said "well I was a customer and it is because of my safety that I chose to carry a firearm for protection. No offense to these officers here but they cant be everywhere at once." He stated that it was their policy and walked off. I then left the store and talked with the officer outside about how dumb of policy that it is to cause a company to loose customers. He agreed and said "you would think they would make better decisions when times are this tough, your money will spend just as well somewhere else". I agreed, shook his hand and thanked him for his service.

I called Best Buy corporate to not only get confirmation on their policy but to file a complaint with the store. The first customer service rep I talked to stated that most states don't allow firearms in any business :banghead: I asked to be connected to her manager. Manager was helpful and filed the complaint and also emailed me the company policy (below). I asked that the stores general manager contact me regarding the issue of their store not following corporate policy and loosing money because of it.
After I got off the phone I received a text from a store employee I am friends with stating that the manager who was there had just put up a "No Guns Allowed" sign that he had just printed.

So good news: Jackson Police seem to know and understand the law regarding open carrying :celebrate

Ill update when/if I hear from the stores GM.

Email from Best Buy corprate:

from Customer Contact <CustomerContact@bestbuy.com>
to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
date Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 7:31 PM
subject Best Buy Gun policy - XXXXXXXX
mailed-by bestbuy.com

Best Buy strives to comply with all applicable law and statues. Best Buy also strives to provide a safe and comfortable shopping environment for all our customers. Best Buy does not ban guns at our retail locations. As a general rule, Best Buy does not post “no guns allowed” signs in our stores and we are not aware of any individual stores that might have posted such a sign.

autosurgeon

imported post

Bummer about the best buy... But cool about the Jackson Police!!

I will say this about the manager... the sand interferes with the breathing and that lack of oxygen leads to poor thought process....

Michigander

imported post

MI-copperhead wrote:
Amazing how stupid some of these store managers are.
I don't know that I'd call it stupidity, so much as never having been given a reason to know better. Far too many people have been raised with the idea that guns = danger and that those who carry guns are either gang bangers or racist idiots. We are very aggressively seeking to end that misconception, and I think an important part of that is to follow WARCHILD's rule about being as kind and polite as possible.

Kudos to all of you who have acted gracefully when kicked out of a retail location when OCing, whether or not it was corrected later. I was not quite as polite as some of you when I got booted from Hungry Howie's, but I should have been. :uhoh:

tygereye

imported post

Wow, over all sounds like decent experience, especially with the police officers... I can only hope if I come in contact with one it will go that well... Definately an opposite to mine and Taurus's encounter at Cabela's... very good to know that Best Buy is supposed to follow state law...

maahes

imported post

Michigander wrote:
MI-copperhead wrote:
Amazing how stupid some of these store managers are.
I don't know that I'd call it stupidity, so much as never having been given a reason to know better.

I would call it stupid business practice. I had over $1000k in cash in my pocket that could have been spent in his store, and he didn't want my money. And this store isn't doing well either, they just went through a "restructure" and removed a bunch of positions and let a bunch of people go. Obviously they didn't get rid of the people that were costing the company money.

GWbiker

imported post

FYI, There are two Best Buys stores in Tucson. I have OC at both stores several times W/O any comments from staff or customers. I did receive prompt service.;)

maahes

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I'm in Jackson on the weekends. If you want to go into their together, I'm willing to go there and OC on a weekend day. It give me an excuse to OC in the public for the first time. I'm sure Kimberguy wouldn't mind going either.
Probably wouldn't be a good idea to OC or CC there while this sign is up:

I stopped by this morning on the way to lunch just to see if there was in fact a new sign. Looks like they put it up with red Duct tape or red electrical tape :lol:

bbnoguns.JPG

mastiff69

imported post

When you send that photo to the corp. Inform them as to the money that they are turning away with that sign.

Also inform them about this web site and that we are in every state inthe union..

We are not going away, but as long as they have anti gun managers our money will stay away !!!!!!

Smile nice photo op!:uhoh:

Taurus850CIA

imported post

I'm trying to find out where the numbers are for the number of CPL holders in Michigan, and compare that to the number of residents. I read somewhere that it's 1 in 6 or 1 in 7 who are licensed to carry concealed, and that was before Jan 20th this year. On top of that, you can add some folks who carry openly who are not licensed, and that is a rather large number of customers in Michigan who may be severely offended by that sign. Now, if only I can remember where I saw those...

MI-copperhead

Anti-urban, Bible thumping, Tekonsha, Michigan, US
imported post

maahes wrote:
Probably wouldn't be a good idea to OC or CC there while this sign is up:

I stopped by this morning on the way to lunch just to see if there was in fact a new sign. Looks like they put it up with red Duct tape or red electrical tape :lol:

bbnoguns.JPG
Like I said, stupid manager. :banghead:He doesnt care how much money he loses by putting up a sign like that. What an a$$hat.

mastiff69

imported post

396 Michigan Open carry members and

189,160 thousand CPL carriers in Michigan alone,

plus the other THOUSANDS ofprogun owners in MI.

Ps. maybe someone should list them on Michigan NO NO (DO NOT LIST)

Michigander

imported post

While it's a great idea to contact corporate HQ's about this type of thing, as well as talk to managers, and give out those no guns no money cards, it also occurs to me that we shouldn't be too upset about being barred from stores. If you go to a gold star state, you'll see signs like that everywhere. It is a symptom of progress as much as anything.

The more ground we cover, the more no gun signs we'll see. The good side of this is that it will tell us who deserves our money and who doesn't.

Kimberguy

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
FYI, There are two Best Buys stores in Tucson. I have OC at both stores several times W/O any comments from staff or customers. I did receive prompt service.;)
i absolutely would go!!!! especially since after my jackson crossing situation, i talked to the store manager, and he was fine with it... but have been a different manger.

ya'll let me know, I was going to go today, but didn't have time.