• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not Open Carry but defense related

Thndr

imported post

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/200812

According to a release from Botetourt County Sheriff Ronnie Sprinkle, a family living in the Nace area heard someone yelling, cursing and pounding on their house at about 10:40 p.m. A man living there called 911 and secured his family members in a locked bedroom, then loaded a double-barreled, 12-gauge shotgun.

The intruder used a wrought iron patio chair to break a glass sliding door and come into the house, and the resident shot him, the release said.

“From what I’m told he showed some restraint,” Botetourt County Commonwealth’s Attorney Joel Branscom said Saturday about the shooter. “But it got to the point where he didn’t have much of a choice.”

The home is near the intersection of Houston Mines Road and Salt Pond Road in Troutville, Branscom said.

Deputies arrived as the shots were fired, Sprinkle said. The wounded man was taken to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Branscom said he believed that two shots were fired and that the intruder was not carrying a gun.

“So far from what I’ve been told it appears to be justifiable homicide,” Branscom said. “If nothing changes that’s where it is headed. When you have someone entering a home in the night and in a threatening manner, it is the kind of thing that rises to the level of justifiable.”

An autopsy is scheduled for Monday morning. Branscom said he would review the results of the autopsy along with the 911 tape and look through the statements before making a final determination.

The identity of the dead man has not been clearly established, Sprinkle said. The sheriff’s office is not identifying the resident because the incident is still being investigated. He said there is no indication of any connection between the intruder and the man who shot him.

Thought some in Va may find this interesting or a resource when looking for self-defense related articles.

ETA: fixed link

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It may be trite but never more important, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." Am sorry the homeowner had to go through something like this. Even when necessary, taking a lifewill always change yours. I hope he can get past this.