• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Succesful OC today in Texas

KBCraig

imported post

As I've replied here several times, I never hesitate to OC on my own property. I don't have hundreds of acres, just a 0.7 acre lot in quiet neighborhood in a small suburb (2,600) outside a smallish city (70,000).

I bought a pickup load of compost today from the local sewage treatment plant (a heaping cubic yard for $10!), and put most of it on our garden. Then I pulled the truck into the front yard to scatter the rest on a couple of bare spots.

Before we started shoveling, I had removed my cover shirt, as I always do as soon as I get home. So while we were outside working, I was OCing, as is perfectly legal in Texas so long as I'm on my own property.

When we were in the front yard scattering the remainder (I was standing up in the bed with my strong side to the street), our local police chief drove by (he lives on the cul-de-sac behind me), and I saw his head swivel. I gave him a big wave and smile, which he returned, and that was the end of our "contact". :cool:

Darn shame I couldn't count on the same reaction if I was riding my bike to the local diner at the end of our block. :X

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
As I've replied here several times, I never hesitate to OC on my own property. I don't have hundreds of acres, just a 0.7 acre lot in quiet neighborhood in a small suburb (2,600) outside a smallish city (70,000).

I bought a pickup load of compost today from the local sewage treatment plant (a heaping cubic yard for $10!), and put most of it on our garden. Then I pulled the truck into the front yard to scatter the rest on a couple of bare spots.

Before we started shoveling, I had removed my cover shirt, as I always do as soon as I get home. So while we were outside working, I was OCing, as is perfectly legal in Texas so long as I'm on my own property.

When we were in the front yard scattering the remainder (I was standing up in the bed with my strong side to the street), our local police chief drove by (he lives on the cul-de-sac behind me), and I saw his head swivel. I gave him a big wave and smile, which he returned, and that was the end of our "contact". :cool:

Darn shame I couldn't count on the same reaction if I was riding my bike to the local diner at the end of our block. :X
I also OCed on my property while cutting the grass last weekend as I frequently do. In a Dallas suburb, no less! :what: I waved at neighbors and passers-by. No gawking or MWAG calls that I am aware of. :cool:

NativeTexan

imported post

I was outside yesterday most of the day working on top of a ladder on a utility line on the main pole on my property all the while carrying openly on my hip as I'm prone to do. A local PD car came down the street driving a bit slowly. I noticed and waved at the officer and he nodded back. It seems he was 'scoping' me out. The pole is about 100 feet from the road with an unobstructed view.This is probably the 3rd or 4th time this has happened in the past few months. I often wear my ''Judge' loaded with .410 7 1/2-shot for any snakes thatI may come upon

In the 9 years I've beenon the property I've eliminated 6 fully grown cottonmouths from the local population.

TexasShooter

imported post

Kbc, I OC everyday on my property. Just a small 40 cal hanging out of my right rear back pocket. I talk to my neighbors, answer the door for deliveries all the time Ocing. Not once has anyone even asked me about it much less getting nervous over it. I think I have been doing it for so long that they just think "that’s just Dane with his gun". BTW my neighbors are 1. Fireman 2. Ex BOP LEO 3. Capt. at local PD. I am surprised that I don’t see more people Ocing on their property. Just a few pics of the snakes I have come across my "one acre" property this year alone. The poisonous ones don’t make it to the picture gallery.:) Yes Kbc I think you do know me.:DI can't seem to get it to upload more than one picture. I have seen three friendlies and two non friendlies.

SANDCREEK

imported post

It's been said before - but warrants repeating. The power to REGULATE does not enable the legislature to PROHIBIT the exercise of a guaranteed right just affirmed in the preceding primary clause of the Texas Constitution.

The assertion that power to regulate means license to ban a particular class of arms - if followed by the U.S. government would enable Congress to DISARM the militia .TO REGULATE - is to establish standards, uniformity, order inaffecting the arming - not prohibit it.

Pending the inevitable constitutional challenge to Texas handgun "laws", take advantage of every opportunity to OC, wherein the practice is not currently disabled.

My property, premises under my control or where allowed by controlling authority, when in direct route to my vehicle, and any other circumstancefor my safety when I reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent crime being directed upon my person.

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Its good to see others OCing on their propertys. I OC every single day at my place.When I am at the house I carry my Taurus 40 at all times, whether im chopping weeds,mowing the yard or whatever I carry it and will continue. Now I have never ever had a LEO called on me either, but oh well I am not worried about it. Keep Ocing every chance you get people.

SANDCREEK

imported post

I may have mentioned this elsewhere - but I'll repeat it here. If a person is a resident owner/renter on condominium property, or any other variation of HOA (Home Owners Association) control of PRIVATE PROPERTY - they enjoy the benefits of ownership rights in the common areas outside of the home.

Just as long as the resident's rights in this area are not restricted by HOA declarations/rules. Prudence and reasonable discretion should attend - just as one would respect the rights of an adjoining du-plex resident.

This is one way to expand the envelope allowed by current Texas law.

Another thought - I remember the days in West Texas of the "private club" approach to "night clubs", "honky tonks", etc. You know- the BYOB (bring your own bottle) spots. Obviously I'm not suggesting OC "clubs" in bars. The notion could be applied to cooperating feed stores, farm & ranch suppliers, BBQ/Steak House resturaunts, hardware stores, Mom & Pop retailoutlets,etc.

In Colorado OC groups contact various merchants (resturaunts) to allow OC get-togethers. Usually BBQ's are the most supportive. Think about it. How's about "COOPER'S BBQ " in Mason and Llanofor a start ? I'm sure some of you can think of many others in your communities.Just think of the EXPOSURE to our movement this would generate.

Participation could ( but need not be) posted at the entrance- depending on individual community "norms". Probably going to have greater response in semi-rural communities - but it's a START ! I'm sure most business owners would want to think about signing on, but eventually the listwould grow - I think. The increased security benefits to the business owner are obvious. The customer could OC while on that business' premises and on the (direct route)return trip to his/her vehicleIF parked in the participating proprietor's parking lot.

Thepoint is - seeking out available opportunities to exercise the right will put more "weight against the rope"of current law - hopefully weakening resistance of the opposition - just as "private clubs" eventually cleared the way for change in the laws. This is how social change is brought about. Just look at the "PUSH" of other movements - some we may not support - but they keep increasing the pressure against the "rope".