• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Denny's

fox689

imported post

Time: 1AM

So, I'm sitting between two tables with friends on both sides when a security guard and a guy in a shirt that says "Undercover" walks in. I notice them looking at me as they walk over to talk to the waitresses.

After a few seconds of them talking back and forth the guy in the "Undercover" looks me in the eyes and motions for me to follow him. I nod and walk a few feet behind him outside. At this point I'm not sure whether I'm being kicked out or what. When we get outside he points to my right side and here's how the convo goes"

"Undercover"(UC) - I was just wondering why you're carrying that pistol.

Me - Because I carry everywhere.

UC - Oh, well I run security here and I just wanted to know if you carried it for work.

Me - No, I'm inbetween jobs at the moment.

UC - Ah, Then you're just doing it because you want to?

Me - Yes, I didn't think it would be a problem.

UC - Well, I run this place and I don't like it when people I don't know carry into my store.

Me - Oh, well I'm *name* Fox *offers hand for a handshake* Nice to meet you.

UC - I'm *name*. I'm sorry to bother you. We just have a lot of drunks coming in at this time of night giving us problems. Just making sure you aren't a hothead or something. Do you have a carry permit?

Me - I don't need a permit in the State of Kentucky to open carry.

UC - Oh, I know. You don't need to be defensive. I'm just curious.

Me - No, I don't have a conceal carry permit.

UC - Do you have any training?

Me - Nothing formal. My military friends have taught me basic clearing techniques and I try to hit the range every couple of weeks. I also read up on the laws and keep a close eye on changes.

UC - Have you considered getting a conceal carry permit?

At this point I'm starting to wonder whats going on

Me - I've thought about it but I haven't had the money.

UC - Well, I know a couple of guys that do the classes if you're interested. So why do you carry?

Me - I follow the motto of 'be prepared'. I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and be in a situation that I could have used it to safely resolve.

UC - Oh, well have you thought about working security?

:shock: Is this guy offering me a job?

Me - Yes, I've put my application in to several security companies

UC - Well, I'm going to have a security opening this summer. Could I have your name and number?

Me - Sure, I can give it to you right now *pulls out notepad and pencil*

UC - Also, would you be interested in a retention holster?

I carry my pistol in a Blackhawk! ambi thumb break holster.

Me - Yeah, this ones starting to have a few problems. Have to make sure it's not slowly sliding off the belt clip. I was planning on buying a new one in the next few days.

UC - Well, let me get my friend. He's got an extra holster he's trying to sell.

He yells in to the guy in the security uniform.

UC - I'm considering hiring this guy, and he's looking at getting a new holster, just thought I'd show him yours.

Security Guy(SG) - Nice to meet you. *explains how retention holster works*

UC - So, what times do you like to work?

He is offering me a job :shock:

Me - I prefer nights, but I'm availible anytime.

UC - What about coming in on days off?

Me - The more hours the better.

UC - This guy is a lot better than some of the ones we have!

SG - Yeah, can't get most of them to come in on a day off for anything.

UC - Well, I'll call you by then end of the week then.

Me - :shock: Thanks :D

So, I go back to my food and finish. I remember about the holster and go to ask about it because they're in there to eat.

Me - Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering about that holster and how much you'd want for it.

SG - Well, I accidentally ordered 2. I paid $26 for it, I'm looking to get 24 out of it. They'll charge me $6 to send it back.

Me - Well, if I could see if my pistol fits into it, I'll buy it.

UC - Come by tomorrow between 4 and midnight and you guys can work that out. Also, you can fill out an application while you're here. Just ask the front desk of the hotel for one.

Me - Alright, will do. Have a nice night.

I'm still kind of in shock over this. Open Carrying might have gotten me a job. :shock:

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Nice! :cool: As I was reading, I thought to myself "Oh great... another mall ninja". I also thought his shirt sounded odd.

But it sounds like open carry may have helped you twice! Maybe a new holster AND a new job! :celebrate

JSK333

imported post

And so goes the old adage, truth is stranger than fiction! ;) That is pretty cool if you end up getting a job out of it.

As for his shirt... that's like one of us wearing one that says, "Carrying concealed." LOL! Very strange. Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it.

fox689

imported post

I'm very sure he was offering me a job. I just went in to fill out the application.

Sadly, no new holster. It was made for the original CZ-75 and variants.

45llama

imported post

That's a very interesting story, let me know how the job thing pans out. If it works for you I may have to carry to Denny's it's been a while since I've been there.