• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Guns Wanted here!

conservative85

imported post

Friday I had to take my Handicap mother to JK Harris in the Bruce G. Pollack associates building on Saginaw St. in Grand Blanc. When I arrived she asked me to scope out how far into the building we would have to go, as to whether or not she wanted to try& walk or go by way of wheel chair.

Being that this isa large building with various offices there was a receptionist desk. I rang the bell as directed, a gentlemen appeared (Robert C Gerholz Jr.). I told him the circumstances& if he'd show me where the JK harris office is. After walking back to the main entrance he asked if I were a cop, I said no. He asked why I had a gun, I said for self defense.

He asked if I had a ccw, I said no I have a CPL though. He looked confused, so I told him they don't call it a CCW anymore they call it a Concealed Pistol License now, but that open carry is legal. He replied with "Well I just renewed my license & they called it a CCW" then said if you walk down the street in Grand Blanc, the cops will give you a hard time. I said that may be true but It is perfectly legal to Open Carry.

Then he said well I prefer if you don't bring that back in with you. I wanted to leave but It was an appointment for my mother. So I went out got her & placed my pistol in the case and under the seat. My mother asked if I wanted her to leave hers, I said no, he asked me not to bring mine in. He never said you could not. So my 60 yr old mother placed hers in her cargo pants pocket and we rolled in for our meeting.

No incident,after that.

MI-copperhead

Anti-urban, Bible thumping, Tekonsha, Michigan, US
imported post

conservative85 wrote:
He asked if I had a ccw, I said no I have a CPL though. He looked confused, so I told him they don't call it a CCW anymore they call it a Concealed Pistol License now, but that open carry is legal. He replied with "Well I just renewed my license & they called it a CCW" then said if you walk down the street in Grand Blanc, the cops will give you a hard time. I said that may be true but It is perfectly legal to Open Carry.

Then he said well I prefer if you don't bring that back in with you.
If you have a CPL, andopen carry is legal,what the hell difference does it make to him wether you OC or CC. What a moron :banghead:

LaVere

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
Friday I had to take my Handicap mother to JK Harris in the Bruce G. Pollack associates building on Saginaw St. in Grand Blanc. When I arrived she asked me to scope out how far into the building we would have to go, as to whether or not she wanted to try& walk or go by way of wheel chair.

Being that this isa large building with various offices there was a receptionist desk. I rang the bell as directed, a gentlemen appeared (Robert C Gerholz Jr.). I told him the circumstances& if he'd show me where the JK harris office is. After walking back to the main entrance he asked if I were a cop, I said no. He asked why I had a gun, I said for self defense.

Then he said well I prefer if you don't bring that back in with you. I wanted to leave but It was an appointment for my mother. So I went out got her & placed my pistol in the case and under the seat. My mother asked if I wanted her to leave hers, I said no, he asked me not to bring mine in. He never said you could not. So my 60 yr old mother placed hers in her cargo pants pocket and we rolled in for our meeting.

No incident,after that.

That is just funny super duper mom.... Keep it going.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My comments here areprobably not the best solution to the OPs scenario. But the more I think about it, the more I am inclining towards throwing their cowardice in their face.

Lets face it, to the degree society is civilized, it lets people get away with not having to confront their irrational fears. They know there are no serious direct, immediate repercussions to ejecting a OCer, or CCer for that matter. Also, we have this matter of politeness. Its not polite topoint out certain things likecrooked teeth, etc.,and irrational fears. They are not forced to face their irrational fear; thus they can continue in it because nobody ever calls them on it.

So, I'm becoming more and more inclined to throw it in their face where they can't avoid looking at it, at least momentarily.

Basically, they're cowards to a degree. Perhaps not all of them, but I'll bet many. Some may just be the anti-OC crowd among the CCers. I'm not talking about them.

It takes no courage to confront a peaceful citizen and tell him, indignantly no less, to leave his gun outside. You andIbothknow they wouldn't dare say that to an armed robber or mass murderer. The reason it is safe to demand it from us isbecause they know we are not dangerous. Thus, we are a target because we're an easy target.

I respectfully suggest that the next one of us that is told to leave his gun outside write a strong, no pussy-footing letter. No confrontations in the store, mind you.Politeness and compliance should reign in the store. But, afterwards, a letter pointing out a few exact points. The OCer's indignation. The hypocrisy and cowardice of ejecting a peaceful gun owner because he's an easy target while they know darned good and well they wouldn't dare try it with a robber or killer.

If they ejected the OCer because "customers are concerned", perhaps demand an answer to whether theyprefer a customer who takes responsibility for himself, exercises his rights, and respects the rights of others (you did politely leave when requested, remember), or whether they would prefer a whiner who does not have those traits.

A copy directly to the employee who did the ejecting in addition to the letter to management.

They may go back to avoiding their irrational fears right after reading the letter, but at least for one brief moment someone said, "Hey. You're a coward. You knew it all along. Now you know that I know it. I won't let you get away with your fantasy/illusion at the expense of my safety and freedom."

Dan F.

imported post

Citizen wrote:
My comments here areprobably not the best solution to the OPs scenario. But the more I think about it, the more I am inclining towards throwing their cowardice in their face...
<deleted original text for brevity>...

...They may go back to avoiding their irrational fears right after reading the letter, but at least for one brief moment someone said, "Hey. You're a coward. You knew it all along. Now you know that I know it. I won't let you get away with your fantasy/illusion at the expense of my safety and freedom."
Excellent comments and great food for thought.

sevenplusone

imported post

Citizen wrote:
My comments here areprobably not the best solution to the OPs scenario. But the more I think about it, the more I am inclining towards throwing their cowardice in their face.

Lets face it, to the degree society is civilized, it lets people get away with not having to confront their irrational fears. They know there are no serious direct, immediate repercussions to ejecting a OCer, or CCer for that matter. Also, we have this matter of politeness. Its not polite topoint out certain things likecrooked teeth, etc.,and irrational fears. They are not forced to face their irrational fear; thus they can continue in it because nobody ever calls them on it.

So, I'm becoming more and more inclined to throw it in their face where they can't avoid looking at it, at least momentarily.

Basically, they're cowards to a degree. Perhaps not all of them, but I'll bet many. Some may just be the anti-OC crowd among the CCers. I'm not talking about them.

It takes no courage to confront a peaceful citizen and tell him, indignantly no less, to leave his gun outside. You andIbothknow they wouldn't dare say that to an armed robber or mass murderer. The reason it is safe to demand it from us isbecause they know we are not dangerous. Thus, we are a target because we're an easy target.

I respectfully suggest that the next one of us that is told to leave his gun outside write a strong, no pussy-footing letter. No confrontations in the store, mind you.Politeness and compliance should reign in the store. But, afterwards, a letter pointing out a few exact points. The OCer's indignation. The hypocrisy and cowardice of ejecting a peaceful gun owner because he's an easy target while they know darned good and well they wouldn't dare try it with a robber or killer.

If they ejected the OCer because "customers are concerned", perhaps demand an answer to whether theyprefer a customer who takes responsibility for himself, exercises his rights, and respects the rights of others (you did politely leave when requested, remember), or whether they would prefer a whiner who does not have those traits.

A copy directly to the employee who did the ejecting in addition to the letter to management.

They may go back to avoiding their irrational fears right after reading the letter, but at least for one brief moment someone said, "Hey. You're a coward. You knew it all along. Now you know that I know it. I won't let you get away with your fantasy/illusion at the expense of my safety and freedom."
Hmmm, I like it. As a rule, if there is one thing nobody likes being it is a coward.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm beginning to believe that it's more than cowardice. I think they are closet masochist. Think about it. They yern to be victemized and a open carrying gun toter will interfer with their chances of achieving gratification.

DanM

imported post

Citizen wrote:
My comments here areprobably not the best solution to the OPs scenario. But the more I think about it, the more I am inclining towards throwing their cowardice in their face. . . .

I've felt the same as you. Been there, done that, got kicked out for OC, and definitely did NOT get a t-shirt. :)

But then I think about the goals. Onegoal is to desensitizepeople and places to OC. Another goal is to attempt to get places that have kicked us out to change their policy, or get higher-ups to change or clarify the policy for their subordinates. So, my first choice is to remain polite, go over their heads, and politely seek to get the change I want. And it works, so it should be an option to try before being not-so-polite with the underlings, which could backfire with the higher-ups if it causes them to perceive you as confrontational.

That's my philosophy. See my thread on how I addressed being kicked out of Great Lakes Crossing Mall by the security director. I went over his head, with a smile, to the parent company's appropriate VP. And it seems maybe to be working in this case.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/24441.html

conservative85

imported post

They are just simple sheeple, they have been told to fear guns therefor they do. They arenot capable of thinking for themselves.

Oh oh! did I just exercise my 1st amendment right? Crap now Home land Security is gonna follow me home.