• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun permit questions

Eamus Catuli

imported post

I just moved to Tennessee about 6 months ago and would like to purchase a handgun to carry concealed. What are the steps I need to do in order to do this.

Another question I have is with regards to the criminal background check. When I was 20 I was charged with a non violent felony (computer crime) but I was never convicted. I did a plea agreement in which I paid a fine, did community service and under this agreement the charge was dropped and the complaint expunged. Will I have a problem getting a permit?

Thanks

Fallguy

imported post

To simply purchase a handgun you do not need any permit. This could possibly even give you a heads up if your prior record will come up. Since you do not need a permit to have a handgun/firearm inyour home/business either.

Many times expungments don't show up on background checks and you have to follow through with presenting court documents to show the expungment. So if possible it may be a good idea to contact the court and go ahead and get those records.

You can see a bit of the information on getting a TN Handgun Carry Permit on the state's website here.

Basically you will need to take a Dept of Safety certified safety class. You can check your local paper or I thing there may be sources on here where classes are available. The cost can range anywhere between $50 - $100. Upon successful completion you will be given a certificate that is valid for 6 months.

Within that 6 months you go to a Drivers License testing center to fill out an application.Take the certificate and proof of USCitizenship or Lawful Permit Residency.The cost of the permit is $115 and is non-refundable and due at the time of the application. They will direct you to a place to have your fingerprints taken.

Then it is basically sit and wait. The state has 90 days to issue you the permit or give you a reason for denial. You can appeal a denial.

Eamus Catuli

imported post

So is the fact that it was a non violent crime (charged, not convicted) have any bearing on whether I would be approved or denied? Basically if they run a check on me and see that it is on my record but somehow not expunged like you said it might not be, would it be more likely that I would be denied? I thought I read somewhere that that was only the case for felons of violent crimes.

Eamus Catuli

imported post

Actually I may have just found the answer to that question here..

http://tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/qualifications.htm

[*]Applicants are required to be a resident of the State of Tennessee;
[*]Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
[*]Applicants shall not have been convicted of any felony offense punishable for a term exceeding one (1) year;
[*]Applicants shall not currently be under indictment or information for any criminal offense punishable by a term exceeding one (1) year;

It seems I should be ok..

Fallguy

imported post

Eamus Catuli wrote:
So is the fact that it was a non violent crime (charged, not convicted) have any bearing on whether I would be approved or denied? Basically if they run a check on me and see that it is on my record but somehow not expunged like you said it might not be, would it be more likely that I would be denied? I thought I read somewhere that that was only the case for felons of violent crimes.

There is a bill in the state legislature now to separate violent from non-violent felonies. But for now...a felony is a felony.

A felony by it's nature can carry a sentence of at least 1 year. Even if you are sentenced to less. The maximum for any misdemeanor conviction is 11 months and 29 days.

But as you said, the law says, convicted so I agree you should be able to get a HCP in the end. I'm just saying you may have to show the record of the expungment to the Dept of Safety before you are approved.

Eamus Catuli

imported post

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about it because the law is only concerned about those convicted, which I never was. So, expunged or not, it technicallyshould not matter.

Eamus Catuli

imported post

Yes, but the terms of the agreement were that I pay the fine, do the community service and all charges are dropped, which they were.