• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to arizona and have a quick question to clear things up

zx-twitch

imported post

I just got out of the army and moved to az. I have heard that you have to have a az ID to open carry. but I can't find thins in writing any where so is this true? and on monday I will be switching my texas drivers license to an az license so I will only have a paper license for a while. however I do still have a valid military ID with a picture so will that suffice if I carry it in conjunction with the paper az license if the az ID is necessary?

hammer6

imported post

yes. several times. phoenix, tucson, yuma, tombstone- and wherever else i was in between there

DMGNUT

imported post

Twitch,

You need not be a resident of AZ.You do need to be an adult with valid ID. In your case the military ID isprobably more than enough, but a LEO may ask to see your drivers license from your home state as well.

Thank you for your service, and if I may ask, what part of AZ will you be relocating to?

Michigander

imported post

Of the hundreds of cops that saw me open carrying in Arizona last year, none ever asked me for my ID because of it.

Probably still a good idea to have it with you, just in case.

Armed4Life

imported post

No ID is required to open carry in AZ. In fact, I purposely do NOT carry ID when I open carry on foot. If you are LAWFULLY detained, you must identify yourself, that is it. Obviously if you are driving, then a drivers license is required.

protector84

imported post

It is a common myth that you are required to carry ID in Arizona. Show me the law requiring anyone to carry ID because there isn't one. The only exception is carrying a driver's license while actually driving. If you are stopped and detained by the police, they can require you to "identify yourself." However, that still does not mean you have to show an ID. It may mean you must provide the officer with your legal name, date of birth, and current address which they will check on the computer. It may be to your favor to carry an ID just to make things easier and in the event of an emergency such as being sent to the hospital where it would be to your advantage that they know who you are to notify your family.

zx-twitch

imported post

thanks for the help everyone.

DMGNUT I now live in Phoenix in the north valley. I am Attending MMI. But Az will be my home for the rest of my life.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

zx-twitch wrote:

DMGNUT I now live in Phoenix in the north valley. I am Attending MMI. But Az will be my home for the rest of my life.

My nephew lives in Scottsdale and is going to MMI in Phoenix... he says it's a great school. Have fun, and OC! You picked a very free state to live in. If it didn't get so dang hot in the summer, I'd live there too...

Carry on!

GWbiker

imported post

fighting_for_freedom wrote:
zx-twitch wrote:

My nephew lives in Scottsdale and is going to MMI in Phoenix... he says it's a great school. Have fun, and OC! You picked a very free state to live in. If it didn't get so dang hot in the summer, I'd live there too...

Carry on!
But.........it' a DRY heat.

A few years ago I saw 116 degrees on my GW inboard temp gauge, while I was riding quickly thru Phoenix on !-17.

DMGNUT

imported post

Twitch,

Welcome to our state, from your friendly neighborhood Drunk Machine Gunners Club. I'm in the Chandler area, on the south east side of Phoenix.

As for those who posted you need not have an ID to OC (when on foot or perhaps bicycle), they are absolutely correct. In regards to never really being bothered by LEOs when OCing here in AZ, again they are absolutely correct (so long as you're just going about your business). However, in my opinion (and from having several family members who are LEOs), it never hurts to be a bit overly polite, friendly,and have documentation handy, when dealing with LEOs. Knowing the law, and trying to push a cop into a corner with said law (whether you're right or not), willgenerally end poorly for you. For example, if you happen to match the description of some scumbag with a rap sheet, who just committed another crime, your ID, over your "word", will be most helpful in putting the cops mind at ease, and allowing you to continue on your way. Just something to think about. I realize the point of OCing... for the most part, is to help readjust people's way of looking at someone with a gun. I realize this readjustment, is in some cases even needed for the LEO community. But for the most part, at least here in AZ, that's not the case... LEOs recognize us as the good guys. Giving them a hard time about some technicality in the law books, would be counter productive to our goals. IMO.

zx-twitch

imported post

I couldn't agree more. I will still carry ID as I always do. I am from Mi originally and while OCing is legal there is is very frowned appon. at least in my home town. so far I love AZ

curtm1911

imported post

zx-twitch,

Welcome to Arizona and Thank You for your service. If you ever get the itch come summer time to shoot and not have your guns get hotter when you set them down, drop me a line sometime and I would enjoy Celebrating the Second Amendment with you at the Scottsdale Gun Club as a guest of mine. You served to keep me free, it is the least I could do to repay you for it.

BTW, what part of Michigan are you from. I am from Indiana and my borther lives in White Pigeon. Us Midwest boys can compare our skills/notes/and Winter Horror Stories...........lol

zx-twitch

imported post

Curtm1911 Thanks for the offer! I would love to go shooting. I havent been to a range in Az yet. I am up for going any day. I also need some help finding some where to find a place to take the class for CCW. And I am from Muskegon Mi. its about half way up the west coast. About second knuckle on the mitten.

curtm1911

imported post

zx-twitch,

PM me here and let's set something up to make a trip to the club. BTW, they have the CWP classes there too, kinda neat, one stop shopping for the discerning gunner..........lol

vingthorr

imported post

i'm an leo in az, and at least down on the border no leo will flinch to see you OCing, they'll notice, sure, but won't mind. i enjoy seeingfolks OCingmyself, makes me feel like there's ordinary folks on our side. the thought to ask to see your IDsolely because you're carrying wouldn't even occur to me, i'd consider that harrassment.

zx-twitch

imported post

thats really good to know. so far every LEO I have come across hasn't gave me second look. which is pretty cool. Although I haven't carried in a few days. I need a new gun. My xd is just to much weight on my hip all the time and I need a holster for my bulldog. I am thinking about getting a Kahr.

Curtm1911 can I rent a kahr 45 at the gun club? I have been meaning to email you but I had to go to Mi unexpectedly and wont be back till the 18th. but I will definitely shoot you an email when I get back.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

I have lived in Yuma for nearly 20 years now, and I open carry a lot. I have been stopped three times that I recall while open carrying. Twice I did not have ID. I was out running and told the officers that I did not have it. They were polite. One officer even told another that he shouldn't worry about it because if he were out running in the neighborhood, he would be carrying as well. Once was in the Library where I was confronted with three officers, but as I knew the law, after an exchange of pleasantries, I told them I was finished with my business and leaving. They did nothing more.

I have to say that I teach CCW classes and helped organize a protest to push the county to follow the law after that event. They had a special meeting just hours before the protest and backed off on trying to bulldoze us, so I am reasonably well known in the community.