Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Well, there's a first time for everything!

  1. #1
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    I took my family down to Easter on Parade today on Monument Ave. Walked around, ate food, did some shopping - all with my Glock OC'd on my side. Not a word was said............until.......

    we were heading down Monument on our way back to our car. I heard "excuse me sir, excuse me". I turned around and stopped to see 3 yellow jacketed VCU event staff workers standing before me. One guy said "um, are you 5-0?". I looked at him with the intentionally dumb, inquisitive look that I perfected over the years and replied "no, why?"

    The guy responds with "oh, well I guess you have a permit for..." and I stopped him in mid-sentence with "Dont need a permit to carry like this". I then started walking away. The yellow jacketed gentleman started walking sideways to continue the conversation and he said "well we just dont want to see any problems on campus". As I continued walking, I looked over at him and said "I'm not on campus, I'm on a public street".

    As I walked away, I started walking near an older gentleman who looked over and said "We're they asking you about your pistol?". I said "yeah, they were" and he replied "Ain't nothing wrong with carrying it like that! Now dont go buy a beer in 7-11 and start drinking it on the way out the door. One day I did that and there was a Chesterfield policeman there and........blah, blah, blah"

    I looked behind me to see one yellow jacket still walking behind us. The lead guy that had asked me the questions ran to 3 RPD officers standing on the side of the street. As we walked by, the yellow jacket said something to the 3 officers and pointed to me. They barely even glanced my way. Guess they told him to cool his jets and learn the law before he bothers another law abiding citizen!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hampton, Va, ,
    Posts
    623

    Post imported post

    If it was me I would have told them "No, I'm 4-8 and will be 4-9 next September"and kept walking.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

  3. #3
    Newbie W.E.G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    all over VA, ,
    Posts
    503

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    walking away. The yellow jacketed gentleman started walking sideways to continue the conversation...
    Sounds like you just got "bladed" by...



  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gloucester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    mobeewan wrote:
    If it was me I would have told them "No, I'm 4-8 and will be 4-9 next September"and kept walking.
    Thats some funny stuff there, I'm gonna have to use that,

  5. #5
    Lone Star Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    123

    Post imported post

    Gotta love "event staff."

  6. #6
    Regular Member doug23838's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    302

    Post imported post

    Pagan wrote:
    mobeewan wrote:
    If it was me I would have told them "No, I'm 4-8 and will be 4-9 next September"and kept walking.
    Thats some funny stuff there, I'm gonna have to use that,
    Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are, that's funny! .



  7. #7
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    I would have been forced to ask them what 50 was and then made them explain where it came from. I usually just walk away without answering, but in this case, why not make them speak english.

  8. #8
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    I would have gotten to the cops before they could and asked the cops nicely to tell the staff to stop harassing you.

  9. #9
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    mobeewan wrote:
    If it was me I would have told them "No, I'm 4-8 and will be 4-9 next September"and kept walking.
    Or how about "No, I'm right around 5-11. Have you always had such a difficult time judging height?"



    TFred


  10. #10
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    buster81 wrote:
    I would have been forced to ask them what 50 was and then made them explain where it came from. I usually just walk away without answering, but in this case, why not make them speak english.
    I generally try not to be rude and honestly, I was just enjoying the day with my family and some out of town guests. I wasn't interested in holding class right there and explaining the finer points of the law to Mr. Event Staff. I did love giving him that dumb, deer in the headlights look when he asked if I was 5-0. For 12 years, I spent so much effort trying not to look like 5-0 when I was one. Now, I can screw with folks trying to scare me with their yellow windbreakers.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    mobeewan wrote:
    If it was me I would have told them "No, I'm 4-8 and will be 4-9 next September"and kept walking.
    You would have to be 4-5 or 4-6 ot older to even remember Hawaii 5-0 to know what five - OH even meant!
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  12. #12
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    Nu-ugh. I'm 4-2 and I used to watch it all the time.

    So, if you had said yes, you're not really admitting to anything. It's not like saying, "I am a Police Officer" is it?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  13. #13
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    buster81 wrote:
    I would have been forced to ask them what 50 was and then made them explain where it came from. I usually just walk away without answering, but in this case, why not make them speak english.
    I generally try not to be rude and honestly, I was just enjoying the day with my family and some out of town guests. I wasn't interested in holding class right there and explaining the finer points of the law to Mr. Event Staff. I did love giving him that dumb, deer in the headlights look when he asked if I was 5-0. For 12 years, I spent so much effort trying not to look like 5-0 when I was one. Now, I can screw with folks trying to scare me with their yellow windbreakers.
    I'm not saying you need to be rude. What is 50 anyway? Is that code for something?

    I often have people explain their questions while I keep walking. It's actually kind of amusing, but I alwasys do it with a smile.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Herndon, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    336

    Post imported post

    buster81 wrote:
    I'm not saying you need to be rude. What is 50 anyway? Is that code for something?

    I often have people explain their questions while I keep walking. It's actually kind of amusing, but I alwasys do it with a smile.
    5-0 is slang for a police officer. It dates back to the TV series Hawaii Five-0, a cop show set in Hawaii starring Jack Lord. It's also where the phrase "Book 'em Danno!" comes from.

    http://www.mjq.net/fiveo/

    The series is set for remake this year on CBS.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    Now dont go buy a beer in 7-11 and start drinking it on the way out the door. One day I did that and there was a Chesterfield policeman there and........


  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richmond Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    636

    Post imported post

    So factual information, the event Easter On Parade is not held on VCU property and is at least six blocks away from the Monroe Park Campus. The Event Staff is an Event Security firm used by the organizer of the Easter On Parade. Venture Richmond is the group that is responsible for putting on Easter On Parade, most of its funding comes from the City of Richmond and public sponsorships. VCU does not participate with either. Easter On Parade is held entirely on public property.

    You will see those yellow jacketed security people at just about any public event in Richmond or Charolettesville.

    By the way, the wife & I were walking by those same three yellow jacketed guys and I told her watch this. It a louder than normal voice I said, did you see that guy with a Glock on his side.

    Well, Now you know the rest of the story.

    For those of you never who have never attended Easter on Parade, it is every Easter from 1 till 6 in the afternoon on beautiful Monument Avenue between N. Davis & N. Allen Sts. It is not a real parade rather than watching all the people in there Sunday best or worst walk around. Parking is tough and you might have to walk a block or two. Broad Street around DMV is the best place to start looking.

  17. #17
    Regular Member ChinChin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    683

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    One guy said "um, are you 5-0?". I looked at him with the intentionally dumb, inquisitive look that I perfected over the years and replied "no, why?"
    Wasn't it Grapeshot who got asked this one time; and responded with "Are you intentionaly trying to blow my cover?, are you trying to get me killed? GO...AWAY ...NOW" and it worked.

    May have been Bobcav. . .I forget.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

  18. #18
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    kenny wrote:
    So factual information, the event Easter On Parade is not held on VCU property and is at least six blocks away from the Monroe Park Campus. The Event Staff is an Event Security firm used by the organizer of the Easter On Parade. Venture Richmond is the group that is responsible for putting on Easter On Parade, most of its funding comes from the City of Richmond and public sponsorships. VCU does not participate with either. Easter On Parade is held entirely on public property. I did notice that some of the guys walking around with yellow jackets that said RCM Events and some had VCU event staff on the back. I assumed (since I didnt see their backs) that the guys who stopped me were VCU, not RCM. I suppose that they could have been from either one.

    By the way, the wife & I were walking by those same three yellow jacketed guys and I told her watch this. It a louder than normal voice I said, did you see that guy with a Glock on his side. Ahhh! So you ratted me out! haha You should have stopped me and said hello!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,601

    Post imported post

    ChinChin wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    One guy said "um, are you 5-0?". I looked at him with the intentionally dumb, inquisitive look that I perfected over the years and replied "no, why?"
    Wasn't it Grapeshot who got asked this one time; and responded with "Are you intentionaly trying to blow my cover?, are you trying to get me killed? GO...AWAY ...NOW" and it worked.

    May have been Bobcav. . .I forget.
    Wasn't me - I have no cover - I'm "Unforgetable."

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    ChinChin wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    One guy said "um, are you 5-0?". I looked at him with the intentionally dumb, inquisitive look that I perfected over the years and replied "no, why?"
    Wasn't it Grapeshot who got asked this one time; and responded with "Are you intentionaly trying to blow my cover?, are you trying to get me killed? GO...AWAY ...NOW" and it worked.

    May have been Bobcav. . .I forget.
    Wasn't me - I have no cover - I'm "Unforgetable."

    Yata hey
    Grapeshot occassionally seeks concealment, but is too thin to provide effective cover. And "unforgetable" is possily the understatement of the 21st Century.

    On the other hand, as the show was winding down and the hired help was putting away some of the folding barriers I had a conversation with one of the Richmond cops - with my .45 staring up at him all the while. Of all the topics that were discused, the presence of my pistol never came up.

    stay safe.

    skidmark

    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  21. #21
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    mobeewan wrote:
    If it was me I would have told them "No, I'm 4-8 and will be 4-9 next September"and kept walking.
    You would have to be 4-5 or 4-6 ot older to even remember Hawaii 5-0 to know what five - OH even meant!
    It was actually still on in first run prime time until 1980. Longest running cop show until the Law & Order stuff passed it. I'm actually working through the first season right now.

    "Five-O? No, five seven or five eight, depending which boots I'm wearing... "

  22. #22
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943

    Post imported post

    skidmark wrote:
    I had a conversation with one of the Richmond cops - with my .45 staring up at him all the while. Of all the topics that were discused, the presence of my pistol never came up.
    Doesn't your .45 know it's rude to stare???

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,601

    Post imported post

    Riana wrote:
    skidmark wrote:
    I had a conversation with one of the Richmond cops - with my .45 staring up at him all the while. Of all the topics that were discused, the presence of my pistol never came up.
    Doesn't your .45 know it's rude to stare???
    All of my .45s are very polite - but quite capable of speaking very rudely.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    kenny wrote:
    So factual information, the event Easter On Parade is not held on VCU property and is at least six blocks away from the Monroe Park Campus. The Event Staff is an Event Security firm used by the organizer of the Easter On Parade. Venture Richmond is the group that is responsible for putting on Easter On Parade, most of its funding comes from the City of Richmond and public sponsorships. VCU does not participate with either. Easter On Parade is held entirely on public property. I did notice that some of the guys walking around with yellow jackets that said RCM Events and some had VCU event staff on the back. I assumed (since I didnt see their backs) that the guys who stopped me were VCU, not RCM. I suppose that they could have been from either one.

    By the way, the wife & I were walking by those same three yellow jacketed guys and I told her watch this. It a louder than normal voice I said, did you see that guy with a Glock on his side. Ahhh! So you ratted me out! haha You should have stopped me and said hello!
    This is classic. Wish I had been there!
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

    --Robert A. Heinlein

    Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

  25. #25
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Just an update -

    I found out that the yellow jacketed employeesdo indeed belong to RMC Events, not VCU (I guess the "campus" comment threw me off).

    Anyway, I spoke to a supervisor named John at RMC and explained the situation. He said that their policy is that they should have immediately notified LE and let them make a decision as to whether I was breaking a law. He said it is not their policy to stop and confront a person with a gun and that it was incredibly dangerous for them to do so. He will look into the matter further and will speak to those involved for some re-training.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •