• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well, there's a first time for everything!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I took my family down to Easter on Parade today on Monument Ave. Walked around, ate food, did some shopping - all with my Glock OC'd on my side. Not a word was said............until.......

we were heading down Monument on our way back to our car. I heard "excuse me sir, excuse me". I turned around and stopped to see 3 yellow jacketed VCU event staff workers standing before me. One guy said "um, are you 5-0?". I looked at him with the intentionally dumb, inquisitive look that I perfected over the years and replied "no, why?"

The guy responds with "oh, well I guess you have a permit for..." and I stopped him in mid-sentence with "Dont need a permit to carry like this". I then started walking away. The yellow jacketed gentleman started walking sideways to continue the conversation and he said "well we just dont want to see any problems on campus". As I continued walking, I looked over at him and said "I'm not on campus, I'm on a public street".

As I walked away, I started walking near an older gentleman who looked over and said "We're they asking you about your pistol?". I said "yeah, they were" and he replied "Ain't nothing wrong with carrying it like that! Now dont go buy a beer in 7-11 and start drinking it on the way out the door. One day I did that and there was a Chesterfield policeman there and........blah, blah, blah"

I looked behind me to see one yellow jacket still walking behind us. The lead guy that had asked me the questions ran to 3 RPD officers standing on the side of the street. As we walked by, the yellow jacket said something to the 3 officers and pointed to me. They barely even glanced my way. Guess they told him to cool his jets and learn the law before he bothers another law abiding citizen!

W.E.G.

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
walking away. The yellow jacketed gentleman started walking sideways to continue the conversation...
Sounds like you just got "bladed" by...

burtreynoldsrentacop.jpg

doug23838

imported post

Pagan wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
If it was me I would have told them "No, I'm 4-8 and will be 4-9 next September"and kept walking.
Thats some funny stuff there, I'm gonna have to use that,:D

Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are, that's funny! .

buster81

imported post

I would have been forced to ask them what 50 was and then made them explain where it came from. I usually just walk away without answering, but in this case, why not make them speak english.

richarcm

imported post

I would have gotten to the cops before they could and asked the cops nicely to tell the staff to stop harassing you.

ProShooter

imported post

buster81 wrote:
I would have been forced to ask them what 50 was and then made them explain where it came from. I usually just walk away without answering, but in this case, why not make them speak english.
I generally try not to be rude and honestly, I was just enjoying the day with my family and some out of town guests. I wasn't interested in holding class right there and explaining the finer points of the law to Mr. Event Staff. I did love giving him that dumb, deer in the headlights look when he asked if I was 5-0. For 12 years, I spent so much effort trying not to look like 5-0 when I was one. Now, I can screw with folks trying to scare me with their yellow windbreakers. :)

buster81

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
buster81 wrote:
I generally try not to be rude and honestly, I was just enjoying the day with my family and some out of town guests. I wasn't interested in holding class right there and explaining the finer points of the law to Mr. Event Staff. I did love giving him that dumb, deer in the headlights look when he asked if I was 5-0. For 12 years, I spent so much effort trying not to look like 5-0 when I was one. Now, I can screw with folks trying to scare me with their yellow windbreakers. :)

I'm not saying you need to be rude. What is 50 anyway? Is that code for something?

I often have people explain their questions while I keep walking. It's actually kind of amusing, but I alwasys do it with a smile.

RedKnightt

imported post

buster81 wrote:
I'm not saying you need to be rude. What is 50 anyway? Is that code for something?

I often have people explain their questions while I keep walking. It's actually kind of amusing, but I alwasys do it with a smile.
5-0 is slang for a police officer. It dates back to the TV series Hawaii Five-0, a cop show set in Hawaii starring Jack Lord. It's also where the phrase "Book 'em Danno!" comes from.

http://www.mjq.net/fiveo/

The series is set for remake this year on CBS.

nova

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Now dont go buy a beer in 7-11 and start drinking it on the way out the door. One day I did that and there was a Chesterfield policeman there and........
:lol::lol:

kenny

imported post

So factual information, the event Easter On Parade is not held on VCU property and is at least six blocks away from the Monroe Park Campus. The Event Staff is an Event Security firm used by the organizer of the Easter On Parade. Venture Richmond is the group that is responsible for putting on Easter On Parade, most of its funding comes from the City of Richmond and public sponsorships. VCU does not participate with either. Easter On Parade is held entirely on public property.

You will see those yellow jacketed security people at just about any public event in Richmond or Charolettesville.

By the way, the wife & I were walking by those same three yellow jacketed guys and I told her watch this. It a louder than normal voice I said, did you see that guy with a Glock on his side.

Well, Now you know the rest of the story.

For those of you never who have never attended Easter on Parade, it is every Easter from 1 till 6 in the afternoon on beautiful Monument Avenue between N. Davis & N. Allen Sts. It is not a real parade rather than watching all the people in there Sunday best or worst walk around. Parking is tough and you might have to walk a block or two. Broad Street around DMV is the best place to start looking.

ChinChin

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
One guy said "um, are you 5-0?". I looked at him with the intentionally dumb, inquisitive look that I perfected over the years and replied "no, why?"

Wasn't it Grapeshot who got asked this one time; and responded with "Are you intentionaly trying to blow my cover?, are you trying to get me killed? GO...AWAY ...NOW" and it worked.

May have been Bobcav. . .I forget.

ProShooter

imported post

kenny wrote:
So factual information, the event Easter On Parade is not held on VCU property and is at least six blocks away from the Monroe Park Campus. The Event Staff is an Event Security firm used by the organizer of the Easter On Parade. Venture Richmond is the group that is responsible for putting on Easter On Parade, most of its funding comes from the City of Richmond and public sponsorships. VCU does not participate with either. Easter On Parade is held entirely on public property. I did notice that some of the guys walking around with yellow jackets that said RCM Events and some had VCU event staff on the back. I assumed (since I didnt see their backs) that the guys who stopped me were VCU, not RCM. I suppose that they could have been from either one.
By the way, the wife & I were walking by those same three yellow jacketed guys and I told her watch this. It a louder than normal voice I said, did you see that guy with a Glock on his side. Ahhh! So you ratted me out! haha :) You should have stopped me and said hello!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
One guy said "um, are you 5-0?". I looked at him with the intentionally dumb, inquisitive look that I perfected over the years and replied "no, why?"

Wasn't it Grapeshot who got asked this one time; and responded with "Are you intentionaly trying to blow my cover?, are you trying to get me killed? GO...AWAY ...NOW" and it worked.

Wasn't me - I have no cover - I'm "Unforgetable." :D

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ChinChin wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Wasn't me - I have no cover - I'm "Unforgetable." :D

Yata hey
Grapeshot occassionally seeks concealment, but is too thin to provide effective cover. And "unforgetable" is possily the understatement of the 21st Century.

On the other hand, as the show was winding down and the hired help was putting away some of the folding barriers I had a conversation with one of the Richmond cops - with my .45 staring up at him all the while. Of all the topics that were discused, the presence of my pistol never came up.

stay safe.

skidmark