• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well, there's a first time for everything!

zoom6zoom

imported post

ed wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
If it was me I would have told them "No, I'm 4-8 and will be 4-9 next September"and kept walking.
You would have to be 4-5 or 4-6 ot older to even remember Hawaii 5-0 to know what five - OH even meant!
It was actually still on in first run prime time until 1980. Longest running cop show until the Law & Order stuff passed it. I'm actually working through the first season right now.

"Five-O? No, five seven or five eight, depending which boots I'm wearing... "

Riana

imported post

skidmark wrote:
I had a conversation with one of the Richmond cops - with my .45 staring up at him all the while. Of all the topics that were discused, the presence of my pistol never came up.
Doesn't your .45 know it's rude to stare???

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Riana wrote:
skidmark wrote:
I had a conversation with one of the Richmond cops - with my .45 staring up at him all the while. Of all the topics that were discused, the presence of my pistol never came up.
Doesn't your .45 know it's rude to stare???
All of my .45s are very polite - but quite capable of speaking very rudely. :)

Yata hey

riverrat10k

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
kenny wrote:
So factual information, the event Easter On Parade is not held on VCU property and is at least six blocks away from the Monroe Park Campus. The Event Staff is an Event Security firm used by the organizer of the Easter On Parade. Venture Richmond is the group that is responsible for putting on Easter On Parade, most of its funding comes from the City of Richmond and public sponsorships. VCU does not participate with either. Easter On Parade is held entirely on public property. I did notice that some of the guys walking around with yellow jackets that said RCM Events and some had VCU event staff on the back. I assumed (since I didnt see their backs) that the guys who stopped me were VCU, not RCM. I suppose that they could have been from either one.
By the way, the wife & I were walking by those same three yellow jacketed guys and I told her watch this. It a louder than normal voice I said, did you see that guy with a Glock on his side. Ahhh! So you ratted me out! haha :) You should have stopped me and said hello!
This is classic. Wish I had been there!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Just an update -

I found out that the yellow jacketed employeesdo indeed belong to RMC Events, not VCU (I guess the "campus" comment threw me off).

Anyway, I spoke to a supervisor named John at RMC and explained the situation. He said that their policy is that they should have immediately notified LE and let them make a decision as to whether I was breaking a law. He said it is not their policy to stop and confront a person with a gun and that it was incredibly dangerous for them to do so. He will look into the matter further and will speak to those involved for some re-training.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
snip.....
He said it is not their policy to stop and confront a person with a gun and that it was incredibly dangerous for them to do so. He will look into the matter further and will speak to those involved for some re-training.
No it is "incredibly dangerous" to do so only if they see the gun. They apparently are perfectly safe if the cannot see it. How can this make sense to anybody? :uhoh:

Yata hey

ProShooter

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
snip.....
He said it is not their policy to stop and confront a person with a gun and that it was incredibly dangerous for them to do so. He will look into the matter further and will speak to those involved for some re-training.
No it is "incredibly dangerous" to do so only if they see the gun. They apparently are perfectly safe if the cannot see it. How can this make sense to anybody? :uhoh:

Yata hey

I guess he meant that it was just flat out dumb (in his opinion)for his unarmed, untrained people to walk up to someone with a gun and try to detain/interrogate them.

Either way, some people are going to get the re-training that they need.

jegoodin

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

I guess he meant that it was just flat out dumb (in his opinion)for his unarmed, untrained people to walk up to someone with a gun and try to detain/interrogate them.

Let's face it, either way it is "flat out dumb".

If you are a good guy with a gun, then why bother.

If you area bad guy with a gun, then why risk it.

Either way, seems dumb to me.

TFred

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
snip.....

Yata hey

IMHO, what this really means is that even the "dumb people", despite the anti-gun rhetoric that is constantly shoved down their throats to the contrary, still do not really feel threatened by ordinary citizens carrying firearms.

This is where the "real world rubber" meets the road. If the anti-gun rhetoric were true, or even if anybody actually believed it: that all citizens with a gun were likely to be criminals, do you really think these amateur, untrained folks would have confronted you?

As is always the case, the facts of the real world simply do not correlate to the fantasy land delusions of the anti-gunners.

In like fashion, I always have a quiet chuckle when I read about whiny anti-gunners who confront open carriers in the local grocery-mart, etc. about their open carry. Same thing, in every single one of those cases, if the carrier were really throwing off a "criminal vibe" only a fool would walk up and confront them about it, especially in the nasty confrontational manner that we hear in some reports. Their actions betray their words.

TFred

TexasNative

imported post

That ties right back into the bit about, "If it were dangerous for me to be here carrying my gun, wouldn't it be extremely stupid for you to confront me about it? On the other hand, since no law-abiding person here is in danger from me, you feel safe to puff out your chest and try to flout your supposed authority. Stop harassing me, you imperious twit."

Oh wait, that's my dream scenario playing out in my mind. I would hope I could pull it off if the time ever comes for that response.

Neplusultra

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
snip.....

Yata hey
Ha! Grapeshot, quit being so rational, it's about "feelings" :^).

Neplusultra

imported post

TFred wrote:
IMHO, what this really means is that even the "dumb people", despite the anti-gun rhetoric that is constantly shoved down their throats to the contrary, still do not really feel threatened by ordinary citizens carrying firearms.

This is where the "real world rubber" meets the road. If the anti-gun rhetoric were true, or even if anybody actually believed it: that all citizens with a gun were likely to be criminals, do you really think these amateur, untrained folks would have confronted you?

As is always the case, the facts of the real world simply do not correlate to the fantasy land delusions of the anti-gunners.

In like fashion, I always have a quiet chuckle when I read about whiny anti-gunners who confront open carriers in the local grocery-mart, etc. about their open carry. Same thing, in every single one of those cases, if the carrier were really throwing off a "criminal vibe" only a fool would walk up and confront them about it, especially in the nasty confrontational manner that we hear in some reports. Their actions betray their words.

TFred
+1 TFred

ProShooter

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Can I ask (what I consider) a dumb question?

Where do these people get off thinking they can stop and question someone who is carrying legally? Who do they think they are. What am I missing in this?

They are employed as security for the event. They are really supposed to just "observe and report" and not take action. It was dumb of them to do what they did. I stopped because any question could be a chance for educating the public, or for me a possible customer for my classes. When he started with the 5-0 stuff, I knew he wasnt asking me for a business card, so I proceeded on. If I was a crazy man with a gun, he wouldnt have stood a chance.

I need to get me one of the yellow "empowerment" windbreakers that they were wearing. I always wanted to be Superman!

Neplusultra

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
That ties right back into the bit about, "If it were dangerous for me to be here carrying my gun, wouldn't it be extremely stupid for you to confront me about it? On the other hand, since no law-abiding person here is in danger from me, you feel safe to puff out your chest and try to flout your supposed authority. Stop harassing me, you imperious twit."

Oh wait, that's my dream scenario playing out in my mind. I would hope I could pull it off if the time ever comes for that response.
Ha! Yeah, I've come up with some really great come backs.... after the fact :^). I tend to think it's not that they are afraid of you, otherwise why would they approach you, but that they just plain don't like you carrying a gun. I suppose the reason is that it reminds them that the world is not always a nice place and that they are vulnerable to these unniceties. That, unsettles them. Kind of like the woman who doesn't want to recognize that her boyfriend is cheating on her. It confronts and contradicts their denial that evil exists.

ProShooter

imported post

I just got another call from the Deputy Director of Venture Richmond, the organization that hired RMC Events. He apparently is very pro-2A and laughed at how dumb they were to question me. He apologized profusely and said that he would be bringing this up in the after action meeting on the festival.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I just got another call from the Deputy Director of Venture Richmond, the organization that hired RMC Events. He apparently is very pro-2A and laughed at how dumb they were to question me. He apologized profusely and said that he would be bringing this up in the after action meeting on the festival.
Invite him to one of our dinners !

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Can I ask (what I consider) a dumb question?

Where do these people get off thinking they can stop and question someone who is carrying legally? Who do they think they are. What am I missing in this?

They are employed as security for the event. They are really supposed to just "observe and report" and not take action. It was dumb of them to do what they did. I stopped because any question could be a chance for educating the public, or for me a possible customer for my classes. When he started with the 5-0 stuff, I knew he wasnt asking me for a business card, so I proceeded on. If I was a crazy man with a gun, he wouldnt have stood a chance.

I need to get me one of the yellow "empowerment" windbreakers that they were wearing. I always wanted to be Superman!
Now that's funny.

buster81

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
buster81 wrote:
I'm not saying you need to be rude. What is 50 anyway? Is that code for something?

I often have people explain their questions while I keep walking. It's actually kind of amusing, but I alwasys do it with a smile.
5-0 is slang for a police officer. It dates back to the TV series Hawaii Five-0, a cop show set in Hawaii starring Jack Lord. It's also where the phrase "Book 'em Danno!" comes from.

http://www.mjq.net/fiveo/

The series is set for remake this year on CBS.
Yes, but do you know why the show was called Hawaii 50? And wouldn't itbe fun to listen to they youngster in the yellow jacket explain this while you kept walking?