Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I OPEN CARRY

Post imported post

I AM RETIRED MILITARY, I HAVE BOTH A FEDERAL AND STATE PERMIT TO CARRY, MOST OF THE TIME I CARRY IN THE OPEN AND GET VERRY LITTLE HASELL, I BELIEVE THE LAW SHOULD CERTILY BE MORE DIRECT ON THE SUBJECT, IHOWEVER BELIEVE MY PERMIT IS TO CARRY, AND DOES NOT REQUIRE ME TO CONCEAL

Post imported post

If you aren't an LEO covered under LEOSA, then I have no idea what sort of federal permit is available. Can you give more information please, as your first post makes no sense.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

There is no such thing as a Federal Carry Permit, or a Federal Permit to Carry.

Not that I don't wish there were.....I'm just sayin.

Post imported post

SP101 wrote:
    There is no such thing as a Federal Carry Permit, or a Federal Permit to Carry.

Not that I don't wish there were.....I'm just sayin.
    The man speaks the truth:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a2

"(A2) Does the Federal Government issue a license or permit to carry a concealed weapon?

No. Neither ATF nor any other Federal agency issues such a permit or license. Carrying permits may be issued by a State or local government."

Post imported post

Does anyone actually believe this guy?

There is no such thing as an "open carry permit" in New York first of all, and no such thing as federal permit, ever.

I think this is a fake person posting things on the board to cause issues. All caps, spelling errors?

Post imported post

Troll ............

Post imported post

I have a NYS concealed carry permit and if you open carry around here, you'll be locked up quick and I live in rural upstate. This wafts.

Post imported post

In certain very rural counties of NY the licensee may CC or OC.This info isdirect from the issuing office.

I have OC'd on the trail quite often. I usually hook my hat over the gun when I come out to the car, however.

I have heard rumor of a federal permit to carry, apparently it is an addendum to a state permit that allows business owners to carry to several neighboring states to conduct their business (such as transporting high value items) without the need for permits within the other states. I don't know 100% sure that I was not being BS'd however.

Post imported post

If local law enforcement choose to ignore the law and let you carry open, that's on them but section 2 of NYS Penal Law 400.00 quite clearly makes no provision for an "open carry" license. A NYS pistol permit is only classified as a type of concealed carry - with or without restrictions. Retired LEO's of course have their own provisions for carry under the law.

Post imported post

OK, THERE IS NO FEDERAL PERMIT TO CARRY issued by the federal government whatsoever, at all. It's not just a rumor, it a thing people make up to sound "cool". The only "federal permit" to carry is a federal law enforcement credential, or being a police officer / retired police officer by law.

No state can make their permit accepted in a different state, but as most CCW licensees know, they are valid in other states that honor that states.

Post imported post

OK...so then how does the Secret Service,FBI,U.S. Marshalls etc. etc. operate inside the U.S. ?

Post imported post

Uh did you read what I wrote?

"The only "federal permit" to carry is a federal law enforcement credential, or being a police officer / retired police officer by law. "

Post imported post

northstar65 wrote:
    OK...so then how does the Secret Service,FBI,U.S. Marshalls etc. etc. operate inside the U.S. ?
    Federal LE credentials are sufficient. A valid federal LE ID is, effectively, a "permit".

Post imported post

Wouldn't a diplomatic passport be a 'federal permit' to break the law any way you want?

Post imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
    Wouldn't a diplomatic passport be a 'federal permit' to break the law any way you want?

In practice, yeah maybe, but that's not an official permit.

Post imported post

If I recall correctly, certain federal employees who may have their lives threatened may become a Special Deputy US Marshal. This permit will allow you to carry anywhere. Usually it's US Attorneys. Also, local, state LEO's who are assigned to task forces get this title.
    I'm originally from upstate New York and can not believe the BS that goes on in that state from one county to another regarding 2nd amendment rights. My uncle owned a tavern-restaurant in Fulton County and I swear I remember hunters coming in with revolvers being open carried. Long time ago though.

Post imported post

"Hunting" is a totally separate topic. You can "open carry" while hunting but that is not the same as having an open carry license. Again, we are talking small towns where local law enforcement may choose to ignore. For law enforcement purposes though, a general carry permit in NYS is a concealed permit with or without restrictions applied.

Post imported post

No, there is no such thing in New York as an "Open Carry License." Period.

What is acceptable in one county may get you arrested on the spot in another county.

Licenses in New York are subject to the variations in restrictions and enforcement from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

It's a very difficult place to navigate successfully and you have to know both the law and the culture from place to place.

Post imported post

I think it should be obvious by now that this thread was begun by a troll who knows nothing about nothing...

Post imported post

I think it should be obvious by now that this thread was begun by a troll who knows nothing about nothing...

Post imported post

oldsoldier96 wrote:
    My "federal permit" is covered as a retired federal agent and was issued by the DOD.

it should grant me the right to carry carry county wide, but as many law enforcement agencies are not farmiliar with this type of permit I have had to go to court on several occasions to get my weapon back. so i got a nys permit as i live in nys it has made the process of dealing with nys police agencies easier.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...412212#p412212

Post imported post

Oops double post.

Post imported post

DT4E31 wrote:
    I DONT THINK YOU SHOULD HASSEL HIM LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!

Post imported post

I live in Broome County. When issued my permit, it has a restriction for hunting/target practice only on it. When I received my permit I recieved a letter along with it from the Broome County sheriff's office explaining that when on my way to or from hunting or target shooting was the only time I could carry my handgun. It also specifically said that when carrying I MUST carry the gun openly, and am prohibited from concealing. I have gone to diners and into stores before with my .44 mag or .357 exposed on my hip. If this is in violation of NY state law I would be very surprised.

Post imported post

You are misinterpreting local law enforcement's choice to enforce or not. You have a restricted permit. Under NYS DEC regulations - you must have your hunting firearm visable - i.e. not concealed. This, by the way, only applys to you being in the woods - not in your car. You are not licensed to have a loaded weapon in your car because you are restricted. As for going into diners etc., you are in violation of NYS penal law 400.00 but if the rural police don't care - oh well. I would suggest you not try it in another county or hope the DEC or state police don't stop you because they will cite you. What you need to do is petition the judge to remove your restrictions so you can carry concealed or in your vehicle.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast