• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I OPEN CARRY

oldsoldier96

imported post

I AM RETIRED MILITARY, I HAVE BOTH A FEDERAL AND STATE PERMIT TO CARRY, MOST OF THE TIME I CARRY IN THE OPEN AND GET VERRY LITTLE HASELL, I BELIEVE THE LAW SHOULD CERTILY BE MORE DIRECT ON THE SUBJECT, IHOWEVER BELIEVE MY PERMIT IS TO CARRY, AND DOES NOT REQUIRE ME TO CONCEAL

Hef

imported post

If you aren't an LEO covered under LEOSA, then I have no idea what sort of federal permit is available. Can you give more information please, as your first post makes no sense.

scuba_steve

imported post

SP101 wrote:
There is no such thing as a Federal Carry Permit, or a Federal Permit to Carry.

Not that I don't wish there were.....I'm just sayin. ;)

The man speaks the truth:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a2

"(A2) Does the Federal Government issue a license or permit to carry a concealed weapon?

No. Neither ATF nor any other Federal agency issues such a permit or license. Carrying permits may be issued by a State or local government."

Pace

imported post

Does anyone actually believe this guy?

There is no such thing as an "open carry permit" in New York first of all, and no such thing as federal permit, ever.

I think this is a fake person posting things on the board to cause issues. All caps, spelling errors?

redlegagent

imported post

I have a NYS concealed carry permit and if you open carry around here, you'll be locked up quick and I live in rural upstate. This wafts.

WheelGun

imported post

In certain very rural counties of NY the licensee may CC or OC.This info isdirect from the issuing office.

I have OC'd on the trail quite often. I usually hook my hat over the gun when I come out to the car, however.

I have heard rumor of a federal permit to carry, apparently it is an addendum to a state permit that allows business owners to carry to several neighboring states to conduct their business (such as transporting high value items) without the need for permits within the other states. I don't know 100% sure that I was not being BS'd however.

redlegagent

imported post

If local law enforcement choose to ignore the law and let you carry open, that's on them but section 2 of NYS Penal Law 400.00 quite clearly makes no provision for an "open carry" license. A NYS pistol permit is only classified as a type of concealed carry - with or without restrictions. Retired LEO's of course have their own provisions for carry under the law. ;)

Pace

imported post

OK, THERE IS NO FEDERAL PERMIT TO CARRY issued by the federal government whatsoever, at all. It's not just a rumor, it a thing people make up to sound "cool". The only "federal permit" to carry is a federal law enforcement credential, or being a police officer / retired police officer by law.

No state can make their permit accepted in a different state, but as most CCW licensees know, they are valid in other states that honor that states.

northstar65

imported post

OK...so then how does the Secret Service,FBI,U.S. Marshalls etc. etc. operate inside the U.S. ?

Pace

imported post

Uh did you read what I wrote?

"The only "federal permit" to carry is a federal law enforcement credential, or being a police officer / retired police officer by law. "

Mr.arker

imported post

If I recall correctly, certain federal employees who may have their lives threatened may become a Special Deputy US Marshal. This permit will allow you to carry anywhere. Usually it's US Attorneys. Also, local, state LEO's who are assigned to task forces get this title.
I'm originally from upstate New York and can not believe the BS that goes on in that state from one county to another regarding 2nd amendment rights. My uncle owned a tavern-restaurant in Fulton County and I swear I remember hunters coming in with revolvers being open carried. Long time ago though.

redlegagent

imported post

"Hunting" is a totally separate topic. You can "open carry" while hunting but that is not the same as having an open carry license. Again, we are talking small towns where local law enforcement may choose to ignore. For law enforcement purposes though, a general carry permit in NYS is a concealed permit with or without restrictions applied. ;)

WheelGun

imported post

No, there is no such thing in New York as an "Open Carry License." Period.

What is acceptable in one county may get you arrested on the spot in another county.

Licenses in New York are subject to the variations in restrictions and enforcement from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

It's a very difficult place to navigate successfully and you have to know both the law and the culture from place to place.

DT4E31

imported post

I think it should be obvious by now that this thread was begun by a troll who knows nothing about nothing...

DT4E31

imported post

I think it should be obvious by now that this thread was begun by a troll who knows nothing about nothing...