• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-licensed car carry

Peacemaker

imported post

I have upcoming business in SC. Since the State does not recognize my Georgia GFL or Utah non-res, I know I am limited to keeping a pistol in my car or carrying it into a rented room.

I have reviewed the following information:

However, what is not clear to me is what places are off-limits to the firearm in my car? For example, in Georgia case law dictates that having a firearm in the parking lot of an off-limits place is the same as having it in the prohibited place itself. Is this the case in SC? For example, is it legal to keep the pistol in the car while in a restaurant that serves alcohol?

Additionally, the Handgun Law summary indicates that one must notify the officer. However, I do not see that in the weapons law statutes. When must I notify? If I get pulled over and the firearm is in my trunk then do I have to say something? What about the 5th amendment here?

I appreciate the help. My goal is to be a responsible law abiding citizen without being forced to leave my pistol at home in Georgia.

hp-hobo

imported post

As long as your handgun is kept in a closed glove box or console, you can carry it loaded or unloaded pretty much wherever you go in SC. The exceptions to that are federal property (ie. military installations, etc), state or countyparking garagesor any school property. Your example of the parking lot of a restaurant that serves alcohol is a non-player.

The only time you must notify is if a LEO requests identification and you're carrying pursuant to a CWP. Carrying as you will be, in your vehicle only, you are not required to notify. That being said, if your gunis sitting on top of your registration when a cop pulls you over and wants to see your paperwork, it might be a good idea to mention it. My recommendation is to keep your papers and gun in different locations and say nothing. The less said the better.

hp-hobo

imported post

Good question. I guess it comes down to observation and common sense. I live way out in the sticks, so the only parking garage I've used since moving to South Carolina 11 years ago is the one at Columbia Metro Airport.

PT111

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Good question. I guess it comes down to observation and common sense. I live way out in the sticks, so the only parking garage I've used since moving to South Carolina 11 years ago is the one at Columbia Metro Airport.
I have never heard of this about Parking Garages. Can you elaborate on where that comes from? The only place I know of is schools and that does not include areas of colleges such as roads or parking lots that are open 24 hours a day.

hp-hobo

imported post

PT111 wrote:
I have never heard of this about Parking Garages. Can you elaborate on where that comes from? The only place I know of is schools and that does not include areas of colleges such as roads or parking lots that are open 24 hours a day.

"SECTION 16-23-420. Carrying or displaying firearms in public buildings or areas adjacent thereto.
(A) It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm of any kind on any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post-secondary institution, or in any publicly-owned building, without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property. "

My understanding is that a parking garage comes under the heading of building because it's a... Building. If it's just a parking lot then this doesn't apply.

Robert Butler

imported post

PT111 wrote:
The only place I know of is schools and that does not include areas of colleges such as roads or parking lots that are open 24 hours a day.
Section 16-23-420(E) states:
"For purposes of this section, the terms "premises" and "property" do not include state or locally owned or maintained roads, streets, or rights-of-way of them, running through or adjacent to premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, or other post-secondary institution, which are open full time to public vehicular traffic."

The statutory language does not support allowing guns in vehicles in parking lots on college campuses. It only allows guns in vehicles if the vehicle is on the road or right of way of the road. Some rights of way include on street parking, but I have never seen a street right of way include a parking lot.

Please, stay out of trouble. :)

Rob