• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats the closes you came to using your weapon for self defense?

cajunpapapump

imported post

Well I had an event happen last week in Lafayette that really put me to the test. I was leaving my Woodgroup office during rush hour of course. I was trying to get onto Ambassoder blvd. and no one would let me out so I shot out due to a guy I thought was telling me to go waving his hands up, never came close to hitting him in my 3000GT. He started honking and shot over and came up next to me shouting out and cursing me to the lowest what the F was I doing I tried to explain my wife and little daughter was in the car. This went on so I gave a little back told him it wasn't my fault he was such a dick that wouldn't let someone out. and he came over close to my car so I unhoilstered my XD40 due to I didn't know what his intentions were and was worried for my wife and daughters safety and that he might have a gun also. Well red light got us and he wouldn't shut up and he eased he car next to mine I told him he just doesn't have a clue what will happen if he doesn't stop his assult. He looked at me and I could see he finally got it that something bad was about to happen. I pulled into a parking lot at the mall and got out with my pistol holsitered and waited to see if he turned with me but he shot the bird and took off. Well I also learned something of how much dispiline it takes to carry and boy was my adredline pumping. Well enough about mine anybody else have any stories??

99vengeur

imported post

Unfortunately, the morning that I had a close encounter, I was unarmed because I was heading to work, a "No firearm zone."

Anyway, my wife was driving and we were at a stop light. A woman and her 2 daughters pulled up behind us. Then we heard screeching and felt our car get hit from behind. A man rear-ended the car behind us and pushed it into our car. As I was walking around the cars, getting plate numbers and vehicle information, the man that caused the accident started to back up. Fearing that he would run before police could arrive, I told him to just pull his car over to the side of the road and wait. He continued to back up and I knew it wasn't going to be good. He put his car into drive and floored it toward me, nearly running me over and causing abrasions to my right hand as he passed between myself and the stopped cars, running a red light and almost causing a second accident.

Turns out he had stolen the car just 2 hours prior to causing the accident. Like I said, I was unarmed, but wish I would have been. There's no telling how it could have turned out, I'm just glad that noone was seriously injured.

jcapture1500

imported post

So you are telling me you would have pulled your gun on thisman instead of just letting him drive off? You should not have stepped in front of his car.

I understand you were probably very aggitated, but it's not your job to stop the criminal. I think in this case, I would have just let him drive off.

Your life was not in danger because of the hit and run driver until you stepped in front of his vehilcle.... which was unnecessary.

...just my opinion

EDIT- ok I just re-read ... you didn't step in front of him, he drove towards you.

my bad. But I still don't know if it would have been a situation where I needed topull my gun on him.

99vengeur

imported post

Correct, I did not step in front of his vehicle. I was surveying the damage to my vehicle and the one he hit first.

Now I want to clarify something. I'm not saying that I wanted to have been armed so I could have pulled on him. I felt vulnerable not having my gun, had things been different. We found out from the on-scene officer that he had stolen the car just 2 hours earlier. It was unknown to us whether he was armed at the time of the accident, so instead of driving off, he could have harmed any one of us (if he were in fact armed). So what I am saying, is that being unarmed, I was not prepared for any other possible outcome, other than him fleeing the scene. Not a feeling I enjoyed!

I hope that is clear.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One night, I was suddenly awakened by my dog's alarm bark - not her usual one, but the one that says there's someone or something dangerous in the yard. I looked out the window, but I couldn't see anything. I grabbed my gun and my flashlight and went downstairs to look through the window in my back door.

Still couldn't see anything, but the dog's bark was getting even more intense, and I could see she was looking at something in the shadows in the far corner of the yard.

I opened the door quickly, ran out, and shined the flashlight into the shadows as I brought up my gun and saw this:

opossum.jpg

I laughed myself silly, put the gun away, and got a boat oar to nudge the thing until it quit "playing possum" and dropped back behind the fence.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

cajunpapapump wrote:
Well I had an event happen last week in Lafayette that really put me to the test. I was leaving my Woodgroup office during rush hour of course. I was trying to get onto Ambassoder blvd. and no one would let me out so I shot out due to a guy I thought was telling me to go waving his hands up, never came close to hitting him in my 3000GT. He started honking and shot over and came up next to me shouting out and cursing me to the lowest what the F was I doing I tried to explain my wife and little daughter was in the car. This went on so I gave a little back told him it wasn't my fault he was such a dick that wouldn't let someone out. and he came over close to my car so I unhoilstered my XD40 due to I didn't know what his intentions were and was worried for my wife and daughters safety and that he might have a gun also. Well red light got us and he wouldn't shut up and he eased he car next to mine I told him he just doesn't have a clue what will happen if he doesn't stop his assult. He looked at me and I could see he finally got it that something bad was about to happen. I pulled into a parking lot at the mall and got out with my pistol holsitered and waited to see if he turned with me but he shot the bird and took off. Well I also learned something of how much dispiline it takes to carry and boy was my adredline pumping. Well enough about mine anybody else have any stories??
From what you've explained it sounds like you handled it badly. Very badly.

Lord only knows what you left out, too. One sided storiesare almost always, um, incomplete.

Mississippian

imported post

From what you've explained it sounds like you handled it badly. Very badly.
I would have to agree...Unfortunately. This was a clear case of roadrage by both parties.

I drive on average 100,000 miles a year and get my fair share of ticked off motorists, commuters, drivers, whatever. When someones roadrage is aimed at me, I make for absolutely sure it is one sided, I don't do anything to escalate it.

BTW, I know I am preaching to the choir here (mostly), but be careful roadraging around 18wheelers...Mine (and many others)has a dashcamthat records continuously.;)

tntorqu

imported post

one thing when you OC and CC you always have to deesculate the situation if he ran after you and started beating you in the face thats when you pull i you weapon.

OpenCarryDefense

imported post

Just to say a few words about "Aggressive" drivers and encounters.
My cousin in Arkansas is open carry as well as ole Marine as myself. He was pulling into a parking spot at Wal-Mart and another vehicle attempted the same spot. Of course my cousin was already parked but the other fellow of another RACE decided to get out with his pistol and shot my cousin in the leg. Of course my cousin just did what he had to do before a second round exited the other guys gun, he slammed him to the ground, extracted the firearm from the guys hand and sat on his chest till police arrived and ambulance arrived.

The other guy was charged with the gun violation and shooting my cousin but my cousin ended up being sued by the guy for his broken wrist and slightly hurt back when he was thrown to the ground by my cousin!

Shame such can occur when you defending yourself. Cousin would have been better off pulling his own weapon and double tap onto the extreme man with rage. Its better to double tap and eliminate an aggressor than to injury them only!
I don't ever plan on pulling unless I have to pull the trigger and then it will be a double tap.
Sorry, if that sounds too strong here in this nice forum but, life is life and if I ever have need to use my side arm I will not hesitate to center of mass and one head shot to end the danger I face.
We carry to defend not to be sued or play games with criminals or insane people who go over the edge in life.

georg jetson

imported post

Threads like this are an excellent way for us to learn what to do and what not to do.

What to do... READ the LAW!! What does it say to do??

[align=justify]§19. Use of force or violence in defense[/align] [align=justify]A. The use of force or violence upon the person of another is justifiable when committed for the purpose of preventing a forcible offense against the person or a forcible offense or trespass against property in a person's lawful possession, provided that the force or violence used must be reasonable and apparently necessary to prevent such offense, and that this Section shall not apply where the force or violence results in a homicide.[/align] [align=justify]B. For the purposes of this Section, there shall be a presumption that a person lawfully inside a dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle held a reasonable belief that the use of force or violence was necessary to prevent unlawful entry thereto, or to compel an unlawful intruder to leave the premises or motor vehicle, if both of the following occur:[/align] [align=justify](1) The person against whom the force or violence was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering or had unlawfully and forcibly entered the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle.[/align] [align=justify](2) The person who used force or violence knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry was occurring or had occurred.[/align] [align=justify]C. A person who is not engaged in unlawful activity and who is in a place where he or she has a right to be shall have no duty to retreat before using force or violence as provided for in this Section and may stand his or her ground and meet force with force.[/align] [align=justify]D. No finder of fact shall be permitted to consider the possibility of retreat as a factor in determining whether or not the person who used force or violence in defense of his person or property had a reasonable belief that force or violence was reasonable and apparently necessary to prevent a forcible offense or to prevent the unlawful entry.[/align] [align=justify]Acts 2006, No. 141, §1.[/align]
ALSO... read http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78338 for the definition of justifiable homicide.

If there is a reasonable amount of evidence that you were not justified in your actions, then you will be paying for a trial with time and money.

It would benefit us to do some research on such cases involving force or violence where the defence has used Article 14 sections 19 through 22 as justification.

What not to do... put you or your family in danger simply because you have a side arm. If someone is shouting at you then roll up your window, turn up the music and drive away!! If they pursue then call 911. MOST of ALL, if you have to show your firearm becasue of a traffic altercation, then you better damn well report it. All the other driver has to do is tell the police that you pulled a gun on them(people lie sometimes) and you WILL become a defendent.

People, its one thing to exercise your right to bear arms. The laws are relatively simple. It's quite another thing when you actually HAVE to use your "arm". From what I can tell, quite a few people on the La. portion of this site don't know what they're doing and had better get off their duff and do some research BEFORE they have to ask to use the JAILHOUSE library!!