• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

*NEW THREAD* Harrassed at Walmart by security...

jp49911

imported post

Sorry for the bad video upload last time :?...and all the misspellings in the title :lol:
[quicktime=320,256]http://www.facebook.com/v/1045670836979[/quicktime]

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Haha, you are an intriguing character James. Sorry to hear about your troubles at Wal-Mart.

I recently had some troubles at my local Wal-Mart in Mebane, NC, not with OC'ing though.

To make a long story SHORT:
Basically the night manager refused to sell me handgun ammo at around 11:30pm. At first he told me it was because the Sporting Goods guy had left at 10pm. I told him that was fine, and that he could just walk over to the sporting goods section with me and use his keys and then walk me and the ammo back up to the open registers. THEN his story changed to "Wal-Mart has a policy of no ammo sales from 10pm to 7am" (the hours that the Sporting Goods dept is closed). I told him that this was incorrect, and he remained very persistent with his new stance. (Oh btw a friend of mine had been turned down by Kevin just a couple of weeks earlier, but he just "gave up" and never questioned it)

So I left, without any ammo. (Oh btw I was OC'ing this entire time, as I ALWAYS do every time I go into Wal-Mart.)

The next day, I called Corporate Wal-Mart in Bentonville, Arkansas. I explained to the nice lady what happened and she confirmed that there is NO POLICY against ammo sales at any time of day or night or holiday or whenever, and admitted that during "afterhours" a manager or some other supervisor with keys would have to take a moment to go out of their way to open up the ammo and walk it back up to the register. She said they would be contacting the store manager (the top dawg), Matt Adams. I decided to go ahead and do the same thing, just to give him my version. Mr. Adams was very polite and he apologized for having a mistrained night staff, and vowed to make certain this was corrected.

Two nights later, I stopped at Wal-Mart around the same time after work (11:30-ish), and asked the greeter to radio Kevin (the night manager) because I needed him to get me some 9mm ammo. She had witnessed the entire "scene" two nights earlier when he denied me for ammo. A couple of minutes later, Kevin showed up and I once again repeated that I was there to get a box of ammo (which btw I did NOT actually need anymore because I had ended up going to my local gun shop the day before and buying some). He walked me to the sporting goods section and back and I tried my best not to crack a big grin the entire time we were walking. We never once discussed Wal-Mart's "new" store policy during that time.

The little greeter lady at the front had a look of shock on her face as I walked out of the store with my 50 round box of ammo and 9mm compact bulging off of my hip.

:D

Brandon

jp49911

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
Haha, you are an intriuging character James. Sorry to hear about your troubles at Wal-Mart.

I recently had some troubles at my local Wal-Mart in Mebane, NC, not with OC'ing though.

To make a long story SHORT:
Basically the night manager refused to sell me handgun ammo at around 11:30pm. At first he told me it was because the Sporting Goods guy had left at 10pm. I told him that was fine, and that he could just walk over to the sporting goods section with me and use his keys and then walk me and the ammo back up to the open registers. THEN his story changed to "Wal-Mart has a policy of no ammo sales from 10pm to 7am" (the hours that the Sporting Goods dept is closed). I told him that this was incorrect, and he remained very persistent with his new stance. (Oh btw a friend of mine had been turned down by Kevin just a couple of weeks earlier, but he just "gave up" and never questioned it)

So I left, without any ammo. (Oh btw I was OC'ing this entire time, as I ALWAYS do every time I go into Wal-Mart.)

The next day, I called Corporate Wal-Mart in Bentonville, Arkansas. I explained to the nice lady what happened and she confirmed that there is NO POLICY against ammo sales at any time of day or night or holiday or whenever, and admitted that during "afterhours" a manager or some other supervisor with keys would have to take a moment to go out of their way to open up the ammo and walk it back up to the register. She said they would be contacting the store manager (the top dawg), Matt Adams. I decided to go ahead and do the same thing, just to give him my version. Mr. Adams was very polite and he apologized for having a mistrained night staff, and vowed to make certain this was corrected.

Two nights later, I stopped at Wal-Mart around the same time after work (11:30-ish), and asked the greeter to radio Kevin (the night manager) because I needed him to get me some 9mm ammo. She had witnessed the entire "scene" two nights earlier when he denied me for ammo. A couple of minutes later, Kevin showed up and I once again repeated that I was there to get a box of ammo (which btw I did NOT actually need anymore because I had ended up going to my local gun shop the day before and buying some). He walked me to the sporting goods section and back and I tried my best not to crack a big grin the entire time we were walking. We never once discussed Wal-Mart's "new" store policy during that time.

The little greeter lady at the front had a look of shock on her face as I walked out of the store with my 50 round box of ammo and 9mm compact bulging off of my hip.

:D

Brandon
I don't see how you didn't crack a smile cause I was laughing just reading about it. And don't sweat the trouble I had to go through; it made for an interesting night and a good story. The whole time I was just thinking about posting this on opencarry.org lol.

BRobb19

imported post

Is there anyone else on here in Greensboro or nearby that goes to this Wal-Mart?

It would be great to have a couple more OC'er's do some shopping there, while making sure to greet the greeters with a big warm smile on the way in and on the way out. :)

I'll admit I'd have likely said something smart to the lady if she had told me I had to "surrender my weapon to customer service" to shop there. I'd have probably begged her to "please PLEASE just let me keep the other one that is strapped to my right ankle underneath my slacks, since it is just a small one."

lol

Landric

imported post

I have a friend who was recently thrown out of ChiComMart for open carrying. He was at the White Oak store in Garner. They picked the wrong person to mess with, he made a huge stink and eventually got an apology from the store manager and an assurance that he was welcome to shop at the store and open carry when he did so. I think that is where he decided to let it go.

I can't open carry due to my department's policy, but if I could, I'd very much like to do so (without my badge on my belt) and see if anything were to happen.

Good job James, keep exercising your rights!

Kivuli

imported post

As a matter of fact, yes. I live very close to this Walmart, even though I usually go to the one on Bridford Parkway out of habit.

BRobb19

imported post

i dont understand why you guys are having video issues.
could it be that your adobe platform is not up to date? that's the only thing i can suspect..
http://www.adobe.com/

also, James, if you have any more issues with this, i would contact corporate Wal-Mart in Bentonville, Arkansas. their number is 1-800-WAL-MART (what a shocker!). i'm not certain how concerned Theresa the manager is with your issues. hopefully she will fix the problem, but if she doesn't then i would most certainly go to her superiors.

jp49911

imported post

acritical wrote:
So, JP...

What is the ammo status at that Wal-Mart? :)
Practically out of everything. No 9mm or .40 for sure and when they are in stock they have a 2 box max. It's a shame cause as another thread talks about, Wlamart really does have the cheapest ammo.

thefirststrike

imported post

Good job James, sounds like you handled the whole incident/s well.

I feel bad for those of you who keep having trouble with Walmart. I live in Moscow, Idaho, and maybe it is just because I live in Idaho, or maybe they have dealt with this issue before, but I have never been hassled or even approached by any employees of my Walmart, and I open carry in there EVERY time I go there.

I also open carry in my favorite local grocery store, the grocery store where my credit union is located (different from where I do my shopping), my favorite video rental store, the mall, and many other places, and have had no problems in any of them. I also open carry at the movie theatre across the border in Pullman, Washington and have never had any problems there either. I am wondering when the shoe will drop.

I have yet to test the local public library or the post office, but will probably do so once I purchase a digital voice recorder. I am sure that one of these will be the place I will likely get the police called on me.

But so far, uneventful.

Dave

Ratt402

imported post

I live close to the Wally World here on Battleground and they have a 5 box limit on ammo WHEN they do have it. I buy .40 at $12.50 a box for Brass Blazer if anyone is interested. I always OC in there and have not had any problems at all. Not even a strange look, well, that I have noticed anyways! haha

Semper Fi!

Kivuli

imported post

No, the one on Wendover is the one I usually go to. The one James goes to is the new one next to the Lowe's down on Elm-Eugene by the new 85.

BRobb19

imported post

thefirststrike wrote:

I feel bad for those of you who keep having trouble with Walmart. I live in Moscow, Idaho, and maybe it is just because I live in Idaho, or maybe they have dealt with this issue before, but I have never been hassled or even approached by any employees of my Walmart, and I open carry in there EVERY time I go there.

I also open carry in my favorite local grocery store, the grocery store where my credit union is located (different from where I do my shopping), my favorite video rental store, the mall, and many other places, and have had no problems in any of them. I also open carry at the movie theatre across the border in Pullman, Washington and have never had any problems there either. I am wondering when the shoe will drop.

I have yet to test the local public library or the post office, but will probably do so once I purchase a digital voice recorder. I am sure that one of these will be the place I will likely get the police called on me.

But so far, uneventful.

Dave
lol, so i guess if you see a cop approaching you, you'll just snatch the DVR out of your pocket and press Record and just assume that he/she is approaching because someone called to complain about you?

:?

thefirststrike

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
thefirststrike wrote:

But so far, uneventful.

Dave
lol, so i guess if you see a cop approaching you, you'll just snatch the DVR out of your pocket and press Record and just assume that he/she is approaching because someone called to complain about you?

:?
Ummm...no??!! I simply meant that until I have some method of recording the interaction, I won't risk an LEO confrontation at either of those places.

I live in a very liberal town (often referred to as the most liberal town in Idaho) and I am sure that the people who frequent the library (usually quite a few of the more liberal folks in our society) will be quick to overreact and call the cops. You know, the usual arguements...there are children here (as if the mere presence of children somehow makes me and my gun even more "dangerous" than they think I MIGHT have been otherwise), or the attitude that "what is going to happen here, this is the library" (even though our library is only about 3 blocks from where that guy shot up the sheriff's office and church and killed two people about 2 years ago).

I don't think that any of the other people in this forum who have recorded police interactions "waited" until a cop approached them to press play, they had voice activated recorders which they wore continuously, which is my intent.

And based on my experiences so far, at this point if an LEO approaches me, yes I would probably assume that someone had called about me, since I have been able to make it THIS long without someone calling the LEO's and I have worn my weapon in plenty of public places over the last year or so.

I guess I don't quite understand your comments or your apparent attempt at sarcasm. Sorry.

Dave

chiefjason

imported post

You had me all worried. Until this afternoon when I had another uneventful OC in the Hickory Walmart. Though I did get the :what: from the MCDonald's cashier when I slid the .45 forward to dig the change out of my pocket. And I think the greeter noticed on the way out. Other than that, I'm not sure anybody else saw it. Including the cashier and the guy in line I was talking to. Still trying to get my wife out with me. That will likely be the trip where I have a problem. :lol:

Hope it works out for you.

Kivuli

imported post

Decided to patron this Walmart today whilst looking for a new headset mike. No looks, no problems. Either they weren't watching or they've learned.