Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Well, I wrote an application for the iPhone

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    It allows you to search the VirginiaABC Database to look for restaurants that have ABC Restaurant Licenses! I may release it to the Apple AppStore, if anyone would be interested!

    Icon


    Landing Screen to search


    Entering your criteria


    Everything you are looking for


    Searching ABC...


    Found hsmith's favorite restaurant


    When you search and get multiple restaurants (Bunch of Chipotle's in Arlington)



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    That's pretty cool! Now...to get one of those Iphone things...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    418

    Post imported post

    That's pretty slick! Is that dynamically linked to the ABC database? If not - how often is the database refreshed?



  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    That's pretty cool! Now...to get one of those Iphone things...
    I love mine, so many great applications for it - and if you are inclined you can author your own!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    Armed wrote:
    That's pretty slick! Is that dynamically linked to the ABC database? If not - how often is the database refreshed?

    It generates a query that goes against the ABC Search form and parses the results (which is a disaster, that page is just horribly written)

    If I throw it up on the app store and people use it, I want to add a middle man query to my server, so I could grab information from it about the establishment. Like if the place is OC/Gun Friendly - The more knowledge we have about who to give us money to, the better.

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,603

    Post imported post

    Would be very useful tool. I presume avail. to PC as well.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    348

    Post imported post

    MMMM question here what states does it cover. I love my Iphone ROFL
    A gun Owner Is A Citizen
    Anyone Else is a Subject

  8. #8
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    Niiiiiiiice!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    RogueAussie wrote:
    MMMM question here what states does it cover. I love my Iphone ROFL
    I had this in the VA Forum, I don't know why it was moved here

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Would be very useful tool. I presume avail. to PC as well.

    Yata hey
    I want to write something that is extensible so anyone could "attach" to a webserver and query it - so if someone wanted to write a Blackberry application for instance, they would be able to. (And a desktop app)

  11. #11
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,603

    Post imported post

    hsmith wrote:
    RogueAussie wrote:
    MMMM question here what states does it cover. I love my Iphone ROF
    I had this in the VA Forum, I don't know why it was moved here
    It is still in the Va. forum.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    Awesome! I've got an iPhone, but that's an app that I won't be neeeding for a couple years until I am old enough to get my CHP.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Neplusultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Christiansburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,228

    Post imported post

    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    Niiiiiiiice!
    I had a hunch you'd like it :^).

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,603

    Post imported post

    hunter45 wrote:
    Awesome! I've got an iPhone, but that's an app that I won't be neeeding for a couple years until I am old enough to get my CHP.
    Well not quite right - you do go out to eat some, right. With or without a CHP you can (in fact must) OC if you are to carry. So such a list would be very beneficial to you too.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    Awesome! I've got an iPhone, but that's an app that I won't be neeeding for a couple years until I am old enough to get my CHP.
    Well not quite right - you do go out to eat some, right.* With or without a CHP you can (in fact must) OC if you are to carry.* So such a list would be very beneficial to you too.

    ******* Yata hey
    I'm not 21, so I have to OC. So why would it matter if they had an ABC license? I'm going to be OC'ing regardless.

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,603

    Post imported post

    hunter45 wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    Awesome! I've got an iPhone, but that's an app that I won't be neeeding for a couple years until I am old enough to get my CHP.
    Well not quite right - you do go out to eat some, right. With or without a CHP you can (in fact must) OC if you are to carry. So such a list would be very beneficial to you too.

    Yata hey
    I'm not 21, so I have to OC. So why would it matter if they had an ABC license? I'm going to be OC'ing regardless.
    Because it would be nice when going to a new place to know if you knew they were "friendly" or not before getting there and being asked to leave.

    Jus' my thoughts.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    Awesome! I've got an iPhone, but that's an app that I won't be neeeding for a couple years until I am old enough to get my CHP.
    Well not quite right - you do go out to eat some, right. With or without a CHP you can (in fact must) OC if you are to carry. So such a list would be very beneficial to you too.

    Yata hey
    I'm not 21, so I have to OC. So why would it matter if they had an ABC license? I'm going to be OC'ing regardless.
    Because it would be nice when going to a new place to know if you knew they were "friendly" or not before getting there and being asked to leave.

    Jus' my thoughts.

    Yata hey
    I might toss a button on the screen to have "Are they gun friendly" and start gathering data.

    I'll probably publish it in a week or so, I'll let everyone know

    There have to be a few dork's that carry

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    Awesome! I've got an iPhone, but that's an app that I won't be neeeding for a couple years until I am old enough to get my CHP.
    Well not quite right - you do go out to eat some, right.* With or without a CHP you can (in fact must) OC if you are to carry.* So such a list would be very beneficial to you too.

    ******* Yata hey
    I'm not 21, so I have to OC. So why would it matter if they had an ABC license? I'm going to be OC'ing regardless.
    Because it would be nice when going to a new place to know if you knew they were "friendly" or not before getting there and being asked to leave.

    Jus' my thoughts.

    ******** Yata hey
    So if a restaurant has an ABC license then they are gun-friendly? Sorry, I'm just really confused. :?

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    hunter45 wrote:
    So if a restaurant has an ABC license then they are gun-friendly? Sorry, I'm just really confused. :?
    No - if they have one you must OC or leave your gun in the car/home - they could be friendly or unfriendly.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    hsmith wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    So if a restaurant has an ABC license then they are gun-friendly? Sorry, I'm just really confused. :?
    No - if they have one you must OC or leave your gun in the car/home - they could be friendly or unfriendly.
    Yes, I know that. I just didn't understand the message that Grapeshot was trying to get across. He send the app would help me find out if restaurants were gun friendly (which it will be able to do if you add that feature that you just mentioned in your last post).

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    Please send me a copy! I can beta test! I've got a 3.0 key, so I can check it for compliance past the first of June

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    45

    Post imported post

    please send me info on how to access on a PC thanks:celebrate

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,603

    Post imported post

    hunter45 wrote:
    hsmith wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    So if a restaurant has an ABC license then they are gun-friendly? Sorry, I'm just really confused. :?
    No - if they have one you must OC or leave your gun in the car/home - they could be friendly or unfriendly.
    Yes, I know that. I just didn't understand the message that Grapeshot was trying to get across. He send the app would help me find out if restaurants were gun friendly (which it will be able to do if you add that feature that you just mentioned in your last post).
    Was first mentioned Mon Apr 13th, 2009 09:23 am - 16 posts up from your last posting.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, , USA
    Posts
    62

    Post imported post

    I don't have an iPhone, but I do have an iPod Touch. I would get the app, just make sure it would work iPod Touch.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    hsmith wrote:
    There have to be a few dork's that carry
    nakedshoplifter is the biggest iPhone dork I know. The guy loves to flash it around at Starbucks. I think he has a Steve Jobs poster at home.

    I don't have an iPhone, but if I ever get one this looks like a cool application (The proper word for a software program, as used by us IBM/PC types who actually use computers for productive work vice trendy slacking:celebrate).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •