• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well, I wrote an application for the iPhone

hsmith

imported post

It allows you to search the VirginiaABC Database to look for restaurants that have ABC Restaurant Licenses! I may release it to the Apple AppStore, if anyone would be interested!

Icon
11b8ax4.png

Landing Screen to search
2ij2l48.png

Entering your criteria
2rr0vna.png

Everything you are looking for
23v1guw.png

Searching ABC...
112h7x5.png

Found hsmith's favorite restaurant
20fx1co.png

When you search and get multiple restaurants (Bunch of Chipotle's in Arlington)
dfk0g9.png

nova

imported post

That's pretty cool! Now...to get one of those Iphone things...:lol:

hsmith

imported post

nova wrote:
That's pretty cool! Now...to get one of those Iphone things...:lol:
I love mine, so many great applications for it - and if you are inclined you can author your own!

hsmith

imported post

Armed wrote:
That's pretty slick! Is that dynamically linked to the ABC database? If not - how often is the database refreshed?

It generates a query that goes against the ABC Search form and parses the results (which is a disaster, that page is just horribly written)

If I throw it up on the app store and people use it, I want to add a middle man query to my server, so I could grab information from it about the establishment. Like if the place is OC/Gun Friendly - The more knowledge we have about who to give us money to, the better.

hsmith

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Would be very useful tool. I presume avail. to PC as well.

Yata hey
I want to write something that is extensible so anyone could "attach" to a webserver and query it - so if someone wanted to write a Blackberry application for instance, they would be able to. (And a desktop app)

hunter45

imported post

Awesome! I've got an iPhone, but that's an app that I won't be neeeding for a couple years until I am old enough to get my CHP.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Awesome! I've got an iPhone, but that's an app that I won't be neeeding for a couple years until I am old enough to get my CHP.
Well not quite right - you do go out to eat some, right. With or without a CHP you can (in fact must) OC if you are to carry. So such a list would be very beneficial to you too.

Yata hey

hunter45

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Well not quite right - you do go out to eat some, right.  With or without a CHP you can (in fact must) OC if you are to carry.  So such a list would be very beneficial to you too.

Yata hey

I'm not 21, so I have to OC. So why would it matter if they had an ABC license? I'm going to be OC'ing regardless.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Well not quite right - you do go out to eat some, right. With or without a CHP you can (in fact must) OC if you are to carry. So such a list would be very beneficial to you too.

Yata hey

I'm not 21, so I have to OC. So why would it matter if they had an ABC license? I'm going to be OC'ing regardless.
Because it would be nice when going to a new place to know if you knew they were "friendly" or not before getting there and being asked to leave.

Jus' my thoughts. :)

Yata hey

hsmith

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

Yata hey

Because it would be nice when going to a new place to know if you knew they were "friendly" or not before getting there and being asked to leave.

Yata hey

I might toss a button on the screen to have "Are they gun friendly" and start gathering data.

I'll probably publish it in a week or so, I'll let everyone know

There have to be a few dork's that carry :D

hunter45

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Well not quite right - you do go out to eat some, right.  With or without a CHP you can (in fact must) OC if you are to carry.  So such a list would be very beneficial to you too.

Yata hey

Yata hey

So if a restaurant has an ABC license then they are gun-friendly? Sorry, I'm just really confused. :?

hsmith

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
So if a restaurant has an ABC license then they are gun-friendly? Sorry, I'm just really confused. :?
No - if they have one you must OC or leave your gun in the car/home - they could be friendly or unfriendly.

hunter45

imported post

hsmith wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
No - if they have one you must OC or leave your gun in the car/home - they could be friendly or unfriendly.

Yes, I know that. I just didn't understand the message that Grapeshot was trying to get across. He send the app would help me find out if restaurants were gun friendly (which it will be able to do if you add that feature that you just mentioned in your last post). :)