Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open carry in VA

Post imported post

Hello to all I recently joined here and I have a question. even though I do not possess a concealed carry permit am I still within my rights to open carry? Thanks

Post imported post

simple answer, yes.

Post imported post

Thanks NOVA appreciate the reply

Post imported post

Sorry to bother you but Like I have kinda stated alittle new to this. I read the VA code from a post here and it states it is unlawful to carry a loaded pistol in public places can you help on this

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

SEABEE-94 wrote:
    Sorry to bother you but Like I have kinda stated alittle new to this. I read the VA code from a post here and it states it is unlawful to carry a loaded pistol in public places can you help on this
    Anybody got a link to all the basics like VCDL's handout card?

Welcome to OCDO!!!

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

New here and to open carrying, I read a post here that contained the VA code for OC and it states it is unlawful to do so alittle help with this would be appreceiated

Post imported post

in relation to nothing the code states it is unlawful to open carry a loaded pistol I have a beretta .40 with a blackhawk holster just want to be sure I am ok out and about OC'ing thanks for your help, I do not posses a concealed carry permit don't know if it pertains to this

Post imported post

It's illegal to OC in VA? Uh-oh, I'm in trouble. :what:

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I believe the code section you are referring to applies to certain 'assault firearms' and only in certain localities.

Anyhow if you are OCing a centerfire pistol, that isn't equipped with a magazine of more than 20 rounds, or equipped to accept a suppressor, you can carry it most everywhere not otherwise off limits (school grounds, courthouses, state and national parks, federal facilities, etc).

Post imported post

Actually just to go further on what Longwatch was saying on magazine capacity. here you go. Quoted from Jason Roggers off of forum
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/24188.html

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. (emphasis added)

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The prohibition on mag cap is limited to the places listed in blue bold bold.Note that the firearm cannont be equiped with the mag. One could carry a spare mag with as many rounds as one likes.

Dana

Post imported post

Thanks to all who helped me on a few questions!:celebrate

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

You really need to read that statute carefully to understand it. It doesnt not prohibit you from carrying a loaded handgun. It prohibits you from carrying a gun that has qualities A or B or C or D. As long has the gun doesnt have that, you're good.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    You really need to read that statute carefully to understand it. It doesnt not prohibit you from carrying a loaded handgun. It prohibits you from carrying a gun that has qualities A or B or C or D. As long has the gun doesnt have that, you're good.
    To make it simple, you can carry any handgun as long as it has a mag w/ capacity under 20rds (most handguns fit the bill) in the gun while carrying, as long as it doesn't have a threaded barrel or other suppressor attachment point, folding stock, or shotgun w/ more than 7 shot capacity.

As stated most handguns do not have those "evil" features (even ones banned by the '94 evil gun ban)

Post imported post

Can you link the URL that says OC is 'illegal' in Virginia?

It's flat out wrong but its good to always cite a source when discussing one.

Post imported post

Sorry I misread where it stated "unlawful with a mag cap of 20 rounds or more" kinda new to OC'ing thanks for your help

Post imported post

SEABEE-94 wrote:
    Sorry I misread where it stated "unlawful with a mag cap of 20 rounds or more" kinda new to OC'ing thanks for your help
    Remember to note that CHP holders are exempt from the 20 round limit.

Post imported post

I'm assuming you meant to reply to one of your other two threads you have on the first page. There's no need to hit "New Topic" when you want to reply, just click "reply."

Anyways, welcome to OCDO

Edit: Ignore my post. It appears the threads were merged.

Post imported post

anyone have a link for the VA staute on open carry so I can check it out thanks

Post imported post

You seem to be looking for a criminal code which states OC is legal in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Our system isn't set up to spell out what is LEGAL; only what is ILLEGAL.

General rule of thumb is unless you find a law in the criminal codes which states "It shall be unlawful for. . ." you're good to go.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

: snip
    mag w/ capacity under 20rds in the gun while carrying

as long as it doesn't have a threaded barrel or other suppressor attachment point, folding stock, or shotgun w/ more than 7 shot capacity.
    The statue states a capacity exceeding 20 in the magazine.

The statue says nothing about threaded barrel, it states designed by manufacturer to except a silencer (which is incorrect they are suppressors).

The statue on the 7 shot capacity limit on shotguns clearly states with the longest ammo designed to be chambered.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:

as long as it doesn't have a threaded barrel or other suppressor attachment point, folding stock, or shotgun w/ more than 7 shot capacity.

The statue says nothing about threaded barrel, it states designed by manufacturer to except a silencer (which is incorrect they are suppressors).

The statue on the 7 shot capacity limit on shotguns clearly states with the longest ammo designed to be chambered.
    thanks for specifying the specifics

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Agent19 wrote:

I'm still waiting to see the "statue" that says all this. Is she like Lady Justice, holding a scale and a sword? Or is she like Venus de Milo, missing some parts, like, say, a "T"?

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Agent19 wrote:

I'm still waiting to see the "statue" that says all this. Is she like Lady Justice, holding a scale and a sword? Or is she like Venus de Milo, missing some parts, like, say, a "T"?

statute (Oh I just saw the "statue" part now )

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-287.4

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

There are a lot of members on this website who nitpick one heck of a lot about every little thing that someone advances.

And thank God they do because this is how we spread information for all to consume. So keep on nitpicking.. it serves us all.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    "statue" , missing some parts, like, say, a "T"?

Thank you Mr. Spell checker.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast